P
A December 14,1992

Mr. O. V. Delle-Femine
National Director
Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Assoc.
P. O. Box 39
Fayetteville, GA 30214

Mr. Delle-Femine:

As the senior member of the Allied Pilots Association (APA) Board of Directors, I consider your November 17, 1992 letter to APA President LaVoy nothing more than a personal, political attack on behalf of Messrs. Martin Seham and David W. Gould, APA’S VicePresident.

It is unthinkable that you have the audacity to question the prerogative and right of the President of APA to change General Counsel. Your intrusive meddling into APA's affairs, business, and policy is a most appallingly deceitful and cowardly act. When did our President or Association ever question or meddle in your association's affairs?

Since you have decided to interfere by making erroneous and disparaging political statements against our President and Association, allow me to respond. Mr. Delle-Femine, there are six billion people in this world. It is an amazing coincidence to me that you courtesy-copied your letter only to David W. Gould, the only person who has stated his intentions to lead the recall of President LaVoy. The Vice President has neither a legal say in, nor a vote in the selection of APA's General Counsel. This being the case, the sole purpose for copying Mr. Gould is obvious to even the most naive political observer: to help him undermine President LaVoy.

This is not the first time Mr. Gould has been the ringleader of a political circus. During a Department of Labor-supervised election, Mr. Gould tried to seat himself prior to the election certification, even though the premature-seating was ruled out of order by the parliamentarian and the chair. That fiasco cost the membership approximately $50,000 for the special Board Meeting Mr. Gould's adherents called.

Currently, the smoke screen for Mr. Gould's divisive political agenda is the General Counsel issue. Once again, the membership will foot the bill for Vice President Gould's politicaL activities. Confrontational behavior and zealous, self-righteous ranting seems to have become Mr. Gould's trademark.

Let's examine Mr. Seham's record a little more closely; unlike you, I was there.

1983 CONTRACT

After deregulation, the APA leadership had it's first chance to show their negotiating skills and determination. With Mr. Seham's counsel and help, they created the most anti-union “B Scale” ever devised. The A-Scale pilots' pay would be subsidized by the B-Scale pilots, or, as Mr. Seham said, the A-Scale pilots kept their present level of-pay and benefits" all at the cost of reduced salaries for newly-hired pilots." Essentially, the negotiators and Mr. Seham agreed that professional pilots at American Airlines were worth less than half of their current wages. Next came the classic management tactic of "divide and conquer” in the form of Supplement B, written by Mr. Seham. Basically, Supplement B stipulates that A-Scale and B-Scale pilots shall never be equal. Mr. Seham drafted management’s dream come true - a permanently divided union at a time the Company was under no financial difficulty.

1987 CONTRACT

Having set the stage in 1983, the big payoff for management was the 1987 contract. With the union now divided, APA negotiators agree to gut our work rules, granted a less than one and one-half percent pay raise per year for the A-Scale pilots, and compensation for the B-Scale pilots far below the market level. As the icing on the cake, they gave away our scope clause, to allow management to buy and operate commuter airlines flying up to seventy-seat aircraft. The Company was in an excellent financial position afterAPA negotiated a contract that put our pilots behind in pay and benefits to everyone except Continental Airlines, so senior AMR management rewarded itself with a lucrative stock bonus plan. Mr. Seham called it a victory; for whom was it a victory?

1990 CONTRACT

By this time, senior A-Scale pilots at AAL were flying "wide-body" aircraft for narrow-body pay rates, B-Scale was on the verge of being institutionalized, and management intended to "re- vamp" our medical benefits, once again at the expense of the new-hire pilot. Through a grassroots campaign, which climaxed in the firing of our negotiating committee, we turned things around. In the middle of a recession and war, we negotiated the best contract in seven years, while Mr. Seham had to be dragged along throughout the entire process.

LUMP SUM ARBITRATION: Mr. Seham lost the Lump Sum Benefit arbitration award on the merits of the ease. The arbitrator awarded the benefit “only" to pilots hired prior to 1983 due to Supplement B, which was drafted by Mr. Seham. Four years after creating the B-Scale, one more wedge was driven into the membership by Mr. Seham's hand. It was President LaVoy, while a member of the new negotiating committee, who was able to secure the Lump Sum Benefit for all pilots and bring the members together, not Mr. Seham.

MIA TDY: Mr. Seham lost the MIA TDY arbitration case that was initiated by the former president.

