Amr A Top Airline Pick

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
cost-cutting initiatives at AMR (nyse: AMR - news - people ), the holding company for American Airlines, appear to be "a real improvement" and reiterated an "outperform" rating for the major airline. "In a rating system that arrays stocks relative to their peers, an ongoing outperform rating for AMR is for us a no-brainer," the research firm said. CSFB added, "Of all the changes going on at AMR, the growing signs of interaction with labor that stands a chance of building a sustainable partnership to keep costs competitive while providing durable rewards for success is perhaps the most impressive. For a company whose labor relations have historically been, in our view, in the industry’s bottom tier, there truly appears to be real improvement in the works."

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2004/11/08/1...yahoo&referrer=

Hatu said:
cost-cutting initiatives at AMR (nyse: AMR - news - people ), the holding company for American Airlines, appear to be "a real improvement" and reiterated an "outperform" rating for the major airline. "In a rating system that arrays stocks relative to their peers, an ongoing outperform rating for AMR is for us a no-brainer," the research firm said. CSFB added, "Of all the changes going on at AMR, the growing signs of interaction with labor that stands a chance of building a sustainable partnership to keep costs competitive while providing durable rewards for success is perhaps the most impressive. For a company whose labor relations have historically been, in our view, in the industry’s bottom tier, there truly appears to be real improvement in the works."

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2004/11/08/1...yahoo&referrer=
[post="199152"][/post]​

Real improvement probably coming from more concessions behind the scenes.
Crude oil prices are still in the high $40's dollars / barrel so what has changed to make this rating improve and the stock price increase in recent trading?

goingboeing said:
Real improvement probably coming from more concessions behind the scenes.
Crude oil prices are still in the high $40's dollars / barrel so what has changed to make this rating improve and the stock price increase in recent trading?
[post="199204"][/post]​

Sure, the concessions given up last April are the driving force behind AMR's long-term improvement.

But the huge story this past week is that oil is down from $55 to the $40s. Add to that the real possibility that DL will "pull an AMR" and not file Ch 11. And that has moved AMR from about $6 to over $9 in less than 2 weeks. That's more than 50% gain in under two weeks. The Holidays are coming early again at my house. B)

Savings accounts earn about 2% in a whole year. AMR up over 50% in several days. Still wonder why the Street is talking about AMR? :D

the "street" is talking about AMR, because AMR wants the street to talk about them. They are getting ready to anounce something big... More concesions or maybe a Eagle sale. Eagle made CNN yesterday about the new pilot contract! they never make the news unless AMR wants them to. Something is up.

<_< Just a bet of fantasy here folks!!!! AMR anounces the rememergance of the "TWA" name as a new low cost carrier to headquarterd at MCI!!! :shock: Could happen!!!

amcnd said:
the "street" is talking about AMR, because AMR wants the street to talk about them. They are getting ready to anounce something big... More concesions or maybe a Eagle sale. Eagle made CNN yesterday about the new pilot contract! they never make the news unless AMR wants them to. Something is up.
[post="199248"][/post]​
[/quote

oops, quoted wrong post......sorry!

MCI transplant said:
<_< Just a bet of fantasy here folks!!!! AMR anounces the rememergance of the "TWA" name as a new low cost carrier to headquarterd at MCI!!! :shock: Could happen!!!
[post="199317"][/post]​

Love it! :)

FWAAA said:
Sure, the concessions given up last April are the driving force behind AMR's long-term improvement.

But the huge story this past week is that oil is down from $55 to the $40s. Add to that the real possibility that DL will "pull an AMR" and not file Ch 11. And that has moved AMR from about $6 to over $9 in less than 2 weeks. That's more than 50% gain in under two weeks. The Holidays are coming early again at my house. B)

Savings accounts earn about 2% in a whole year. AMR up over 50% in several days. Still wonder why the Street is talking about AMR? :D
[post="199221"][/post]​

===================================================

(This ain't easy) !!!!

