Stored 767s And Md-80s Might Return Early

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
If true, this is good news. Of course, there will be those who see nothing but bad news when good news like this is announced.

New American CEO Gerard Arpey says the world's largest airline is "through running from competition with low-cost carriers."

Its capacity will grow at least 7% in 2004. To do that, it is re-installing two rows of seats in its Boeing (BA) 757s and Airbus A300s that were removed in 2001 to give passengers more legroom. It also will fly its planes more hours each day.

But American also is quietly making preparations to bring 28 McDonnell Douglas MD-80s and 14 Boeing 767s back into service earlier than the 2005 and 2006 time frame envisioned when they were parked in the desert. A decision has not been made, but American officials indicate that they are leaning toward an early return of the MD-80s, the first of which could be flying by summer.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003-1...10-desert_x.htm

Let's hope it happens. And bring back the 762s so that AFS service can be reinstated on routes where it was dropped.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
FWAAA,
That WOULD be good news.

My only concern is,
WHAT WILL IT COST US EMPLOYEES to "stop running from low cost carriers" ?????????????
I don't think it's gonna cost you any more. I sincerely hope it costs the employees no more than the $1.8 billion plus they already gave. You already gave at that office, and gave plenty. With those savings, and slowly recovering cash flow, AA can now compete head-on with the LCCs.

Arpey is merely saying that the shrinking is over, and the new frequencies and new routes announced lately (like ORD-HNL, JFK-BRU, etc) are proof of that. I'd much rather be associated with an airline that is willing to stand up to the darlings of the industry and compete rather than keep shrinking. Nobody ever shrank an airline to profitability, did they?

Imagine what this airline can do once the big mean JFK machine (new Terminal 8) is operational.

:up: :up:That would be nice!
But only if AA builds up STL to what it once was, and bring back the BEST Airline
Workers in the Industry.
THE TWA LLCers