APA EAGLE STRUCTURE: Under Mr. Seham's counsel in 1986, the former negotiating committee gutted our scope clause to allow the Company to buy Eagle commuter airlines. Later in 1987, the former APA president appointed an Ad Hoc committee (two of the members were also negotiators), to determine if Eagle pilots should be APA members and sit on the APA Board of Directors. With the advice and counsel of Mr. Seham, they took in the Eagle pilots and created the structure currently in place.

APA DRUG TESTING AGREEMENT: With Mr. Seham's counsel, his son helped negotiate our drug testing agreement. Mr. Seham boasted how his son did a “bang up job". The Sehams did a bang up job all right, but for managemcnt, not the pilots. The agreement must be an historic first. The union actually negotiated to fire it's own pilots. The agreement includes no rehabilitation for it’s pilots as does other airlines, and is far more restrictive than the government regulation itself. Management loved it so much, they gave this agreement, paid for by our members, to all other employee groups.

Do you think Mr. Crandall is relieved because he does not have to face "the man who beat him at every turn"? Sir, all I can say is, you don't know Mr. Crandall. It is my opinion that he would love to keep Mr. Seham for the next round of negotiations.

After twenty-five years of Mr. Seham's counsel, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association actively represents no one. Essentially, your union is "on paper" only. Such a record speaks volumes about your choice of counsel.

Sincerely,

Captain Dennis Petretti
Chairman, LGA

Wow, you would rather attack Lee Seham than congratulate 2 Union Brothers that just got their jobs back with full back pack and no disciplinary action. How sad and pathetic.It should not matter that Lee is an AMFA attorney. What matters are these 2 individuals are back. What is also sad is that these 2 felt it necessary to hire Lee Seham because they had no faith as dues paying members that their own local was not capable to get their jobs back.

Reactions: 1 person
And who voted on all the contracts since 1983? That would be the majority of the pilots. The pilots had a choice rather to have a B scale or not. They (the pilots) chose themselves to have a B scale. And all this crap happened almost 30 years ago and 99% of it was done by Seham senior not Lee Seham. Nice to see you guys have to go so far back, almost 30 years, to dig something negative up that was all done by Seham senior. I would still keep Seham over the IBT attorneys, seen them both In action as well as head to head, and Seham completely embarrassed Josh M..
Is this all you guys got? Pretty sad when both the TWU and the teamsters has all their negativities currently happening as well as into the future...

Who is winning the presidential debates right now? It all depends on which side you support.

Your argument of Seham "embarrassing" Josh McInerney is polarized. From IBT witnesses who were there they say the exact opposite is true and Josh humiliated Lee. I find that a more plausible explanation.

If you disagree, find me some dirt on Josh? I'll give you a start.

http://www.barkanmeizlish.com/josh-mcinerney

Who is winning the presidential debates right now? It all depends on which side you support.

Your argument of Seham "embarrassing" Josh McInerney is polarized. From IBT witnesses who were there they say the exact opposite is true and Josh humiliated Lee. I find that a more plausible explanation.

http://www.barkanmei.../josh-mcinerney

Explain why personal attacks, demeaning non-mechanics and mechanics alike is your only answer to the fact that while we are divided into four unions, and three of them being industrial unions, this entire profession is getting decimated because of that division?

I think it is high time we unite into one union and stop bickering to protect one institution against the other institution.

You don't give a damn about me, or any other AMT at AA, or any AMT in the industry for that matter. You are simply being paid to defend and promote the ibt and you are more interested in saving your appointed job than protecting or advancing the profession.

You care more about politics and funding camapaigns than you do any single person here beside yourself.

You have been proven a liar, ignorant, and out of touch, yet you keep babbling like a f'ing trained parrot.

When you frist appeared here you were the big defender of campaign finance but could not provide any specific gain made by doing so. I now know the big gain made by the ibt, that was Obama released the Government Oversight of the teamsters and now organized crime is coming out of the closets like cock roaches in the dark.

Reactions: 2 people

http://www.barkanmei.../josh-mcinerney

Explain why personal attacks, demeaning non-mechanics and mechanics alike is your only answer to the fact that while we are divided into four unions, and three of them being industrial unions, this entire profession is getting decimated because of that division?

I think it is high time we unite into one union and stop bickering to protect one institution against the other institution.

You don't give a damn about me, or any other AMT at AA, or any AMT in the industry for that matter. You are simply being paid to defend and promote the ibt and you are more interested in saving your appointed job than protecting or advancing the profession.

You care more about politics and funding camapaigns than you do any single person here beside yourself.

