American Airlines Flight Delayed 9 Hours by Heavy Snow, Mechanical Problem

• Delta would never have done such a thing, never has, never will, is in fact incapable of allowing it to happen thanks to Divine Grace.
  • Dougie drinks and only knows how to make morale lower.  The 4% everyone was robbed of made the snow fall harder and the airplane more prone to breakage.
  • This was somehow the fault of the TWU, its inherent corruption and incompetence and its being in bed with management; it has to be, everything bad is.

There, I just saved everyone a bunch of trouble.

regardless of whose fault it was, AA cxld 2/3 of its flights at DFW today after an unprecedentedly horrid week of operations at DFW this week.

it is worth noting that one of the big 4 didn't cxl a single flight at DFW today and WN operated 91% of its flights at DAL.

let's be honest that snow and ice are not that unusual in N. Texas.

If AA has to repeatedly cancel half or more of its DFW operation multiple times per winter, someone really has to be asking questions how the 2nd largest airline hub can't get figure out how to work in the weather that exists in that region.

considering the high level of cancellations, AA's largest hub has effectively been rendered to not function as a hub with that level of cancellations.

WorldTraveler said:
it is worth noting that one of the big 4 didn't cxl a single flight at DFW today and WN operated 91% of its flights at DAL.

If AA has to repeatedly cancel half or more of its DFW operation multiple times per winter, someone really has to be asking questions how the 2nd largest airline hub can't get figure out how to work in the weather that exists in that region.

considering the high level of cancellations, AA's largest hub has effectively been rendered to not function as a hub with that level of cancellations.

Pitiful, ain't it!

Oh the humanity..

My normally sanguine commute from MCO to PHX was turned to mincemeat as the FL->West Coast AA passengers were "accommodated" on the available seats open on their wholly owned subsidiary (not Envoy).

So I'll let everyone know how my first experience on....yes, DL via SLC... in I guess over 30 years goes. I didn't know that the 757 seat numbers went that high :p  I'll probably get off the plane about 40 minutes after they open the door :)

Is "E" a middle seat???

(I'm jk...I know it is)

I'll look at the bright side, maybe I'll have an aisle near the front of the plane on the SLC-PHX segment :)

WorldTraveler said:
regardless of whose fault it was, AA cxld 2/3 of its flights at DFW today after an unprecedentedly horrid week of operations at DFW this week.

FWIW Delta canceled a lot of flights over the last week at ATL. 

But thats different because Delta is allowed to cancel flights. Not any other airline though

WorldTraveler said:
.If AA has to repeatedly cancel half or more of its DFW operation multiple times per winter, someone really has to be asking questions how the 2nd largest airline hub can't get figure out how to work in the weather that exists in that region.considering the high level of cancellations, AA's largest hub has effectively been rendered to not function as a hub with that level of cancellations.
DL's LGA operation says hello...

When you have employees that don't give a damn about the operation, these things tend to happen. You get what you pay for.

which is precisely why profit sharing is just a powerful motivator.

tell me why WN was able to and consistently is better able to keep their operation moving at DAL better than AA is at DFW?

perhaps AA really doesn't invest in the equipment but WN does.... but AA has issued repeated ground stops because of gate gridlock... and this is before DFW becomes rebanked.

FWIW Delta canceled a lot of flights over the last week at ATL. 

But thats different because Delta is allowed to cancel flights. Not any other airline though
yes they did, but I don't think DL cancelled 2/3 of the operation on any day.

given that you can't equate the weather in ATL and DFW as being equal - and ice is a huge impediment to the operation regardless of where it occurs including in the northern US, I'm not even trying to argue that AA handled a specific weather event differently.

the qustion that is being asked is why AA has so much higher rates of cancellation at DFW than other airlines have on a consistent basis.
and let's be honest that US does a far better job of managing IROPS than AA does. that was supposed to be one of the benefits of the merger that US would positively influence AA's IROP operations - but that hasn't yet happened.

further, comparing LGA and DFW belies the fact that DFW is one of the world's largest airports in terms of area while LGA is one of the smallest and most dense in terms of operations per acre.
even in good weather, ATC does a Herculean job of getting all of the traffic at LGA in the right place. It isn't terribly hard to realize that when deicing is involved and delays add up, LGA must cancel far more than other airports....
again the question is why AA at DFW, one of the largest hubs at one of the largest airports cancels on a repeated basis so much higher percentage of flights than other carriers at other hubs, many of which have less room to operate on.

btw, ATL is building even more deicing pads and moving them far enough way from the concourses to minimize congestion.

Tater Salad said:
When you have employees that don't give a damn about the operation, these things tend to happen. You get what you pay for.
Even before the attitudes of the majority of mechs hit the all time lows of today, during a crew meeting a long time ago, a manager says, "right now you guys rank fifth for on time deptarture and MELs," someone says "that's fine because we are the fifth highest paid" we all laughed. I don't think we would laugh today. 12 years is long enough for this level of concessions.

There's a line for voting yes to take concessions to save your company, then there's a line for just being taken advantage of.

Those pax got home safe, while traveling home during a storm. Just say thanks !!!

WorldTraveler said:

which is precisely why profit sharing is just a powerful motivator.

tell me why WN was able to and consistently is better able to keep their operation moving at DAL better than AA is at DFW?

perhaps AA really doesn't invest in the equipment but WN does.... but AA has issued repeated ground stops because of gate gridlock... and this is before DFW becomes rebanked.

yes they did, but I don't think DL cancelled 2/3 of the operation on any day.

given that you can't equate the weather in ATL and DFW as being equal - and ice is a huge impediment to the operation regardless of where it occurs including in the northern US, I'm not even trying to argue that AA handled a specific weather event differently.

the qustion that is being asked is why AA has so much higher rates of cancellation at DFW than other airlines have on a consistent basis.
and let's be honest that US does a far better job of managing IROPS than AA does. that was supposed to be one of the benefits of the merger that US would positively influence AA's IROP operations - but that hasn't yet happened.

further, comparing LGA and DFW belies the fact that DFW is one of the world's largest airports in terms of area while LGA is one of the smallest and most dense in terms of operations per acre.
even in good weather, ATC does a Herculean job of getting all of the traffic at LGA in the right place. It isn't terribly hard to realize that when deicing is involved and delays add up, LGA must cancel far more than other airports....
again the question is why AA at DFW, one of the largest hubs at one of the largest airports cancels on a repeated basis so much higher percentage of flights than other carriers at other hubs, many of which have less room to operate on.

btw, ATL is building even more deicing pads and moving them far enough way from the concourses to minimize congestion.
Thats not completely true. 

Delta would rather not have to go all the way over to Delta North and cross the two runways to deice. I can only imagine the fun of taxing to DeltaNorth, deicing

then getting sent to 10/28 for T/O. yikes.

but because the Airport has that drainage issue thats where they put it. I have been half expecting one of these day them ripping up the ramp in from of TOC and putting in the drainage system and be able to deice over there.   

Latest posts

Back