AMR Execs Snub 9/11 Memorial Dedication

Agree completely that it was supposed to be a day of remembrance.

Perhaps you can explain the purpose of someone from APA taking roll-call of who wasn't there? Using the dead in order to advance an unrelated political purpose isn't any more excusable in my book than it is for people to show up at someone's funeral for the publicity.
check your field manual, its military custom. As a number of the crews lost were prior service I feel this was a way to honor them as the first fallen in the war on terror. May theyR.I.P.

Agree completely that it was supposed to be a day of remembrance.

Perhaps you can explain the purpose of someone from APA taking roll-call of who wasn't there? Using the dead in order to advance an unrelated political purpose isn't any more excusable in my book than it is for people to show up at someone's funeral for the publicity.

It's not like it hasn't been done before.

Perhaps you can get a whiff of the scent both AMR and TWU Senior levels emanted when they used the dead, dying and deceased to prevent a democratic choice between Unions at AA.

I am not familiar with what you are referring to...

Then go re-read the first post from WNP.

About 240 words or so are dedicated to flogging management.

Once that was done, 120 words or so were devoted to a description of the actual dedication.

You decide for yourselves if it was political or not....

Those first four paragraphs do absolutely nothing to remember those who died almost seven years ago, and I find it entirely shameless for the APA's communication team to use this event as the backdrop for an opportunity to throw stones at management. They have plenty of other opportunities for that. Using the dead to get that message out is abhorrent.

Either way, I would still like to know if corporate was invited, or even notified that the event was going down. Or, in the alternative, were they purposely left out of the loop so a couple of unions could put their own political spin on their lack of attendance. Until I know that, I can't find fault with corporate not being there.

Using the dead in order to advance an unrelated political purpose isn't any more excusable in my book than it is for people to show up at someone's funeral for the publicity.

The airlines didnt hesitate to use the dead for economic gain, nor did the poilticians hesitate to use the dead for political purposes, yet here you are blasting the pilots for bringing up the fact that Arpey was not concerned enough to show up for the ceremony. It was July 4th, I doubt he was in the office, how long was the ceremony, an hour? We are all expected to show up for work on July 4th for 8.5 hours and work for half pay, yet an hour is too much to expect from Arpey to show he cares to the reletives of the dead?

Either way, I would still like to know if corporate was invited, or even notified that the event was going down. Or, in the alternative, were they purposely left out of the loop so a couple of unions could put their own political spin on their lack of attendance. Until I know that, I can't find fault with corporate not being there.
Check out eoleson post #12. He states that there were members of management there. If they were notified knew dont you suppose Arpey knew?

Then go re-read the first post from WNP.

About 240 words or so are dedicated to flogging management.

Once that was done, 120 words or so were devoted to a description of the actual dedication.

You decide for yourselves if it was political or not....

Those first four paragraphs do absolutely nothing to remember those who died almost seven years ago, and I find it entirely shameless for the APA's communication team to use this event as the backdrop for an opportunity to throw stones at management. They have plenty of other opportunities for that. Using the dead to get that message out is abhorrent.

I have to admit, I did not read the APA communications memo. I could really care less about what the pilots are doing. They have always, more often than not, displayed themselves to be the most valuable group of employees at AA.
Some years ago, when they proposed a non-rev boarding priority based solely on their PILOT STATUS....well that said it all for me....

Check out eoleson post #12. He states that there were members of management there. If they were notified knew dont you suppose Arpey knew?

It was covered in the local press the week prior to the dedication, so I'm sure he knew about it. One of the questions someone asked in this week's Plane Business was whether or not he was even in town.

Was Lloyd Hill there? Laura Gladding? Jim Little? Surely if it was important enough for the CEO to be there to remember the employees, the heads of the unions would be there, too, right?

It was covered in the local press the week prior to the dedication, so I'm sure he knew about it. One of the questions someone asked in this week's Plane Business was whether or not he was even in town.

Was Lloyd Hill there? Laura Gladding? Jim Little? Surely if it was important enough for the CEO to be there to remember the employees, the heads of the unions would be there, too, right?

Don't know about Gladding and Hill, but I'm sure Little was with Arpey and Co. planning the next concessionary package at Gerry's BBQ!