You have been proven a liar, ignorant, and out of touch, yet you keep babbling like a f'ing trained parrot.

When you frist appeared here you were the big defender of campaign finance but could not provide any specific gain made by doing so. I now know the big gain made by the ibt, that was Obama released the Government Oversight of the teamsters and now organized crime is coming out of the closets like cock roaches in the dark.

Do you read your own writings? You accuse me of personal attacks (which I did not) and then go on to personally attack

Too funny :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No digging required. I witnessed it in person, over and over again. Chief, I even witnessed that looser in action when we were represented by the teamsters. Sorry I didn't take video, wish I did though. You are wrong about the IBT witnesses. I was there and we talked to the AT nego team, before, during and afterwards. They too were impressed at how Seham walked all over Josh. There are numerous upon numerous postings from the AT guys about how they will be thankfull of the future representation they saw by Seham against Josh in the Integration Nego's.

So why does more than one union man hire Seham to fight for their jobs that they lost from other airlines? All the while that they could have been represented by their own unions legal team, but they were fighting them as well since they were snitched out in both cases by union officers. Pretty pathetic to not only fight your co to get your job back, but to fight your own damn union who allowed this to happen to AMFA supporters in the first place. Very pathetic indeed. However, it turned out to be another huge feather in AMFA's cap. You just gotta love how AMFA got 2 AA/TWU members their jobs back after they were trying to get rid of these guys for being AMFA supporters. What does that say about the TWU? Nuff Said, carry on gentlemen...

Oh thats the guy that lied in his video to American mechanics when he claims the teamsters forced the contract open early at UAL. :lol:

Reactions: 3 people
HERE IS SOME GOOD READING FOR THE AMT'S IN TULSA AS WELL:

A ALLIED PILOTS ASSOCIATION
P
A December 14,1992

Mr. O. V. Delle-Femine
National Director
Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Assoc.
P. O. Box 39
Fayetteville, GA 30214

Mr. Delle-Femine:

As the senior member of the Allied Pilots Association (APA) Board of Directors, I consider your November 17, 1992 letter to APA President LaVoy nothing more than a personal, political attack on behalf of Messrs. Martin Seham and David W. Gould, APA’S VicePresident.

It is unthinkable that you have the audacity to question the prerogative and right of the President of APA to change General Counsel. Your intrusive meddling into APA's affairs, business, and policy is a most appallingly deceitful and cowardly act. When did our President or Association ever question or meddle in your association's affairs?

Since you have decided to interfere by making erroneous and disparaging political statements against our President and Association, allow me to respond. Mr. Delle-Femine, there are six billion people in this world. It is an amazing coincidence to me that you courtesy-copied your letter only to David W. Gould, the only person who has stated his intentions to lead the recall of President LaVoy. The Vice President has neither a legal say in, nor a vote in the selection of APA's General Counsel. This being the case, the sole purpose for copying Mr. Gould is obvious to even the most naive political observer: to help him undermine President LaVoy.

This is not the first time Mr. Gould has been the ringleader of a political circus. During a Department of Labor-supervised election, Mr. Gould tried to seat himself prior to the election certification, even though the premature-seating was ruled out of order by the parliamentarian and the chair. That fiasco cost the membership approximately $50,000 for the special Board Meeting Mr. Gould's adherents called.

Currently, the smoke screen for Mr. Gould's divisive political agenda is the General Counsel issue. Once again, the membership will foot the bill for Vice President Gould's politicaL activities. Confrontational behavior and zealous, self-righteous ranting seems to have become Mr. Gould's trademark.

Let's examine Mr. Seham's record a little more closely; unlike you, I was there.

1983 CONTRACT

After deregulation, the APA leadership had it's first chance to show their negotiating skills and determination. With Mr. Seham's counsel and help, they created the most anti-union “B Scale” ever devised. The A-Scale pilots' pay would be subsidized by the B-Scale pilots, or, as Mr. Seham said, the A-Scale pilots kept their present level of-pay and benefits" all at the cost of reduced salaries for newly-hired pilots." Essentially, the negotiators and Mr. Seham agreed that professional pilots at American Airlines were worth less than half of their current wages. Next came the classic management tactic of "divide and conquer” in the form of Supplement B, written by Mr. Seham. Basically, Supplement B stipulates that A-Scale and B-Scale pilots shall never be equal. Mr. Seham drafted management’s dream come true - a permanently divided union at a time the Company was under no financial difficulty.

