American's Route Network (post TWA days)

AstroLounge

Veteran
Oct 10, 2005
Back when AA absorbed TWA, did AA also acquire ALL the former's route authorities to places like JFK-Lisbon, Barcelona,Athens,Cairo,Riyadh,Moscow etc? And "IF" they did, can anyone surmise why AA never 'restarted' these routes to strenghten their presence in the NYC market? (Recently someone told me that the routes were given to the former TWA and they were not transferable.........is that really the case?) If anyone has the answer to this question, please SHARE. I would think American would jump at serving these routes with all the emphasis on INTERNATIONAL Flying and I for one would think AA would be successful in doing so out of JFK.

Yes, AA acquired those dormant routes with the other TWA assets. I don't expect AA to ever fly to Cairo or Riyadh or anywhere else in the muslim zone. TLV? Doubtful. The former Israeli TWA employees have a judgment that they would probably try to satisfy if AA flew there. The other destinations are now open skies (anyone can fly them) and thus not as valuable as they were 20+ years ago.

They never restarted a lot of those because most of them were prestige routes vs. profitable ones. Plus, the threat potential of the AA name is a bit too much for some to overcome.... Attacking "Continental", "Delta" or "Trans World" doesn't convey an attack on the US quite as much as "American" or "United" does......

They never restarted a lot of those because most of them were prestige routes vs. profitable ones. Plus, the threat potential of the AA name is a bit too much for some to overcome.... Attacking "Continental", "Delta" or "Trans World" doesn't convey an attack on the US quite as much as "American" or "United" does......
I may 'buy' the argument that an attack on AMERICAN (being a well known US corporate entity) IS a possibility but United? ROTFLMAO...........they haven't been considered even a decent airline in the last 15years. Regardless, thanks for the answer........just thought IF any carrier could extend their reach to the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Africa- I would think AA way ahead of Delta, CO and UAL.

just thought IF any carrier could extend their reach to the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Africa- I would think AA way ahead of Delta, CO and UAL.
They could, of course, but they don't need our old route authorities to do so. They've taken the cautious approach, which some day may prove to have been the smart thing to do.

MK