Aa Wants To Fly Hnl To Nrt

MiAAmi

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Press Release Source: American Airlines

American Asks DOT for Flight Frequencies to Begin Honolulu-Tokyo Service
Thursday April 29, 4:49 pm ET

FORT WORTH, Texas, April 29 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines today asked the U.S. Department of Transportation for seven weekly U.S.-Japan flight frequencies in order to begin nonstop service between Honolulu and Tokyo.

American noted in its filing that frequencies established in the U.S.- Japan Air Transport Services Agreement for service by U.S. carriers remain available. American seeks seven of the unused weekly roundtrip frequencies for the Honolulu-Tokyo flights.

American said it anticipates a prompt DOT response to its request and will file for Narita Airport slots for the new route as soon as the frequencies are awarded.

American added its fifth U.S. gateway to Japan on April 4 when it inaugurated daily nonstop Los Angeles-Tokyo services. The airline's other services to Tokyo are from Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago, New York's Kennedy Airport and San Jose, Calif., Mineta Airport.

American Airlines is the world's largest carrier. American, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection regional carriers serve more than 250 cities in over 40 countries with more than 4,200 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 1,000 aircraft. American's award-winning Web site, AA.com, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld(tm) Alliance.

GET A GREAT LOW FARE. AND A LOT MORE AIRLINE. AMERICAN AIRLINES

Current AMR Corp. (NYSE: AMR - News) news releases can be accessed via the Internet. Our address is http://www.amrcorp.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: American Airlines

Will there be an HNL base? Or, will f/as have to work one leg from DFW, LAX, ORD, or SFO, have an 8-hour layover, then do the NRT leg? The mind boggles at the return trip! Maybe just a 4 hour sit at HNL. After all, you're gaining time on the way back.

jimntx said:
Will there be an HNL base? Or, will f/as have to work one leg from DFW, LAX, ORD, or SFO, have an 8-hour layover, then do the NRT leg? The mind boggles at the return trip! Maybe just a 4 hour sit at HNL. After all, you're gaining time on the way back.
AA had an HNL base back in the days. I doubt they would re-open it for this trip. If they did that would be a great thing. Maybe that would help bring back our f/a's on furlough.

Back in the days? I think it was less than 10 years ago when the base closed. I cannot imagine how they would fly this. This would be a long long trip from another base! It would have to be a 6 day lax-hnl-nrt-hnl-lax. Two trips a month and you're done! All the senior mamas will be bidding their vacations on that trip! It would be so senior we would need wheelchairs to meet the airplane for the flight attendants!

Semi-off subject question? Someone asked me the other night via pm what the typical DFW-NRT or JFK-NRT trip is like. I know it is 14 hours from DFW and was guessing that it is about the same from JFK. How long is the layover at NRT now? Was it cut drastically like the other Int'l routes?

NRT trips for fa's haven't changed at all. DFW c/p flying LAX-NRT for the time being so their trips go: work DFW-LAX, ron, LAX-NRT, ron, NRT-LAX, ron, work LAX-DFW. FB dhd's to/from LAX.

International layovers to Europe and Japan for the most part have not changed. I think MIA maybe the exception here with their South America layovers. What has changed is that we are being placed at airport locations for 24+ hour layovers. This is in violation of our contract. Right now we are fighting the Rome and Paris big time. I would rather have a 12 hour layover in EUrope if I am going to stay at the airport. Talk about being a captive audience!
As far as the few short Europe layovers we have, those go so senior it is incredile. The ones who are getting screwed are the carribean flyers who almost always have a four hour sit in SJU. Then you get reassigned. It is our new "Satellite Base by force with an all stand-by workgroup".

i think aa would like it to be a 4 leg turn...dfw-hnl-narita-hnl-dfw, and john ward will probably buy right into it as usual!

AAStew said:
International layovers to Europe and Japan for the most part have not changed. I think MIA maybe the exception here with their South America layovers. What has changed is that we are being placed at airport locations for 24+ hour layovers. This is in violation of our contract. Right now we are fighting the Rome and Paris big time. I would rather have a 12 hour layover in EUrope if I am going to stay at the airport. Talk about being a captive audience!
As far as the few short Europe layovers we have, those go so senior it is incredile. The ones who are getting screwed are the carribean flyers who almost always have a four hour sit in SJU. Then you get reassigned. It is our new "Satellite Base by force with an all stand-by workgroup".
What is the difference between a hotel airport layover and a city hotel layover. Why does it matter?

This route also means there would have to be company maintenance in HNL since HNL-NRT would require an ETOPS 1 check.

operaations said:
What is the difference between a hotel airport layover and a city hotel layover. Why does it matter?
Well, imagine you were going on a trip to New York City. Would you prefer to be in Manhattan, say in midtown where you could walk to the theaters, and to the 5th Avenue shopping, and to some of the world's finest restaurants? Or, would you prefer to be at the Radisson at JFK airport where you have to take a very expensive cab just to get to a subway line? And, you would then be 30 minutes to an hour from a decent restaurant. Or perhaps you would like to stay at the Ramada at LGA where the surrounding streets were so dark, it seemed unsafe to even walk outside?

There are still a lot of us who want to do something beside park in our rooms watching TV for 24 hours. And, trust me there are things to do in Rome and Paris beside sit at the hotel watching TV that may or may not have an English language channel.

Most airport hotels know that if you are staying with them, it's because you didn't have a choice. They don't exactly knock themselves out providing decent restaurants or keeping the amenities--like the exercise room--in good working order.

operaations said:
I can't believe you asked this question...
Back in the day (about 10 years ago) I had a 75hr layover in Lisbon. I can't imagine spending that at the airport.

flyingmywingsoff said:
i think aa would like it to be a 4 leg turn...dfw-hnl-narita-hnl-dfw, and john ward will probably buy right into it as usual!
You can vent your frustrations with John all you want, but remember we (as the membership voted to reduce the layover rest rather than take under fly.

mjk said:
NRT trips for fa's haven't changed at all. DFW c/p flying LAX-NRT for the time being so their trips go: work DFW-LAX, ron, LAX-NRT, ron, NRT-LAX, ron, work LAX-DFW. FB dhd's to/from LAX.
Any idea when they expect LAX-I crews to take over the LAX-NRT leg? Surely with the huge proffer at LAX-I recently, they don't intend for this to be an IDF trip permanently.

How do they handle the IDF vs DFW crew situation on the domestic legs? Do they dhd the Int'l crew to LA and back?