1987 CONTRACT

Having set the stage in 1983, the big payoff for management was the 1987 contract. With the union now divided, APA negotiators agree to gut our work rules, granted a less than one and one-half percent pay raise per year for the A-Scale pilots, and compensation for the B-Scale pilots far below the market level. As the icing on the cake, they gave away our scope clause, to allow management to buy and operate commuter airlines flying up to seventy-seat aircraft. The Company was in an excellent financial position afterAPA negotiated a contract that put our pilots behind in pay and benefits to everyone except Continental Airlines, so senior AMR management rewarded itself with a lucrative stock bonus plan. Mr. Seham called it a victory; for whom was it a victory?

1990 CONTRACT

By this time, senior A-Scale pilots at AAL were flying "wide-body" aircraft for narrow-body pay rates, B-Scale was on the verge of being institutionalized, and management intended to "re- vamp" our medical benefits, once again at the expense of the new-hire pilot. Through a grassroots campaign, which climaxed in the firing of our negotiating committee, we turned things around. In the middle of a recession and war, we negotiated the best contract in seven years, while Mr. Seham had to be dragged along throughout the entire process.

LUMP SUM ARBITRATION: Mr. Seham lost the Lump Sum Benefit arbitration award on the merits of the ease. The arbitrator awarded the benefit “only" to pilots hired prior to 1983 due to Supplement B, which was drafted by Mr. Seham. Four years after creating the B-Scale, one more wedge was driven into the membership by Mr. Seham's hand. It was President LaVoy, while a member of the new negotiating committee, who was able to secure the Lump Sum Benefit for all pilots and bring the members together, not Mr. Seham.

MIA TDY: Mr. Seham lost the MIA TDY arbitration case that was initiated by the former president.

APA EAGLE STRUCTURE: Under Mr. Seham's counsel in 1986, the former negotiating committee gutted our scope clause to allow the Company to buy Eagle commuter airlines. Later in 1987, the former APA president appointed an Ad Hoc committee (two of the members were also negotiators), to determine if Eagle pilots should be APA members and sit on the APA Board of Directors. With the advice and counsel of Mr. Seham, they took in the Eagle pilots and created the structure currently in place.

APA DRUG TESTING AGREEMENT: With Mr. Seham's counsel, his son helped negotiate our drug testing agreement. Mr. Seham boasted how his son did a “bang up job". The Sehams did a bang up job all right, but for managemcnt, not the pilots. The agreement must be an historic first. The union actually negotiated to fire it's own pilots. The agreement includes no rehabilitation for it’s pilots as does other airlines, and is far more restrictive than the government regulation itself. Management loved it so much, they gave this agreement, paid for by our members, to all other employee groups.

Do you think Mr. Crandall is relieved because he does not have to face "the man who beat him at every turn"? Sir, all I can say is, you don't know Mr. Crandall. It is my opinion that he would love to keep Mr. Seham for the next round of negotiations.

After twenty-five years of Mr. Seham's counsel, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association actively represents no one. Essentially, your union is "on paper" only. Such a record speaks volumes about your choice of counsel.

Sincerely,

Captain Dennis Petretti
Chairman, LGA

Well I could go back and pick many cases that the Sehams won for the APA and I could also remind you that in 1963 He was one of the few labor attorneys willing to help the APA break away from ALPA a very powerful union at the time. Better than all of that is after the APA let Seham go they turned around and hired a AFL-CIO Attorney by the name of Sanford Denision who gave them the great legal advice that cost the 42 million dollars in fines for a illegal sickout and they have lost far more since the Sehams left than at anytime while they where their Attorneys!

Well I could go back and pick many cases that the Sehams won for the APA and I could also remind you that in 1963 He was one of the few labor attorneys willing to help the APA break away from ALPA a very powerful union at the time. Better than all of that is after the APA let Seham go they turned around and hired a AFL-CIO Attorney by the name of Sanford Denision who gave them the great legal advice that cost the 42 million dollars in fines for a illegal sickout and they have lost far more since the Sehams left than at anytime while they where their Attorneys!

Brother, they are refering to a letter dated 1992, about another work group other than mechanics, as well as not even the same attorneys working for them. They also print info from way back in 1983. That's almost 30 years ago folks. C'mon man, they are getting very desperate and it is really starting to show big time. When they have to dig 30 years back for info on attorneys that no longer represent the firm, and we can dig as far back as, lets see, this year---C'mon man...

The Seham that is being referred to in the letter is Lees father. Martin Seham. he has since retired from the firm if memory serves me right.

