Another Emergency Landing @ PHL

What I don't understand was why PHL decided to keep ALL runways closed over an hour AFTER the aircraft landed even though no other runways were being blocked. That decision caused at least several unnecessary diversions and lengthy delays.

Anyway glad no one was hurt. I'd take a "booooring" incident any day to a horrific fireball resulting in multiple losses of life.

It actually was not a ferry flight, it was Flight 3918 ORF-PHL operating about 3 and half hours late due to Mtc. It looks like the original passengers all went on other flights because of the delay which why it looks like there where no passengers onboard.

LGA777

What I don't understand was why PHL decided to keep ALL runways closed over an hour AFTER the aircraft landed even though no other runways were being blocked. That decision caused at least several unnecessary diversions and lengthy delays.

Anyway glad no one was hurt. I'd take a "booooring" incident any day to a horrific fireball resulting in multiple losses of life.

The reason is very simple. All of the fire and emergency response equipment was dispatched to this emergency landing. They were unavailable to respond to, god forbid, another emergency. Therefore, until they show available, nothing moves on airport property. DL had a 757 sitting behind us at B31 for almost 2 hours. Once all of the trucks and equipment were back to being available, DL continued its taxi to 27R, we pushed and sat in line for about an hour and then took off. It was a long night for all of us, but THANK GOD no one was hurt. That's all that matters....many many thanks and accolades to the crew for doing such an outstanding job.

This just happened in DEN. People were hurt, aircraft damaged and on fire. And yet the airport remaines open!!! Thank goodness there have apparently been no fatalities. The question that comes to mind, is what does DEN have that PHL doesn't in terms of CFR management? Why can DEN continue to operate with a major accident on the property and yet PHL shuts down when an RJ nose gear collapse occurs. What's up with that?

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11280093

Comparing DEN and PHL is apples and oranges. The 16/34s are separated by 2600 ft. 17/35s are 5300 ft. The 27/9s at Philly are separated by a much less 1200 ft. The taxiways interact much more with each other at PHL especially emergency equipment all over the airport. You could have an emergency at DEN and 80% of the aircraft departing and arriving would have no clue something is going on because you can't see over there.

Comparing DEN and PHL is apples and oranges. The 16/34s are separated by 2600 ft. 17/35s are 5300 ft. The 27/9s at Philly are separated by a much less 1200 ft. The taxiways interact much more with each other at PHL especially emergency equipment all over the airport. You could have an emergency at DEN and 80% of the aircraft departing and arriving would have no clue something is going on because you can't see over there.
Also, DEN has 4 CFR houses compared with PHL's 1.

Dorf

Also, DEN has 4 CFR houses compared with PHL's 1.

Dorf

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winna, folks!!!

Seems silly for Philly to have all of its CFR eggs in one basket. Not to mention the impracticallity of being forced to secure operations for hours during minor emergencies as a result.

This looks suspiciously political to me.

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winna, folks!!!

Seems silly for Philly to have all of its CFR eggs in one basket. Not to mention the impracticallity of being forced to secure operations for hours during minor emergencies as a result.

This looks suspiciously political to me.
Response time dictates equipment placement, ARFF units are timed every year during the airports 139 inspection done by the FAA. CLT is building it's second barn due to the 4th runway being installed and the distance from the other barn...

Who did the work on this plane?
Air Wisconsin maintenance work all night and day on this a/c it left Norfolk 4 hr late as a schedule revenue departure. It is not unusual for Air Wisconsin to operate flights very late because of the completion contract they have with US Airways.

Latest posts

Back