American Airlines to Move US Airways to Its Reservation System Oct. 17

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20150711_US_Airways_flight_bookings_moving_to_American_s_reservations_system.html

American wants to avoid the operational and customer service problems that occurred when US Airways and America West merged in 2005. When the reservations system switch occurred on March 4, 2007, Philadelphia's dominant airline was nearly brought to a halt. Passengers could not check in for flights, and many flights were canceled. Travelers had check-in and reservation problems for days.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20150711_US_Airways_flight_bookings_moving_to_American_s_reservations_system.html#2HOb3Wfm1DafofHH.99

To be fair, Jim, I expect the core reservations system to work fine, since that's Sabre.

The web, mobile apps and airport kiosk stuff? Yeah, don't hold your breath on all that.

Reactions: 1 person
FWIW, the three-month reservations migration appears to have begun today on schedule.  usairways.com redirects to aa.com for booking if any segment in the itinerary involves travel after 10/17/2015, and I no longer see US flights on Orbitz and elsewhere for travel in late October.

All pessimism and cynicism about anything AA does wrong on a regular basis aside, this is going to be relatively painless on the IT side. Sabre does this on a regular basis, and isn't going to allow their reputation to get caught up in a media shite-storm if it fails.

Where it may fail are if there are bitter clingers who can't deal with the fact that most of US's automation was crap, and now it's going away.

Ok, it looks like the migration worked. I figured that since Travel US would not let me check flight availability after 10/16,  starting today I could go to NRTP and check US flights that would now show up as AA operated.  Not so.  So, if I wanted to travel say BOSCLT on 10/17, I won't be able to check availability, or check in until that morning? 

Well, if you mean the AA Non-Rev Travel Program, there is no way to check any October segment this far in advance.  For October, you would have to wait until after Aug. 1.  The system has never allowed non-rev bookings more than 2 months in advance.

However, I just checked for 18AUG and 18SEP.  It shows the flights on BOS-CLT, and they are all US Airways (as of now), but the system does not yet allow you to select them.  Don't know what's going on there.  Obviously, our (employees) little portion of the great migration has not yet happened.

Jim, I just checked or 10/14 and not only did it give me the JFKLAX availabilities.  it let me list on a segment. I knew you couldn't see availabilities  or list on US flights on AA's NR site but it did show they existed.  Now, when you check for a say, US route after 10/16, it doesn't even show them.  Maybe that will phase in eventually as you suggested. 

When I looked on aa.com earlier, the old US flights weren't yet loaded as AA flights even though the US flights were gone.  For example, aa.com routed me through ORD, etc. for DCA-LGA, and aa.com routed me on BA or other airports for PHL-CDG.  Looks like the old US flights have been pulled and are being relisted as AA flights.  I imagine this takes some time to load and propagate.

I just checked again.  I'm starting to see legacy US routes now listed as AA flights (without the Operated by US Airways notation).  DCA-LGA and PHL-CDG both now appear.  And, the regional flights are now showing as "Operated by xxx As American Eagle" in lieu of "Operated by US Airways Express-xxx".

IORFA said:
As with most things AA, it is light years ahead of the USAir crapola!

I cannot speak ot other areas but in Tech Ops that couldn't be further from the truth. AA's IT systems and procedures makes US or even old AWA look like modern tech savvy firms by comparison. Everything is beyond limited, old and antiquated and the policies and procedures to match.

Latest posts