AMR Expansion in Los Angeles

FrugalFlyerv2.0

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
aa.com
FORT WORTH, Texas, Oct. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines and American Eagle have strengthened their commitment to Los Angeles with plans to add 10 new destinations – one international and nine domestic – for a total of 33 additional round trips beginning April, 5, 2011.

New destinations from LAX include (total number of daily flights):

Albuquerque, N.M. (3)
Boise, Idaho (2)

El Paso, Texas (2)
Houston Bush Intercontinental (3)

Oklahoma City, Okla. (1)
Phoenix, Ariz. (4)

Shanghai, China* (1)
Salt Lake City, Utah (3)

Sacramento, Calif. (4)
Tucson, Ariz. (3)

Hopefully Hong Kong is next destination to be added to LAX

oneworld partner CX flies it at least twice a day, and there's no comparison in the service levels between the two airlines... If you're going to commit an aircraft to a route, do it from somewhere that it isn't already an option within the alliance, like DFW or ORD.

Hopefully Hong Kong is next destination to be added to LAX

A much better idea would be LAX-PEK or JFK-PEK/PVG if PEK slots can be arranged for normal hours. As long as CX is a viable partner and member of Oneworld, AA probably won't be flying its own metal to HKG.

The more I look at this, the more I like it. It appears they've got every major market in the Mountain time zone covered, and a lot of the markets in the Central time zone west of the Mississippi. The only two that are missing are SAT and AUS.

Aus? You sure about that? How many more do you want? 3 737's already.

OK, I missed that. Without Sabre access, getting schedules is a bit of a pain...

It's still an impressive route structure for D48+Canada:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=IAH-LAX,ELP-LAX,TUS-LAX,BOI-LAX,PHX-LAX,SLC-LAX,ORD-LAX,DFW-LAX,MIA-LAX,JFK-LAX,LAS-LAX,MCO-LAX,DEN-LAX,EWR-LAX,BOS-LAX,AUS-LAX,BNA-LAX,OKC-LAX,SJU-LAX,SAF-LAX,STL-LAX,IAD-LAX,YYZ-LAX,FAT-LAX,SMF-LAX,SBA-LAX,SFO-LAX,SAN-LAX,LAX-ABQ,LAX-RNO

Add in Hawaii and Mexico and you've got a larger operation at LAX than many airlines have in total:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=IAH-LAX,ELP-LAX,TUS-LAX,BOI-LAX,PHX-LAX,SLC-LAX,ORD-LAX,DFW-LAX,MIA-LAX,JFK-LAX,LAS-LAX,MCO-LAX,DEN-LAX,EWR-LAX,BOS-LAX,SAT-LAX,AUS-LAX,BNA-LAX,OKC-LAX,SJU-LAX,SAF-LAX,STL-LAX,IAD-LAX,YYZ-LAX,FAT-LAX,SMF-LAX,SBA-LAX,SFO-LAX,SAN-LAX,LAX-SJD,LAX-SAL,LAX-KOA,LAX-HNL,LAX-LIH,LAX-OGG,LAX-RNO,LAX-ABQ

The more I look at this, the more I like it. It appears they've got every major market in the Mountain time zone covered, and a lot of the markets in the Central time zone west of the Mississippi. The only two that are missing are SAT and AUS.

SAT is missing in my opinion as well. I think UA flies it. AA should definitely have 2-3 a day, either CRJ or S-80. Preferably S-80, but might be too big.

Why does AA still operate MD-80s on LAX-DFW and LAX-STL? I flew LAX-STL recently and it was it oversold. I asked the friendly FA why no 737-800 on the route and she agreed but added "I only work here". She said it is very rare for St. Louis to see a 737-800 but does happen occasionally. The MD-80s are really showing their age and need to be phased out.

Josh

I don't think AA can open a 737 pilot base at STL. AA also has to keep a certain amount of pilots based in STL, without the ability to have a 737 base, it gets expensive to deadhead S-80 and 757 pilots into and out of the base. Therefore, I think that is why there is no 737 flights scheduled from STL-LAX. I would assume once the individual that is the baseline is removed from the furlough list AA might have the ability to do different things in STL. Maybe an actual AA pilot can chime in.