American Posts 111 Million 4th Qtr Loss

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
AMR Corporation, the parent company of American Airlines, Inc., today reported a net loss of $111 million for the fourth quarter, or $.70 per share. This compares with last year's fourth quarter net loss of $529 million, or $3.39 per share.

Building on the added momentum of this financial improvement, American announced today a major restructuring of its hub operations at Miami that will make the hub -- American's principal gateway to Latin America -- more efficient, increase its on-time dependability, and give customers added convenience and a wider choice of flights.

The airline also announced that it will enter into a robust new codesharing partnership with Mexicana, the premier airline of Mexico.

AMR's fourth quarter results include a handful of special items -- both gains and losses -- resulting from the company's continuing restructuring efforts, a federal income tax settlement during the quarter, and gains on the sale of investments.

In addition, in keeping with the provisions of SFAS 109, AMR's fourth quarter 2003 results do not reflect a provision for federal and state income taxes. Conversely, AMR's fourth quarter 2002 results reflected a tax benefit.

To provide a better comparison between the two periods, after adjusting for these special items and taxes, the company recorded a loss (pre-tax and excluding special items) of $95 million this quarter, or $.59 per share, versus a loss (pre-tax) of $828 million, or $5.31 per share, in the fourth quarter of last year.

For the fourth quarter of 2003, AMR had operating income of $103 million, excluding special items. In the fourth quarter of 2002, AMR posted a net operating loss of $679 million.

For the full year 2003, AMR reported a net loss of $1.2 billion, or $7.76 per share, compared to a full year net loss of $3.5 billion, or $22.57 per share, in 2002. When adjusted for special items and the year-over-year tax differences mentioned above, AMR posted a 53 percent improvement in financial results, registering a full year loss of $1.5 billion in 2003 compared to a full year loss of $3.2 billion in 2002.

"The improvement in our year-over-year results is a direct result of our ongoing efforts to restructure our business and the willingness of every one of us to sacrifice and accept change as an inevitable fact of life in the airline industry," said Gerard Arpey, AMR's president and CEO.

"While the work required to make our company consistently profitable has just begun, the momentum we have created together is powerful. Perhaps the best illustration of this is the fact that we have now achieved an operating profit, excluding special items, two quarters in a row. And unlike a year ago, when we were burning through millions of dollars of cash every day, our operation is now generating positive cash flow," said Arpey.

The Miami hub restructuring and the new relationship with Mexicana will strengthen American's network and add to the company's financial progress, Arpey said.

With a combined total of more than 130 years of service between the United States and Mexico, American and Mexicana will forge a relationship that will give customers enhanced service to the most important markets in the United States and Mexico, as well as connections across their global networks. For American, it will mean new flight availability to 21 additional cities in Mexico and the ability to offer service in 27 new, nonstop transborder markets.

The relationship also includes a reciprocal frequent-flyer agreement that will allow passengers to accrue and redeem miles in Americans AAdvantage program or Mexicana's Frecuenta program on more than 500 U.S.-Mexico flights per week.

American and Mexicana will launch the partnership in April, pending governmental approval.

In Miami, the airline's principal gateway to Latin America, American will spread its operations more evenly by increasing the number of daily flight banks to 13 from seven, effective May 1. In doing so, the airline will be able to operate more flights in and out of Miami using fewer aircraft, thereby greatly increasing the hub's efficiency and assisting in the company's overall objective to lower costs.

At the same time, the restructured Miami hub will significantly enhance customer service, allowing American to offer passengers more flight choices, giving customers more time to make their flight connections, and spreading out the flow of international passengers in ways that will make it easier to clear customs and immigration processing.

Longer term, the new hub design will give American and American Eagle room to grow at Miami within the framework of the new terminal facility that is now under construction. "Miami is one of the linchpins of our global network," Arpey said. "And this initiative will enable us to operate more flights in and out of that hub -- using fewer aircraft -- reduce costs, and relieve some of the pressure that hub has been under from the ongoing terminal construction project."

At the heart of AMR's financial progress in 2003, Arpey said, were the strides it made toward achieving the company's critical goal of $4 billion in annual capacity-independent cost savings.

These efforts were given a huge boost when employees agreed to a restructuring that added $1.8 billion a year in labor-cost savings to savings of $2 billion a year from strategic initiatives and another $200 million from vendors, suppliers and creditors.

"Lower costs go hand in hand with our ability to protect and build on our leading share in the marketplace," Arpey said. "Today, thanks to the sacrifices, hard work and ingenuity of American's people, our costs -- while still not as low as our low-cost competitors -- are continuing to improve to help us compete vigorously for every customer."

Although unquestionably pleased by its progress, Arpey said AMR is not yet satisfied with its financial results and recognizes that it still has lots of work in front of it.

