American needs JFK-IAH service

I think the OP has a valid question. AA operates many nonstops to non-core AA markets even many vacation destinations like LAS, MCO, or TPA. While CO is the dominant carrier, it is still a huge market (among top 10 metropolitan areas) with considerable oil and some financial presence. I seem to recall DL may have had a nonstop IAH-JFK back when CO was in SkyTeam. Why does AA have AUS-JFK but nothing to IAH
AA does not fly JFK-AUS nonstop. Perhaps you're looking at jetBlue? As you probably know, AA has long flown direct (not nonstop, but direct one-stop) flights from LGA to AUS with a stop at DFW (currently) and, in the past, LGA-HOU/IAH-AUS. That's because the LGA perimeter does not allow nonstop flights to AUS from LGA.

For much of the past 20 years, AA has flown very few (sometimes not a single one) flights between ORD and JFK. When someone asked "why doesn't AA fly ORD-JFK nonstops?" the answer was usually because there were no international destinations from JFK that could not be reached from ORD or DFW. The only reason AA would have to fly pasengers from Houston to JFK would be to fly on an international flight from JFK that you could not reach from DFW or ORD. There may be one or two flights that meet that description, and if so, AA has determined that Houston passengers aren't sufficient for a Houston-JFK flight.

Of course, AA has long flown numerous daily LGA-ORD/DFW flights to capture the large NYC O&D market. Passengers in NYC who want to go to Houston have numerous choices from LGA and EWR to both HOU and IAH, just not on AA. Why not AA? AA is currently the highest-cost provider (and will be until the bankruptcy trims expenses) and the fact that Houston and Newark are the largest UA/CO hubs. UA doesn't maintain a very extensive schedule between DFW and MIA, two large AA hubs. Although things may have changed recently, for a while, UA did not fly mainline planes between ORD and MIA or between ORD and DFW, also large AA hub pairs. Ted may have flown to MIA and UA flew a few RJs between ORD and DFW.

B6 is a low-cost airline that captures the few who are willing to fly from JFK. Once AA reduces its expenses, perhaps it would make sense to fly LGA-Houston again. If AA enlarges its international flight offerings from JFK to cities not served from ORD or DFW or MIA, then perhaps a limited JFK-Houston schedule would make sense.

AA's JFK flights to LAS, MCO and TPA primarily exist to connect international passengers to those popular destinations, not because AA is targeting the domestic O&D. Houston is a fun city, but it's not at the top of the list for AA's international customers.

I realize that this post goes beyond the OP's "Dots on the Map" analysis, and for that I apologize.

I think they should buy an A380 and fly from JFK to LGA then to EWR, who wants to take a bus or a subway anymore!

Reactions: 1 person
AA does not fly JFK-AUS nonstop. Perhaps you're looking at jetBlue? As you probably know, AA has long flown direct (not nonstop, but direct one-stop) flights from LGA to AUS with a stop at DFW (currently) and, in the past, LGA-HOU/IAH-AUS. That's because the LGA perimeter does not allow nonstop flights to AUS from LGA.

For much of the past 20 years, AA has flown very few (sometimes not a single one) flights between ORD and JFK. When someone asked "why doesn't AA fly ORD-JFK nonstops?" the answer was usually because there were no international destinations from JFK that could not be reached from ORD or DFW. The only reason AA would have to fly pasengers from Houston to JFK would be to fly on an international flight from JFK that you could not reach from DFW or ORD. There may be one or two flights that meet that description, and if so, AA has determined that Houston passengers aren't sufficient for a Houston-JFK flight.

Of course, AA has long flown numerous daily LGA-ORD/DFW flights to capture the large NYC O&D market. Passengers in NYC who want to go to Houston have numerous choices from LGA and EWR to both HOU and IAH, just not on AA. Why not AA? AA is currently the highest-cost provider (and will be until the bankruptcy trims expenses) and the fact that Houston and Newark are the largest UA/CO hubs. UA doesn't maintain a very extensive schedule between DFW and MIA, two large AA hubs. Although things may have changed recently, for a while, UA did not fly mainline planes between ORD and MIA or between ORD and DFW, also large AA hub pairs. Ted may have flown to MIA and UA flew a few RJs between ORD and DFW.

B6 is a low-cost airline that captures the few who are willing to fly from JFK. Once AA reduces its expenses, perhaps it would make sense to fly LGA-Houston again. If AA enlarges its international flight offerings from JFK to cities not served from ORD or DFW or MIA, then perhaps a limited JFK-Houston schedule would make sense.

AA's JFK flights to LAS, MCO and TPA primarily exist to connect international passengers to those popular destinations, not because AA is targeting the domestic O&D. Houston is a fun city, but it's not at the top of the list for AA's international customers.

I realize that this post goes beyond the OP's "Dots on the Map" analysis, and for that I apologize.

Actually American does fly non-stop from JFK to Austin. Check Wikipedia!

Seriously?

Wikipedia?

Check www.aa.com, I just did and they dont fly JFK-AUS non-stop, it shows JFK-LAX, and then LAX-AUS or JFK-DFW and then DFW to AUS.

I believe AA's own web page is a little bit more accurate then Wiki, you make this way too easy!

Go back to Airline CEO Wiz on Wii and see if you are winning, lol!

Reactions: 2 people
Ever think that they dont want to compete against UA out of EWR?

If there was money to be made on that route they would fly it.

I think they should buy an A380 and fly from JFK to LGA then to EWR, who wants to take a bus or a subway anymore!

I think you forgot the "sarcasm" tag. American does not have A380s and I haven't read anything that says American is interested in buying some. Plus, waste of money on a twin decked aircraft on a flight that is only several miles long. Maybe in your dreams 700UW.

You are way too easy to get.

I guess you cant even get sarcasm, and you dont understand what you read. We all know AA doesnt have any A380s and none on order, that is why in my sarcastic post I said they should "buy" them.

Reactions: 2 people

I guess you cant even get sarcasm, and you dont understand what you read. We all know AA doesnt have any A380s and none on order, that is why in my sarcastic post I said they should "buy" them.

You should get back to worrying about the recent IAM decertifications at CO and DL. After all isn't the union a business and fewer members mean less dues revenue?

Josh

According to thisthe route resumes 4/3/2012. Still shocking that AUS gets a direct flight yet nothing to IAH.
Looks like it resumes the same day as JFK-FCO (Rome). Just a wild ass guess here - AA probably knows it has a more loyal following in Austin for European destinations like Rome than it has in Houston. Before B6 got in the way, AA was the airline of choice between AUS and BOS as well as AUS and SJC. Domestic upgrades are not easy in Austin even for EXPs.

Oh, Dear God, just shoot me now. Who forgot to turn the parental controls on?

This is why some forums put all new members on moderation....

Lol!!! :)-D.....ok, ok ALL of ya stop it... other mechs are looking at me "wth"??
:)-D ohh shoot. Actually I needed a good leg slapper.

I do get what I read, just that yor post sounded very stupid