AMR Dedicates Aircraft

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
FLAGSHIP FREEDOM – AMERICAN AND AMERICAN EAGLE

DEDICATE AIRCRAFT TO HONOR MILITARY SERVICE MEMBERS

Wherever American Airlines and American Eagle fly, so flies the message of freedom. Honoring those who have served and presently serve in the nation's military, AA and Eagle will each dedicate one special yellow-ribbon aircraft as part of a Veteran's Day observance today at DFW airport.

"American Airlines has long drawn on military experience and expertise to operate and maintain our aircraft and contribute to our success as an airline," said CEO Gerard Arpey. "But we cannot overlook or take for granted the men and women who have answered a much greater call. Today, I ask everyone to join me in expressing our deepest thanks for the sacrifices that our fellow employees, and all members of our armed services, past and present, have made to preserve freedom in the United States and offer hope to those around the world."

The tails on an American Boeing 757 and an American Eagle ATR each proudly bear the iconic yellow ribbon to remind those who see it to think of all men and women in the military, and pray for the safe return of those on active duty.

"It is with a sense of deep honor, respect and responsibility that we extend the heart and soul of our airline to these heroes," said Captain Mark Hettermann, Vice President – Flight. "And it is a privilege to dedicate the aircraft to all those who have and will serve in the armed forces."

AA Support for Veterans and Members of the Military

"We have several ongoing programs for members of the military and their families, but this is a wonderful and highly visible way to salute the commitment and heroism of these brave men and women," said Roger Frizzell, Vice President – Corporate Communications and Advertising.

American Airlines supports veterans and members of the military through a variety of programs and events throughout the year including America's Huey 091 Foundation, Sky Ball, Disabled Veterans Adventure Ski Week, Seats for Soldiers and Snowball Express, among others.

American extends special travel benefits to veterans including waived baggage fees, discounts on leisure travel, early boarding, preferred seating upgrades when available, Admirals Club admission for soldiers traveling in uniform, and travel sponsorship for Medal of Honor recipients.

Most recently, employees have formed a Veteran Military Employee Resource Group (ERG). Employees who want to express their support for employees and family members who serve in the military, and further company efforts in meeting the travel needs of veterans and active armed services personnel, can join the Veteran Military ERG or begin a chapter at their location.

"As we dedicate two aircraft today in honor of our veterans who have sacrificed so much to allow us the privilege of freedom, we know that the true spirit of our support and gratitude lives in our hearts," said Bob Reding, Executive Vice President – Operations. "And we look forward to the day when we can welcome home each of our service men and women and say, job well done."

As much as I dislike current management, I have to disagree with you about this being a marketing ploy. Many an AA employee has served and died while serving. I suppose the red ribbons affixed to AA aircraft are a marketing ploy as well.

Anything designed to attract attention is marketing. Regardless of how it is perceived. I didn't say I disagree with it, but marketing is always first in mind for AA in any decision they make such as this. Hence, the disgusting pink ribbons eating extra fuel.

The cynic in me realizes that the origin of this project may have been to help further distance AA from the bad press it received when the soldier tried to ship hundreds of pounds of cargo as checked baggage and neglected to obtain the proper travel vouchers from his unit that would have permitted AA to charge the military for the bags, resulting in AA demanding that the soldier pay and then seek reimbursement himself.

Pink and Yellow ribbons and all the rest have overstayed their welcome by about 25 years, if you ask me.

But it makes some people feel good and allows AA to physically demonstrate its support of veterans (and the breast cancer ribbon industry). Just saying you support good causes and giving money to them is not enough in this "gotta wear a colored ribbon" society we've become.

I know I am straying off topic here and may result in it being closed. But I recall years ago during the Gulf War reading that Sear's supported it's military reservists in a most admirable way. If an employee was called up for active duty as many were during the Gulf war, Sears added to the reservists' salary to equal the Sear's salary. I am not sure how much or any other details, but this action trumps many other shows of support.

I remember. Sears was making sure that their employee's salary pretty much remained the same while they served. As I also recall, the Pentagon protested it privately, saying that what Sears was doing was calling attention to the fact that soldiers are grossly ill-compensated for what they do. Sears said it was doing it more for the families of military employees to make sure they didn't have to suffer from the cut in pay the employee was stuck with while serving their country. It was extremely admirable.

AA has many reservists who were called up to serve. We have to remember that while these employees serve, not only their pay is different, but any insurance they have through AA is rendered moot. If they are injured or heaven forbid, die while on active duty, their insurance either given to them by AA or bought by them through AA doesn't have to pay.

I agree with another poster who mentioned that we have ribboned ourselves silly these days. Adding them to aircraft is just as silly albeit a nice gesture but lets face it, it is done first and foremost to bring attention to the brand. What it looks like it means is up to each individual.

Cynical start to this thread. I tend to believe AA mgt may be a bit more patriotic than most of us think. God bless them for honoring our soldiers. I do group therapy with Irag veterans and know how much suffering they go through. Again God bless AA mgt for this move. Whether you agree or disagree with this war, human beings in combat need our support.

AA publicly supporting the troops is of course good, especially if the purpose is to reinforce and remind the American public of our brothers and sisters on deployment vs a publicity stunt. However,, I would challange that AA do a better job of providing support for our active duty fellow employees and their families. I am sure there is always room for improvment here.

Anyone have thoughts or personal experiences they can share?

However,, I would challange that AA do a better job of providing support for our active duty fellow employees and their families. I am sure there is always room for improvment here.

Anyone have thoughts or personal experiences they can share?

You're damn right I do! Here's a couple that come to mind:

1) If they're so willing to wave the flag and "show their support" now, why is it that the second most "american" holiday isn't a paid one for mechanics at AA? (In case you don't know, it's Memorial Day.) I know, I know -- that's thanks to the pathetic excuse for a union we're stuck with 'round here. BUT I'm sure AA could just give us the day back if they wanted to.......

2) Went to McConnell AFB in 2005 for Airman Leadership School, took MLOA to do it. AA could have made up the difference between my E-4 pay and my AMT pay, but didn't.

3) Went to PGUA on deployment in 2005 (Enduring Freedom support), MLOA again, same outcome.

4) Thanks to all the days of MLOA I took at that time AA cut part of one of the incentive programs' pay-out to me -- seems that MLOA was treated more like sick time off. Had I have been on Jury Duty it wouldn't have affected me at all.......

5) Back to PGUA this last year -- same place, same AA outcome. Got back and had to deal with the idiotic, contracted-out "PayFlex" remittance for the amount that I owed for benefits while I was gone -- prime example of how outsourced administrative duties are absolutely a CF.

We've been told the next time we're called up it'll probably be to the sandbox. But by then I'll be known as a "former airline mechanic" -- you know, TWA: Temporary Workers @ American.

If I took a little more time I bet I could come up with a couple more.......