"We've made great progress," Arpey said, "but we also realize the many challenges that lie ahead."

Arpey pointed to the following progress in each of the four tenets of the AMR Turnaround Plan:

Lower Costs To Compete: This is where AMR has made its most dramatic progress, underscored by an 11.9 percent decline in unit costs in the fourth quarter, excluding special items and regional affiliates. If not for rising fuel prices, AMR's progress would have been even more dramatic, with a year-over-year drop in unit costs of 12.8 percent. To further reduce costs, AMR has returned underused gate space, consolidated terminal space, depeaked its Chicago and Dallas/Fort Worth hub schedules (now adding Miami to that list), closed a reservations center, reduced the size of the St. Louis hub, accelerated the retirement of TWA aircraft, and improved aircraft utilization across the fleet.

Fly Smart, Give Customers What They Value: This tenet focuses on customer service and revenue production, with emphasis on improving AMR's relative revenue performance. Key moves in this area are adding seats to American's 757 and A300 fleets and restructuring the mid-continent hubs at Chicago, DFW and St. Louis (next up, Miami). Another step is expanding alliances. Progress here includes a domestic codeshare with Alaska Airlines, approval of codesharing with British Airways, the addition of SWISS International to the oneworld alliance, and (as announced today) the new codeshare linkage with Mexicana.

Pull Together, Win Together: Fostering greater cooperation than ever between the company and employees, AMR has adopted an unprecedented level of openness with employee groups and labor unions. Arpey holds regular Town Hall-style meetings with employees, AMR's chief financial officer meets monthly with union leaders to walk them through the company's financial results in the same way he briefs AMR's Board, and the Overland Group, a firm expert in bringing union groups and management together, has been engaged to help all parties within AMR move to a philosophy of active involvement. On Jan. 28 and 29, American will conduct its first Customer Strategy meeting with frontline employees to advance this process and improve the customer experience.

Build A Financial Foundation For The Future: AMR ended the fourth quarter with $3.1 billion in total cash and short-term investments (including $527 million in restricted cash and short-term investments), substantially greater than the $1.8 billion in cash and short-term investments at the close of the first quarter. From April 1 to Dec. 31, AMR's cash flow from operations totaled $1.1 billion, giving AMR greater access to the capital markets. AMR also has been able to sell some non-core assets, such as its stakes in Worldspan and Hotwire. These are the first of many steps AMR will be taking over time to repair the damage done to its balance sheet as it works to overcome its financial crisis.

etops1 said:
it sounds to me like mexicana is leaving star alliance to join one world.
Mexicana already left Star Alliance. I believe the official end thier membership on 31 March 2003.

AA's financial position is improving and Arpey seems to be serious about restructing AA's hub operations. I hope AAs CASM can get to 9 since that cost range would help AA return to a more consistant profitabilty. Arpey seems stick to his words since I remember reading a web page news letter saying that AA is through retreating against the low fare carriers and will be fighting back and that is what is happening today. I must say thankyou to the employees for this chance.

We will NEVER FORGIVE, or FORGET, what our so called union "leaders" did to their members, WITH HELP FROM AA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, with that said, I( seriously) HOPE that "the tide is starting to turn" !!!

(I just heard a "BIG THUD", perhaps someone "fell to the floor")

Must be because I made a positive statement.

(It was probably Garfield1966) :D :D :D

NH/BB's

I see a glimmer of hope here. AA made a significant operating profit! Much better than I was anticipating and that was with the outragously high fuel prices! Lets hope by this time next year we've completed all of the restructing and realignments and turned that operating profit into a high NET profit! :up:

Investors sure liked the news of the last couple days - AMR closed today at $16.85, up almost 16% today. It was a very good day for AMR believers.

It's been a very good 10 months now for believers. B)

Before you all AA believers hurt your arms patting yourselves on your backs, when do you think the employees will be sharing in the rewards?

I hope you are not counting on profit sharing this year or the next because in order to get profit sharing, the company has to net at least $500 million dollars.
The profit sharing is to be 15% on the amount OVER the $500 million dollars.

And with AA having to pay about $550 million dollars to cover its pension obligations THIS year alone, that leaves all the AA believers another 4 years (for TWU members)to even dream about getting anything in return. So at the end of this 5 1/2 year debacle of a contract, we can begin negotiating all over again for the things that took over 40 years to earn.

Oh I forgot! SHARED SACRIFICES by all!

Hopeful said:
Before you all AA believers hurt your arms patting yourselves on your backs, when do you think the employees will be sharing in the rewards?

I hope you are not counting on profit sharing this year or the next because in order to get profit sharing, the company has to net at least $500 million dollars.
The profit sharing is to be 15% on the amount OVER the $500 million dollars.

