American Won't Make Peanut Allergy Announcement And Won't Let Family Board

I see by the stupid comments none of you understand a peanut allergy. It is not a sneeze or itchy eyes. It is a life threating, within minutes allergy. The person goes into anaphylaxis reaction, their airway closes within minutes and the use a an epi-pen only delays the reaction long enough to get to an emergency department. This is why many schools ban peanuts because children have the least ability to compensate and can die very easily. So while you are doing without your peanut butter sandwich for a few hours, my daughter stays alive. Would you prefer to have your flight disrupted for hours with an emergency landing? Being at the altitude in a semi closed circulation system is a little different and the extended time to land on the ground. Some peanut allergies can be triggered by the smell. My wife is a neonatal intensive care RN and I am twenty six year airline pilot and EMT, currently ten years in the field, our 2 y/o daughter has been to the emergency room twice from cross contamination incidents. We know what to look for, how to handle it and had we not had the ability to get emergency care after the epi pen she would not have survived. I wouldn't wish this allergy on anyone.

So have a little more compassion when you see a parent worried about their child with a life threating peanut allergy. It's on their mind everyday, every hour where food is served. It's that serious.

If you prefer spend your energy on banning us from flying and see how far that gets you. I just think one day you'll find yourself landing at emergency airport USA for hours, I pray the child survived it. 

Back