American to park 10% of MD-80s to cut U.S. capacity

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
American to park 10% of MD-80s to cut U.S. capacity

Texas-based American said Wednesday that it would ground at least 25 of its 219-jet fleet of McDonnell Douglas MD-80s, aging workhorses that handle most of its flights within the U.S. American is gradually replacing the narrow-bodies with Boeing 737-800 jets, which burn about 35 percent less fuel.

This is the second capacity reduction announced by American, which is joining Delta and United airlines in trimming money-losing flights within the U.S., while boosting flights on higher-margin overseas routes as jet fuel prices hit the stratosphere.

Reactions: 1 person
Not great news for those of us hanging on to the bottom of the list by our fingernails, but it's only fair to quote from later in the same article:

American said it intended to take delivery of two additional Boeing 777-300ERs, bringing to five the total number of new wide-body jets it will add to its fleet during 2012 and 2013 to support overseas flying.

The latest network tweaks will reduce American's flying within the U.S. by .5 percent for the year, while boosting international capacity by 8.1 percent for the year.

MK

Not great news for those of us hanging on to the bottom of the list by our fingernails, but it's only fair to quote from later in the same article:

American said it intended to take delivery of two additional Boeing 777-300ERs, bringing to five the total number of new wide-body jets it will add to its fleet during 2012 and 2013 to support overseas flying.

The latest network tweaks will reduce American's flying within the U.S. by .5 percent for the year, while boosting international capacity by 8.1 percent for the year.

MK
I would not be worried about this. I also believe that yes we may be retiring 25 S-80s but we are still taking delivery of 737s . Maybe not one for one but still getting new airplanes. Also heard on the picket line yesterday from a union rep that AA is getting ready to hire 1400 F/As next year. Good news for all.... I think we need some fresh faces around town.

AA can easily park MD80s. It doesn't take much to maintain the existing schedule when you look at replacement aircraft as mentioned, and getting another 2-3% better utilization out of the rest of the fleet.

Another 90 days, $135 per bbl oil and another 10% grunding of Md-80's.

Keep pounding the chest and ignoring the facts though management seems to be so why not labor too? Please pull back on the yoke before she slams the ground if you don't mind.

Arpey doesn't seem to act until some institutional investor or over priced consulting firm prods him to act.

MK

I'm hanging on to the bottom of the list by a hangnail myself, so I'm continuously worried about yet ANOTHER furlough. However, here's one bright spot of information to think about. Before AA can furlough any F/A's they have to furlough their brand new 30 Mandarin speakers FIRST. And obviously AA apparently needed them bad enough for our new service to Beijing to pound out a deal with the union circumventing the order of recall. I don't think AA wants them gone.

Also heard on the picket line yesterday from a union rep that AA is getting ready to hire 1400 F/As next year. Good news for all.... I think we need some fresh faces around town.

I heard straight from the horses mouth of Flight Service at HDQ in July of 2007 that by Spring 2008 all the remaining TWA F/A's would be recalled and AA would be hiring off the street that Summer of 2008. There was a lot of optimism at that time. Well, we still have F/A's on furlough and no new faces. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm hanging on to the bottom of the list by a hangnail myself, so I'm continuously worried about yet ANOTHER furlough. However, here's one bright spot of information to think about. Before AA can furlough any F/A's they have to furlough their brand new 30 Mandarin speakers FIRST. And obviously AA apparently needed them bad enough for our new service to Beijing to pound out a deal with the union circumventing the order of recall. I don't think AA wants them gone.

Walked the picket line with a Union rep who told me that we got about 250 to take the PLOA so they will fill the gap with Bid Leaves on a month to month basis. Attrition is picking up though so he was very optimistic that we could avoid a furlough and I agree with Mr. Junioirty.... AA wants/needs the Chinese speakers for Shanghai so I imagine they will just eat the overage until attrition takes care of it.

Walked the picket line with a Union rep who told me that we got about 250 to take the PLOA so they will fill the gap with Bid Leaves on a month to month basis. Attrition is picking up though so he was very optimistic that we could avoid a furlough and I agree with Mr. Junioirty.... AA wants/needs the Chinese speakers for Shanghai so I imagine they will just eat the overage until attrition takes care of it.
I hear AA wants to hire 1400 F/As next year....

"I'm hanging on to the bottom of the list by a hangnail myself, so I'm continuously worried about yet ANOTHER furlough. However, here's one bright spot of information to think about. Before AA can furlough any F/A's they have to furlough their brand new 30 Mandarin speakers FIRST. And obviously AA apparently needed them bad enough for our new service to Beijing to pound out a deal with the union circumventing the order of recall. I don't think AA wants them gone."

The speakers are actually for PVG-Shanghai. LAX-PVG to be specific. They are supposed to be on the line 15MAY. AVBL for the rest of the month. Has anyone seen them doing their operating flights yet? I suppose it is still a DFW-??? turn and a transcon with an overnight. LAX FS is looking for people to "volunteer" to be a mentor to them. Why doesn't management "volunteer" to be their mentors? Oh, that's right. Peggy is too busy counting her new stock pay out.

The speakers are actually for PVG-Shanghai. LAX-PVG to be specific. They are supposed to be on the line 15MAY. AVBL for the rest of the month. Has anyone seen them doing their operating flights yet? I suppose it is still a DFW-??? turn and a transcon with an overnight. LAX FS is looking for people to "volunteer" to be a mentor to them.

Yes, the speakers are for Shanghai. My mistake. I stand corrected. Some of them were doing a DFW-ORD-DFW work trip just a few days ago.

How many were they planning to park anyway?
How many orders for new planes were cancelled?

They plan on retiring all of them so 10% in any given year is not much, at this rate it would take them over 10 years to retire them all.

This is a non-story, trying to make it seem like they are doing this in response to the fuel spike. This is a PR release meant to shake up workers and please Wall Street, it will fail on both counts.

Latest posts