AA Goes Broadband

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
FORT WORTH, Texas – American Airlines, a founding member of the global oneworld® Alliance, has signed a memorandum of intent with AirCell, LLC, to be the first U.S. airline to test the capability of providing passengers with AirCell’s high-speed broadband connectivity. The test will be conducted in 2008 on American’s Boeing 767-200 aircraft that primarily fly transcontinental routes.

“We understand that broadband connectivity is important to our business customers and others who want to use their PDAs and laptops for real-time, inflight broadband communications,†said Dan Garton, American’s Executive Vice President – Marketing. “This is part of our continuing effort to enhance the travel experience for our customers and meet their evolving needs.â€

The solution will provide passengers with a high-speed Internet connection, VPN access and e-mail capabilities through Wi-Fi-enabled laptops and PDA devices. The system has the ability to adapt as technology evolves. The technology will be available in all classes of the B767-200 aircraft for a fee. If the connectivity solution is successful, it could be extended to the rest of American’s domestic fleet.

http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pressRel...nectivity.jhtml

This is great news! Might American Airlines be on the first domestic airline to offer something people want? Usually we wait for our competition to upgrade and then follow suit. Passengers will love this and maybe we can even make a little money by charging for it.

WOW...!

Its been some time since the words "American Airlines" and "first to offer" have been muttered in a sentence in a positive light since the AAdvantage program!!!

As down as I am on the Company, I will give props to this effort. If the system works, its a step in the right direction....

What about VOIP capability? If they have broadband, there is no reason that the customer can not use the VOIP capability if he/she has a mike in the PC.

While this might be shielded because all the other broadband uses are shielded, it does not solve the problem of...

3A: (after ringing call light) "Stewardess, tell the lady in 4A to pipe down. She is talking so loud to her husband that I can't hear my important business phone call."
4A: "Tell Mr. important business man to shove it. In fact, tell him he is talking so loudly on his phone that I can't hear myself think."
5E: (on VOIP) "She did what? No, she didn't. No. Don't tell me that. What? No, she didn't."

F/A: (in galley while opening a vein): "I've been a good person. Tried hard to please people. What did I do to deserve this?" :lol:

UPDATE:
3:56PM EST

American Airlines To Test Onboard High-Speed Internet Service

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP)--American Airlines said it will be the first U.S. carrier to test high-speed Internet service in flight.

The airline said Wednesday that it will test the service next year on some Boeing 767-200 jets that mostly fly transcontinental routes.

American will charge a fee for the hookup but said it didn't know how much that would be.

American, a unit of AMR Corp. (AMR), said it signed a memorandum of intent with AirCell LLC to provide the service.

AirCell will build cellular towers throughout the continental U.S. to transmit the signals. Planes will have three antennas, two on the bottom and one on top.

The service will work with WiFi-equipped notebook computers and PDAs, the airline said.

The Fort Worth-based airline's executive vice president of marketing, Daniel P. Garton, said if the service is a success, it could be expanded throughout American's fleet.

The airline expects demand for the service to come from business travelers.

The use of Internet and wireless signals is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Federal Communications Commission.

Sorry about the formatting, I don't seem to have any controls
to clean it up. Perhaps they are still updating.

What about VOIP capability? If they have broadband, there is no reason that the customer can not use the VOIP capability if he/she has a mike in the PC.

There are ways to try and block VOIP, but if they're allowing VPN to work, it will be difficult.

Also... it appears that Crandall sits on the board of AirCell, so I guess it shouldn't be such a shock that AA would be the testbed.

There are ways to try and block VOIP, but if they're allowing VPN to work, it will be difficult.

Also... it appears that Crandall sits on the board of AirCell, so I guess it shouldn't be such a shock that AA would be the testbed.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I LOVE IT !!

"(Uncle) BOBBY rides AGAIN" :up: :up: :up:

I was initially (and still am) concerned about the f/as having to play referee in the whose talking louder/whose cell phone conversation is more important/etc. battles.

However, a friend brought up a security issue...

If terrorists can use laptops or cell phones to communicate with each other in different cabins of the a/c, how are we (the f/as) supposed to monitor such activity if use of those tools is allowed?

While this might be shielded because all the other broadband uses are shielded, it does not solve the problem of...

3A: (after ringing call light) "Stewardess, tell the lady in 4A to pipe down. She is talking so loud to her husband that I can't hear my important business phone call."
4A: "Tell Mr. important business man to shove it. In fact, tell him he is talking so loudly on his phone that I can't hear myself think."
5E: (on VOIP) "She did what? No, she didn't. No. Don't tell me that. What? No, she didn't."

F/A: (in galley while opening a vein): "I've been a good person. Tried hard to please people. What did I do to deserve this?" :lol:

I wouldn't worry about that. People gab on cell phones because it's practically free.

Not once in all the flights I took that had seatback phones did I ever witness someone using it, let alone in an annoying way.

Presumably this service will cost less than $5/minute but I'm sure it won't be cheap.

I wouldn't worry about that. People gab on cell phones because it's practically free.

Not once in all the flights I took that had seatback phones did I ever witness someone using it, let alone in an annoying way.

Presumably this service will cost less than $5/minute but I'm sure it won't be cheap.

In contrast, AA should just give the damn tickets away, then charge up the gumstump for onboard ameneties. I for one would pay a respectable price for a good meal and decent entertainment, especially on those long hauls.

Beat me, rape me, make me wear a lime-green speedo, but DON'T make me fly coach class!

Latest posts