American Airlines Cancels Flight Due to Hostile Passengers

Back to topic:

This is old news. We had police stationed at the LGA- West Palm flights and actually had tee shirts that said, "I survived flight 4 and flight 5".

New York- Florida flights are notorious for bad behavior. Don't know where the folks are from but rarely did one go without incident. And "back in the day", trays would come back stripped, all tea, sugar, and sugar substitutes gone, and if you needd to evacuate, a deck of cards was thrown down the slide.

Some things NEVER change.
Wow! Sounds like they should have gotten extra pay for that. When were LGA-WPB Flights 4/5? Sounds like they need Air Marshalls or Cops on that flight for Crowd Control.

The inbound international leg the fa's were working was 1.5 hrs late, so it wasn't their faults. Obviously, either the people were unreasonable and didn't care why or they weren't informed that it was beyond their control. Apparently, they were horrible and unruly to the agents also, yelling and using profanities, so my guess is, they were just unreasonable and wanted to be hateful to everyone who had to deal with them. When the booing turned into major mob mentality it was time to call it quits. I wouldn't want to be stuck at 36,000 with aggressive idiots like that.

There should be cameras at every gate recording passenger behavior. It should be recorded and passengers that demonstrate rude and threatening behavior should be banned from flying (even permanently) at the airline management's discretion. Sort of like a bouncer ejecting a drunk from a bar, with a "and don't come back" added at the end. We don't need or want the business of jerks, creeps, and violent people. In fact, that'd be a selling point for me to fly that airline.

Most of MIA does have cameras both at the gates and on the ramps. I don't know about Concourse E in the satellite though, I'm surprised the satellite has toilets let alone jetbridges!

The problem with your idea is that nothing else would get done they would be so busy watching video footage. MIA seems to get more than it's share of bunghole passengers. Hell I've been known to throw a snit or two myself on occasion, depending on the reason for the delay.

Out of my own curiosity, was it a NYC or MIA crew? It doesn't mean a thing either way. I have been both a MIA gate agent and a MIA flight attendant and I can tell you it doesn't take very much for a delayed MIA-NYC flight to get out of hand. I have often wanted to stab myself in the eye with a stir stick on those flights...it is that special of a market.

MIA and NYC crews are pretty thick-skinned so it must have been an extreme situation for them to walk. I think the crew probably had a very long, trying day and they just snapped. Also, I think the flight was supposed to leave around 9pm and that is prime-time bar hour at the airport...ESPECIALLY during a flight delay. Too many drinkypoos can equal belligerence and you can't install a Breathalyzer at every gate. If this was a holiday weekend, even worse. Sounds like a powder keg to me.

In response to the "nation of whiners" quote (I agree), did anyone see the video of the family that was denied boarding on their Southwest connection in Phoenix because the kids were so disruptive on the previous flight? They wanted COMPENSATION for this. Good grief.

Coop

SLT

And "compensation" they got. A full refund of their ticket prices which means they ended up getting a free ride to Phoenix. With the size of that babe, she ate some serious fuel for the ride!!

I might have refunded the last segment for PHX/SEA but certainly not the whole thing. I don't know what Southwest was worried about, a plane load of witnesses pretty much makes the idea of a lawsuit moot.

Yeah, she looked like a WN "two-seater". I think the blonde methed-out looking sister (who I hope TO GOD wasn't the pregnant one) balanced it out though, lol! I can see them booking it online, hmmm...let's see...airline tickets or the dentist? Airline tickets it is!

Now that my inner Evil is out...I'm sure they paid FAR MORE for multiple last minute PHX-SEA tickets than those WN tickets.

By refunding the entire segment, WN's side of the street is clean, IMHO.

I think you really have to be an extreme kind of disruptive to be denied boarding on WN. They truly are amazing at what they do and how they handle issues.

I would have loved to see interviews with the other passengers on the DTW-PHX segment. Can you imagine?

Coop

SLT

Hey Bears!

Well, if Miami-Dade Police still responds like they did in the late 90's they just might now be arriving at the gate...lol! The Port Authority they ain't.

Nothing makes me more sentimental than reminiscing about the riots on insanely oversold and/or heavily delayed PAP flights.

I get really choked up when I think about "Black Friday"...2 severe thunderstorms collided right over MIA airport for hours causing delays of 9 hours or more. Planes couldn't be marshalled in for about 4 hours due to lightning strikes and the lines for rebooking passengers went outside from C concourse to F concourse. Mmm...good times. Good times. :p

Coop

SLT