American Airlines limiting passengers on some jets

American Airlines to limit passengers on some jets to match capacity of life rafts

DALLAS (AP) -- American Airlines is limiting the number of passengers on some planes while it orders additional life rafts needed in case of a water landing like the one made this month on the Hudson River by a US Airways jet.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090128/american_ai...rafts.html?.v=1
Someone correct me if I wrong....
Point # 1 is that flights like those taking off from LGA do not require Liferafts because it is technically not classified as an overwater trip. I do not remember how many miles off the coast is the classification.
Point # 2 This is AA's great management planning in it's full glory. Let's take away closets and galleys and lavs, and add extra seats to increase revenue, but oops....we forgot about passenger and crew safety! We don't have enough seats in case of an overwater landing! Oh my, let's block those seats....before the FAA finds out!
IDIOTS

Someone correct me if I wrong....
Point # 1 is that flights like those taking off from LGA do not require Liferafts because it is technically not classified as an overwater trip. I do not remember how many miles off the coast is the classification.
You are correct as long as AA has no flights to/from LGA that would go far enough offshore tto require meeting the EOW requirements - the US A320 operating flight 1549 was EOW equipped which met the requirements by having slide/rafts at all 4 doors instead of separate rafts.

However, the article says that only the 767-300's are being limited until additional rafts are installed since they primarily do trans-Atlantic flights. The rest of the fleet, according to the article, is properly equipped.

Jim

You would of thought 8 seats did not make a difference when they started adding them a few years ago....
Most of our flights out of LGA are not overwater equipped, we do have a ouple that fly down to MIA that occasionally get an OW equipped aircraft along with a corresponding flight plan. (50 miles offshore but less than 162 Nautical miles offshore which makes it oceanic).

I think AA did the right thing by identifying this problem and having you boys on the ground get it fixed. Passenger safety should always come first.

I have become a cynic with AA, they probably did it because they found out there was going to be some kind of safety audit....
Sorry, but it's beginning to look a lot like the last airline I worked at.

Well with the economy the way it is, I don't think having 8 less seats will be an issue.
<_< ----- Those wouldn't be the same seats we added during the 763 CIP Program, now would it? Your telling me AA's Engineering Dept. screwed up again???----- No!!! :shock:

Removing lavs to add a few seats is a strategic blunder that goes far higher than AA's Engineering Dep't.

<_< ----- Those wouldn't be the same seats we added during the 763 CIP Program, now would it? Your telling me AA's Engineering Dept. screwed up again???----- No!!! :shock:

The Designers of Engines haven't a thing to do with this manner of stupidity - they're guilty of quite a bit, but not this. Sounds more like the darlings in Marketing are running the airline with their infallible logic.

AA's not the only one who screwed up here -- they couldn't even start the mod or the seat installs without the FAA signing off....

AA's not the only one who screwed up here -- they couldn't even start the mod or the seat installs without the FAA signing off....

What?? It's a raft capacity issue, not a seat issue. We know AA management is no good in leading people, but at least I thought they were pretty good at counting.

They'll probably want to knock another 25 cents of pilot contract rates to pay for the lost revenue.

What?? It's a raft capacity issue, not a seat issue. We know AA management is no good in leading people, but at least I thought they were pretty good at counting.

Funny thing...they never seem to miscalculate when it comes to executive PUPs.

However, the article says that only the 767-300's are being limited until additional rafts are installed since they primarily do trans-Atlantic flights. The rest of the fleet, according to the article, is properly equipped.
The temporary seating restriction, based on aircraft raft capacity, applies only to international and Hawaii flights, not to domestic flights operating within the 48 contiguous states.

Latest posts