FWAAA, your RIGHT !!

Sooner or later(sooner, I hope) this BS with high oil prices, and "every other thing under the sun" will start to turn around for a (VERY) few legacy's.

When that happens, ($$$$$$$$) we'll start to see some degree of normalcy, and AA will be in that pack. Unfortunately "it" will come at the expense of "too many" layoffs !!!!!

If AA has to "shrink"(in one way or another), it will happen "no matter what."

IMHO, I'll be SHOCKED, if AMR sells eagle.

Like EVERYTHING else at AA, "time will tell" !!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

I expect to see Eagle put on the block before the end of the month, certainly before the end of the year. The fat cats are hinging on bonus time and a nice big profitable sale will fatten the coffers for it. Eagle may be AMR's only profitable arm right now but that doesn't mean it isn't vulnerable in these lean, yet still greedy times. Before the end of Q1/05, I'll be watching for three, possibly four of AMR's top dogs to cash in all the incentives in their contracts in exchange for their resignations.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
===================================================

(This ain't easy) !!!!

FWAAA, your RIGHT !!

Sooner or later(sooner, I hope) this BS with high oil prices, and "every other thing under the sun" will start to turn around for a (VERY) few legacy's.

When that happens, ($$$$$$$$) we'll start to see some degree of normalcy, and AA will be in that pack. Unfortunately "it" will come at the expense of "too many" layoffs !!!!!

If AA has to "shrink"(in one way or another), it will happen "no matter what."

IMHO, I'll be SHOCKED, if AMR sells eagle.

[post="199463"][/post]​
STOP agreeing with me, NH/BBs! :D

People are gonna think we're the same person. :D

As I posted on Monday in the "Eagle IPO" thread, I can't see why so many are in such a rush to see AMR sell a substantial part of (and growing part) of the network.

And as oil keeps falling, I see AMR being a survivor. Although I don't wish failure on anyone, unfortunately, the legacy network industry could use some consolidation. There are still SOME full-fare and premium fare passengers out there, but just not enough to go around. If a couple of legacy airlines were to close, there might just be enough of those profitable pax for the survivors to eat a few more years. It's long past time for some to be tossed out of the lifeboat, but nobody seems to have the stomach to do it.

Any news on the JFK terminal progress? That's gonna help propel AA to new heights in NYC (if it ever opens).

FWAAA said:
STOP agreeing with me, NH/BBs! :D

People are gonna think we're the same person. :D

As I posted on Monday in the "Eagle IPO" thread, I can't see why so many are in such a rush to see AMR sell a substantial part of (and growing part) of the network.

And as oil keeps falling, I see AMR being a survivor. Although I don't wish failure on anyone, unfortunately, the legacy network industry could use some consolidation. There are still SOME full-fare and premium fare passengers out there, but just not enough to go around. If a couple of legacy airlines were to close, there might just be enough of those profitable pax for the survivors to eat a few more years. It's long past time for some to be tossed out of the lifeboat, but nobody seems to have the stomach to do it.

Any news on the JFK terminal progress? That's gonna help propel AA to new heights in NYC (if it ever opens).
[post="199541"][/post]​
I have really enjoyed reading your posts and NHBB posts on this topic. I can not agree any more with you. I do not wish furlough or a job loss to anyone. But we could stand to let a few Legacy carriers go by the way side. In your opinion besides US Air who would the best one to go.

I hate to say it but NW and UA are the top of my list. I wish no ill will on any employee of those two carriers but as far as making the rest of the airlines profitable those would be my choices.

As ar as Eagle goes. I do not see AMR selling AE right now. Maybe when the industry is stable again but when and if that happens there would be no need to.

Oneflyer said:
You might be the stupidest, most uninformed person in the history of the world.
[post="199561"][/post]​

Oneflyer, I have learned a long time ago that Wing has very few brain cells left, and has a major axe to grind against AA

Latest posts