American Airlines and British Airways Request Codeshare Approval

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Beyond the Gateway Code-Share is atleast a start for a AA/BA Alliance. This is something that should have happened years ago. Especially for flights to places like India, South Africa, Kenya, Russia & Saudi Arabia. I hope the US DOT gets off it high horse about wanting an Open Skies and does a mini-deal allowing BMI British Midland and additional US airlines into LHR. Opening up LHR should be priority ONE. With more US airlines at LHR the concerns of the DOT will have to disappear. IF DAL and CAL fly to LHR then two of the complainants become part of the solution. Approve this for the sake of a more open LHR.

It will happen. Why? Because both governments stand to make money from it. Lot's of money from the addition passengers that will now connect through the US/UK gateways.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 11/19/2002 6:09:54 PM G4G5 wrote:
[P]It will happen. Why? Because both governments stand to make money from it. Lot's of money from the addition passengers that will now connect through the US/UK gateways. [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]
[P] [FONT size=1]I hope you are right G4, I still have nagging doubts that the DOT may force the LHR access issue as a condition of approval.[/FONT][/P]

I hope the DOT takes whatever deal opens LHR. It as been waiting for the Royal Flush(OPen Skies) with no success.

DOT didn't force the LHR issue when they approved UAL/bmi a few months ago.

If UA can codeshare on ORD-MAN (operated by BD) and LHR-GLA (operated by BD), why should't AA be able to codeshare on JFK-MAN (operated by BA) or on LHR-GLA (operated by BA)???

If BD can codeshare on ORD-STL (operated by UA), why shouldn't BA be able to codeshare on ORD-STL (operated by AA)???

Looks to me like once UA/BD was approved, the genie was let out of the bottle on codesharing beyond the US and UK gateways, as it was on the non-London routes.

They can't code-share from say JFK,BOS ORD,LAX,SFP to LHR. Man and GLA are crumbs compared to LHR

The codesharing to/from GLA, MAN, and BHX might be crumbs but the codesharing beyond all of those points you mention above is not.

It's a much bigger deal in markets like LHR-AUS, LAX-GVA, EDI-MIA, and ORD-JNB, which currently appear as interline connections between AA and BA, and are therefore lower on availability displays...

Status
Not open for further replies.