Another F/a Furloughs Commences January 15, 2004

oh so sad to hear that news!

Grab the DEC 1st issue of TIME..

Quote" US was granted nearly $1 BILLION in federal aid--and it's still a MESS"!!

There is a vacuum with in our company-and its not the employees!

Thank you Dilligas for the thoughtful and heartfelt post. I think many on furlough reading this news are taking your advice to heart.

Many I have spoken to were waiting for the new business plan to be announced before giving up those US Airways recall rights. I think this news is the final straw. Maybe its better to know before the new year so those that were waiting can fully commit themselves to seeking out new horizons in the new year.

To those that are getting furloughed, my thoughts are with you. The first few months are like a big release of stress, after it sets in after a few months is the hardest. Take a short break, regroup and act quickly on new opportunities. Keep yourself occupied and surrounded by friends. You'll be surprised how much of a support group you have in your co-workers in the same position.

I am sorry to hear that more of our employees will be pushed out the door in Jan. Hopefully the 200 active F/A's will be back ASAP - should they chose to come back. Hopefully when (if) they are able to increase flying by utilizing concepts like rolling the PHL hub and increasing aircraft utilization rates you will be recalled.

My heart goes out to those that will be effected. I know it is tough and I wish you all the best in dealing with the challenges that are ahead.

The words, US Airways and Career should never be used in the same sentence. US Airways no longer wants career employees and those of us who hired on here thinking we had a career are an endangered species. When CLE was closed earlier this year, the company held a job fair for new hires for Mainline Express. At no time in either the RAH RAH session or in the newspaper ad, was the word career ever used.

Wow. I'm kinda surprised. Kinda. I thought with the company seeking work rule changes/cost saving measures, they would play nice, at least for a little while. I Guess not. Odd they would make such a move when AFA will have to vote to agree to future work rule changes. Honestly, who knows what goes on in CCY. I'm tired of trying to figure it out. Well, on one side of this story. This new group of involuntarily furloughed fa's will be senior at MDA, should they accept the offer and the move to PIT(maybe). Not at the same wage, but the schedule/block holder lifestyle will be a nice improvement over reserve at mainline. And with many reserves not making their option.......being a block holder at MDA will at least provide most with a steady monthly income they can count on.

P.S. Management: When trying to obtain more cost cutting/improvements......you should try to play nice nice with the employees. Do the right thing and offer a Voluntary Furlough Program.

PITBULL! YOUR WRONG GO back and read eline. Afa has constantly said to fight rumors i might add, that the company had made no firm plans for anything and that when they did they would let everyone know. AFA knew this would happen and if your being told different my friend its called CYA! It may have not been said in public, but one would have to be nuts not to see the writing. BTW where in the contract does it say they OWE us another invol furlough? Just trying to deal with the facts here friend not emotions.

My heart also goes out to all of those f/as. Like someone else said it's over.
I know nothing about the f/a contract, but PIT how can they do this ?
We are short staffed everywhere. Just from where I am at you should see all those psgrs missed bags & injured employees due to being short staffed. I guess I just don't get it......

usfliboy:

Below is the exact provision of the Tenative Agreement (#1):

Furlough Protection LOA

C. In the event the Company institutes a reduction in force that results in the furlough of employees covered by this Agreement, the Company will offer employees who would not have been involuntarily furloughed the opportunity to accept a Voluntary Furlough. The commencement of such Voluntary Furloughs will coincide with the date(s) established for involuntary furloughs. The benefits of Voluntary Furlough will include unlimited on-line passes for twenty-four (24) months, and the Company will not actively contest claims for unemployment benefits filed by employees accepting voluntary furlough.

My issue is the term "reduction in force". There seems to be some misunderstanding on the line that the term was "reduction in aircraft count" and other similar circumstances. But no, the trigger event to initiate a voluntary furlough offer is "REDUCTION IN FORCE".

As of January 15th, we will have 200 fewer active flight attendants on the property than we do today. That, in my opinion, aptly qualifies as a "reduction in force" and mandates the company to offer a voluntary furlough. Anything less should be considered a major dispute and warrants an appropriate level of "job action" against the company.

Another excellent post Dilligas.

My heart does go out to the Flight Attendants. When you are ready to draw the line in the sand we in Maintenance will stand with you.

--The New Lorenzo makes me sick.

If management is truly interested in saving money, wouldn't it make more sense to offer a voluntary furlough to the more senior, higher paid folks?

There's alot of people (me included) that would jump at the chance to take a leave...

500+ F/As seems like a lot. Is US that overstaffed? Is this the result of the new reserve system?

Perkey there have been a few offers now have u jumped yet ? I think the language your infact talking about ( IN FORCE) is indeed yet another example of wording that left doors open for both the company and unions to dispute over. Afa and its lawyers did a poor job of going over this contract if there is someone to blame it should be the quickness that this contract was written and looked over. Im not saying that it wasnt meant the way it read, but as in any contract doors have to be tight when it comes to wording. With that said im sure wed all like to see everyone rehired today but its not gonna happen.

Dear Dilligas,

I am so humbled by your post.

I have been prepared for a little over a year now for the inevitable. And I am moved to tears by grief as I write this. All our people have suffered on this property, so undeserving of this kind of wrath by these strange people that have infected our airline 18 months ago. Their lies, their misrepresentation, they have stolen our livilihoods, our loyalties, our professions, and have disgraced us in the business community, government, and industry.

They will NOT steal our dignity and pride...till the last day!

My heart is broken, and I will never give in to this management for all those folks out on the street (20,000 and climbing) who had mislead and blinded faith when they voted in their demise. And those who are still on the property and continue to suffer at their hands.... we are with you.

Dear Bob

The younger posters do not have a clue as to what Dill and I refer to, but, be it as it may and out of respect I will let it drop. Can't win a war on these boards and no sense making enemies trying.

usflyboi wrote:
Perkey there have been a few offers now have u jumped yet ?

No, but I started a new job (part time for now) and a vol. furlough would be perfect so I could go f/t.. If all goes well, I won't be back...

usflyboi wrote:
I think the language your infact talking about ( IN FORCE) is indeed yet another example of wording that left doors open for both the company and unions to dispute over. Afa and its lawyers did a poor job of going over this contract if there is someone to blame it should be the quickness that this contract was written and looked over. Im not saying that it wasnt meant the way it read, but as in any contract doors have to be tight when it comes to wording

That could be, but there has been a "past practice" precedent set here by having offered voluntary furloughs previously. To have observed the contract language and then deviate a year or two later creates, in my mind, a weaker case for the company.

It will be interesting to see how the grievance(s) are resolved...

Back