Another F/a Furloughs Commences January 15, 2004

USFlyer said:
500+ F/As seems like a lot. Is US that overstaffed? Is this the result of the new reserve system?
Yes.

Morale was at an all time low over this holiday. those folks new, deep down, they would be gone, once they saw that no reserve in December was breaking "guarantee" min. pay.

USflyboi,

I promise you as sure as I am sitting here, there will be so much time taken on this next concession, that you will turn into "Rip Van Winkle".

So get comfy, and sweet dreams.

First a thank you to all the hard working folks (and those that have gone before you) that showed up did your jobs and went home, paid your bills, took care of your families otherwise known as a good person.

Second, my deepest sympathies for those who are filtering through this latest round of bad news.

i just want to get this straight, on the surface it appears that the people in this terrible situation (and those before) simply were here for the holidays? we dont need you now so by? what happens when summer comes more recalls?

continuing this line of thought, again wanting to get the facts straight, after making statements to the effect that we dont trust you and emphasizing this point by standing up and walking out after DAVE gave his talk at a BOD meeting, then and only then (meaning after the rep left) oh you should have stayed because i'm going to get 60 more planes????? come on, what's next, going to the employee groups in this case the F/As and say well i wont furlough if you give me XXXX back? or same thing to Pilots or the Mech's can have the airbus work if i get this XX? buying your jobs back?

well that's enough for now. godspeed to all the employees of UAIR out there god knows you have had it tougher than any other airline post 9/11 (heck even pre 9/11) my heart goes out to you all

.......................when the Yankees lose they dont fire the team.........they fire the manager!

PineyBob said:
[I do NO ONE's Dirty Work. I am apalled at the sick call rate! Just as I was over the decision to outsource the Airbus work. BOTH in my mind were wrong decisions and i remain stedfast in that view. I don't know enough about how F/A schedules are set and I don't know a block holder from a blockhead, so whether this latest round is justified I do not know. But I do know where the numbers fall in corporate America.
Pineybob,

Funny, you don't know much about the F/A position, but you sure have a lot to say about it! I RESPECT the fact that you are a dedicated passenger that flies US a lot! But really, should you be tearing apart the F/A work rules (that you have no idea what you are talking about) like you do on these boards? I don't think anybody ,outside a F/A, would EVEN understand the F/A position and what is entailed in it!

To all those that are going to get furlough notices, hang in there, stick it out if it's really what you want to do! If not, good luck in future endeavors! I think all of us are beginning to realize that this job could be taking away from us at any time!

Bob,

I think you're a little off in your estimate.

Someone posted that no reserves are breaking guarantee in Dec. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but if it is accurate there is no extra cost in the sick call since no one got paid extra. If, in fact, covering sick calls resulted in reserves going over guarantee, then there would be that incremental cost of the amount over guarantee.

Jim

Not sure where you got those numbers from, if its just a % of sick calls because of last week, then in NO WAY is that an average of every day of the year! I don't defend my fellow colleagues in their actions....but OBVIOUSLY there is a MAJOR problem with what's going on in this department and it's reflecting with the amount of sick calls. Enough is enough, stop taking from the employees, learn HOW to run an airline without stealing from the people who are trying to keep their heads above the water! With this latest round of furloughs, and shortages like we just saw, do you think its going to get any better? Not sure if that was a smart idea? I feel for the 200 active F/A's who will lose their jobs.....seems as the other 352 on voluntary furlough don't really have their heart in it anymore. But then again, can you blame them?

PITbull, get the resume ready. This airline is headed for a damn train wreck. If it isn't another chapter 11 filing it will surely end with one of the unions going on strike and taking it down. Siegel just doesn't know how to manage people. He's the greediest ******* since Lorenzo.

No offense here, but 500 people just lost thier livelihood and you guys are arguing about sick time AGAIN. Can we confine it to another post?

Light Years,

You are absolutely right.....that topic is on another board that has dragged on and on....it just makes me crazy not to say anything to people who really don't understand what's going on here! My apologies!

PineyBob said:
I do know that a 12% Sick call rate is UNACCEPTABLE in ANY workgroup!

<snip>
By my very rough and somewhat uneducated guess this abuse cost the company between 5 and 20 million dollars annually!

<snip>
So maybe there is the negotiating ground?
Save your screaming. You don't know jack. You don't work here, you don't have any idea other than what the people manipulating you and cultivating you tell you in order to feed your ego. You are a pawn, nothing more. You have no right to berate our flight attendants, our labor reps, no one. Write your letters to Consumer Affairs and spare us your lectures. At one time I found your posts interesting, but now you've grown to be a "legend in your own mind" and I find your posts nothing more than impotent ravings of a person starving for attention.

You truly need to go to the Wendy's board and debate the effect of mad cow disease on "sweet thang's" industry. That is more in line with your expertise. Gawd I bet she loves to hear you lecture her on proper Frosty mixing procedure.

Save your actuarial calculations too. I have a distinct feeling where your "numbers" are coming from. Figures lie and Liars Figure. Any numbers can be manipulated to represent whatever approach one wants to make.

There is no negotiating ground. You cannot negotiate with people that do not honor their word and contracts.

For a non employee to spend as much time and effort arguing on here, is ludicrous, and defies reason, bordering on obsession.

Oh yeah, thanks for flying US Airways.

BostonTerrier said:
usfliboy:

As of January 15th, we will have 200 fewer active flight attendants on the property than we do today. That, in my opinion, aptly qualifies as a "reduction in force" and mandates the company to offer a voluntary furlough. Anything less should be considered a major dispute and warrants an appropriate level of "job action" against the company.
That is not correct!!!!

Before I go any further, let me say that I am sorry for anyone that is getting furloughed and I wish them the best. I too am getting furloughed from my f/a position.

With that said...there is NO reduction is staffing!!
We had a set number of f/a's and 300+ RETURNED IN DECEMBER AS A RESULT OF PREVIOUS REDUCTIONS IN STAFFING. You see, this isn't a reduction in staffing..it is merely a "REPLACEMENT" of current people. Same number of slots just different names. In fact, it is only 200 active as opposed to the 300+ that returned.

Do I agree with this? Hell NO!!!
Should they offer a Vol furlough? Hell Yes!!

But the fact of the matter is it clearly states that a vol will be offered in the event of a reduction in staffing.....again NO REDUCTION. JUST CHANGING THE NAME TAGS. :(

I hope Teddy and the MEC give them hell. I honestly think this is a losing battle. We have to try though don't we????

Get em Teddy Xidas!!!!!!!!!!!!

That comment about the 60 add'l airplanes is and was ONLY to appease the Union leaders! We can't even afford to keep the planes we have right now! He probably threw that comment out so he wouldn't be "jumped" on the way to his car! Seems that every new CEO falls into this "blackhole" and can't run this airline! It's a mystery, many have tried, many have failed! :unsure:

TwiceBaked:

Wow...they sure brainwash you fast don't they. I guess that new "division" is working wonders. How fast your tune changes my freind. You know that what they are doing is WRONG and DISGUSTING. There are 500 people that would like to leave and let a JR person stay...they won't even offer the option! This place is insane!

Twice,

Any number over 367 is a further reduction. Presently management intiated a further reduction of personal by 185.

This a not only an MEC grievance but a media event that portrays further evidence of this management not honoring their commitments.

Back