And with AA having to pay about $550 million dollars to cover its pension obligations THIS year alone, that leaves all the AA believers another 4 years (for TWU members)to even dream about getting anything in return. So at the end of this 5 1/2 year debacle of a contract, we can begin negotiating all over again for the things that took over 40 years to earn.

Oh I forgot! SHARED SACRIFICES by all!
You'd be sharing in the rewards right now if you had bought AMR stock last February and March when I did. It's now worth 13.5 times its 52 week low of $1.25. :eek:

Had you been a believer, you'd easily have enough money right now for a new house instead of publicly asking "where's mine?" B)

I know, I know - scraping together $13,000 last year would have been very difficult.

As a mechanic, when you factor in the 17.5% paycut, loss of one week's vacation, loss of doubletime and a half for holidays coupled with loss of 5 holidays, we lost about $120,000 over five years.

FWAAA, what will you say when the price of AMR stick drops back down to single digits as the time nears for employees to start excercising their stock options.

Mechanics have 442 shares each of AMR stock, $5.00 of which is paid back to AA as that was the strike price. For a mechanic to make back the $120,000.00 he/she will have lost after the five years, AMR stock will have to hit $271.00 per share.

So tell me FWAAA, do you think AMR will hit $271.00?

By the way, I don't need a new house. I also don't know how much stock you bought to buy a new house, and even if you have alot of shares, you are probably referring to purchasing a house NOT in LA, San Francisco, New York or Chicago, are you?

you should be working for Warren Buffet if you are that good with the market!

Had AA gone bankrupt the total amount you could have lost could have been much much more. Whats done is done. Fact is AA is doing much better, sometimes you have to step back to step ahead.

Let's see how you feel when AA comes back for more. The pension is the next thing to take a hit. Buy at least you'll still have a job!

Hopeful said:
As a mechanic, when you factor in the 17.5% paycut, loss of one week's vacation, loss of doubletime and a half for holidays coupled with loss of 5 holidays, we lost about $120,000 over five years.

FWAAA, what will you say when the price of AMR stick drops back down to single digits as the time nears for employees to start excercising their stock options.

Mechanics have 442 shares each of AMR stock, $5.00 of which is paid back to AA as that was the strike price. For a mechanic to make back the $120,000.00 he/she will have lost after the five years, AMR stock will have to hit $271.00 per share.

So tell me FWAAA, do you think AMR will hit $271.00?

By the way, I don't need a new house. I also don't know how much stock you bought to buy a new house, and even if you have alot of shares, you are probably referring to purchasing a house NOT in LA, San Francisco, New York or Chicago, are you?

you should be working for Warren Buffet if you are that good with the market!
Had you bought 8000 shares at $2.00 per in February/March 2003, you would now have that $120,000 you gave up in the concessions.

I live in LA, and I bought more than enough for a new house, although I have not purchased one.

But then again, I'm not employed by AMR or any of its subs, and I don't share the hatred of everything AMR.

My bad for the house example - I was assuming that mechanics based in Tulsa, MCI, AFW, etc. could get a house for about $120,000. But you're right - the line mechanics in expensive cities have much higher housing costs.

When AMR hit its low of $1.25 last year, it was like picking up money on the sidewalk - buying it makes me no financial wizard. Besides, Buffett has no use for airline stocks.

I just saw shares of the world's largest (and greatest) airline on sale for almost free, and bought all I could, confident that the concessions would be approved.

Too bad more $82,000/yr mechanics (now $62,000/yr) didn't join me. 10,000 shares purchsed in March of last year and you'd be even, not $120,000 in the hole.

FWAAA:

I understand the opportunity to buy AMR stock at its all time low. But the average employee may not have been in the best position to buy enough shares of stock to offset what was to become the largest concession package in the industry. They were being threatened with bankruptcy and the last thing on their minds was borrowing money from their 401k to buy AMR at 1.45. Had AMR actually gone bankrupt, that 8000 shares bought at $1.45 would be just about worthless once bankruptcy was in progress.
Since you stated you are not employed by AMR or any of its subsidiaries, please allow me to enlighten you on some things.

American did not just ask for concessions. They went after every aspect of our contract. They threatened us and won.

Do you know that employees were getting paid longevity pay? Longevity pay was ONE PENNY per year of service PER HOUR max .30 CENTS. THEY TOOK THAT AWAY! As little as 5 cents up to 30 cents an hour!
All this while Don Carty and the ELITE 44 executives were getting their bankruptcy proof pensions and parachutes.

Forgive me if I don't share your views on American

Ya gotta love the tag "Hopeful"!! The one guy who can find the dark cloud inside the silver lining! It baffels me as to why you still hang around AA. I would NEVER EVER work at a place I was so miserable at and felt so mistreated. You might want to check out Airtran and JB's websites. I think they're hiring AMTs!

Latest posts

Back