American Airlines to expand in-flight Web access

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
American Airlines to expand in-flight Web access

American Airlines plans to expand Internet access to about half its fleet of aircraft over the next two years as it attempts to raise revenue and improve customer service.

The company said Tuesday it will install flying Wi-Fi hot spots on about 300 planes used in the continental U.S. and charge up to $12.95 for browsing the Web, sending e-mail or connecting with corporate VPN sites.

American has been testing in-flight Internet service for several months on 15 planes. The airline declined to give figures on usage during the test, but an American technology executive called the response positive.

"American Airlines is a very financially driven airline," said the executive, Doug Backelin. "We are especially careful in how we're spending, but this is a good strategic investment, something our customers will value."

full story here

This is awesome, but I'm surprised they aren't retrofitting the existing 737-800 fleet (as well as installing it on new arrivals). The MD-80's fly shorter legs and, therefore, will generate less revenue. Not to mention their days are numbered (relatively speaking) in the fleet.

Does this use a ground network? And if so, does this mean we won't see internet on international routes anytime soon?

I believe it's Aircell's network.

If you're just surfing out of boredom, maybe it's too steep, but $12.95 might still be worth it on a one hour flight if it means getting that much more work done before arriving at a meeting.

This is awesome, but I'm surprised they aren't retrofitting the existing 737-800 fleet
They are. All 77 current 737's will be retrofitted.

This is a smart move. Much cheaper than new seats with TV's and all the associated wiring. Even an older plane like the 80's will be that much more tolerable than they are now. They'll have to increase the number of seat power jacks, however.

MK

but $12.95 might still be worth it on a one hour flight if it means getting that much more work done before arriving at a meeting.
Here's the price list:

􀂾 $12.95 for flights over 1150 miles
􀂾 $9.95 for flights under 1150 miles
􀂾 $7.95 for accessing the internet on your handheld device (PDA, I-phone, etc)
􀂾 $5.95 on all nighter flights (currently a promotional rate)

MK

Haven't seen any mention of that.

Personally, I'd like to see them go the route BA and IB did -- yank out the auto adapter plugs and go with the 110V plug that can accommodate the 2-pin European plug or the grounded US plug. I don't mind having to carry the second adapter, but a lot of people don't want to plunk down another $90-150 for a second power supply just to use for air/auto.

The 75Ls have 110v AC plugs and I've heard that the new 738s will be so equipped.

While I applaud the use of the normal AC plugs, expect some complaints when someone brings the auto-style 15v DC adaptor, finds themselves on an AC plug-equipped plane and doesn't have their 110v adaptor handy.

Latest posts