Yes you are correct. That's what I meant when I stated this, " When they have to dig 30 years back for info on attorneys that no longer represent the firm, and we can dig as far back as, lets see, this year---C'mon man..." I just assumed everybody already knew, my bad.

As you are well aware, there are letters terminating Seham which are of very recent vintage. Just last year he was fired by USAPA in a letter which criticized him in very harsh terms. I can post it if you like, but I don’t think it’s necessary. You can argue that his track record with pilots and flight attendants is irrelevant, but they are part of the same industry and negotiate under the same law.

I’m glad when any member is reinstated. However, there are dozens of cases over the last two years in which TWU officers have secured reinstatement of terminated members in arbitration, often with full back pay. They didn’t brag about the win because the employee prefers some level of privacy, and because they understand that in such cases the Company bears the burden of proof and, therefore, in the absence of credible evidence, they should win.

AMFA can choose whatever attorney it likes, but the idea that its law firm is some sort of unique resource commanding respect in the industry is ridiculous. AMFA and its counsel managed to lose two major RLA cases in the 1990s, leaving a precedent which hurt every other RLA union. And you may recall that in Tulsa in 2003 you promised that AMFA would win its two force majeure cases against NWA and said that after those victories were secured you expected everyone in the plant to sign cards. Both of those cases were lost by Seham, although in those disputes he was going up against a high dollar corporate lawyer rather than a local company labor relations representative.

As you are well aware, there are letters terminating Seham which are of very recent vintage. Just last year he was fired by USAPA in a letter which criticized him in very harsh terms. I can post it if you like, but I don’t think it’s necessary. You can argue that his track record with pilots and flight attendants is irrelevant, but they are part of the same industry and negotiate under the same law.

I’m glad when any member is reinstated. However, there are dozens of cases over the last two years in which TWU officers have secured reinstatement of terminated members in arbitration, often with full back pay. They didn’t brag about the win because the employee prefers some level of privacy, and because they understand that in such cases the Company bears the burden of proof and, therefore, in the absence of credible evidence, they should win.

AMFA can choose whatever attorney it likes, but the idea that its law firm is some sort of unique resource commanding respect in the industry is ridiculous. AMFA and its counsel managed to lose two major RLA cases in the 1990s, leaving a precedent which hurt every other RLA union. And you may recall that in Tulsa in 2003 you promised that AMFA would win its two force majeure cases against NWA and said that after those victories were secured you expected everyone in the plant to sign cards. Both of those cases were lost by Seham, although in those disputes he was going up against a high dollar corporate lawyer rather than a local company labor relations representative.

Can you show me a case where the TWU went out a represented a person who is not a dues paying member and got their job back when their own union has abandon them, that is what AMFA and Lee did in the last case at AFW and have done on many occasions in the past that is the difference. and in the end the Twu with all their money and political influence where on the property at Pan AM Eastern and countless other airlines that failed and they did nothing to stop it you always talk about the loss at NWA but you never talk about the $7.00 dollars an hour raises in 2000 just the loss.

[font="Arial Black""]Don't Miss Our Live AMFA Webinar [/font]
[font="Arial Black""]TONIGHT!!![/font]
[font="Arial""] [/font]
[font="Georgia""]Why AMFA? [/font][font="Georgia""][/font]
[font="Georgia""]Why Now? [/font][font="Georgia""][/font]
[font="Arial""]---[/font][font="Arial""] [/font]
[font="Arial Black""]at [/font][font="Arial Black""]7:00pm[/font][font="Arial Black""] CDT[/font][font="Arial Black""][/font]
[font="Arial Black""]----[/font][font="Arial Black""][/font]
[font="Arial Black""]Join Us Live & Watch at[/font]
[font="Arial Black""]AMFA National [/font]
[font="Arial Black""]&[/font]
[font="Arial Black""]AMFA-AA [/font]
[font="Arial Black""] [/font]
[font="Arial Black""]----[/font][font="Arial Black""] [/font]
[font="Arial Black""]To ask questions [/font]
[font="Arial Black""]call or email:[/font]
[font="Arial Black""]----[/font][font="Arial Black""][/font]
[font="Arial Black""]1-855-GOAMFA-NOW[/font]
[font="Arial Black""]([/font][font="Arial Black""]1-855-462-6326[/font][font="Arial Black""]) [/font]
[font="Arial Black""]or [/font]
[font="Arial Black""][font="Arial""][email protected][/font][/font]

Reactions: 2 people