Another victory for UA ALPA

767jetz

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
From ALPA communications:

"I am very pleased to report that the United Pilots’ System Board of Adjustment chaired by Arbitrator George Nicolau has issued an Opinion and Award finding that the management of United Airlines did not have just cause to discharge or even to discipline Captain Steve Tamkin in connection with the events leading to the preliminary injunction in 2008. The Award orders United Airlines to reinstate Captain Tamkin to his position at United with full back pay and benefits and the restoration of his seniority."

"The System Board Award reads as follows:

For the reasons expressed in the foregoing Opinion, the Company's termination of Captain Steven Tamkin is without just cause.

Captain Tamkin shall be reinstated to service and be made whole for all pay and benefits and without loss of seniority."

Another fine job by Mr. Nicolau! Guess he's not as senile as some people like to claim.

"I am very pleased to report that the United Pilots’ System Board of Adjustment chaired by Arbitrator George Nicolau has issued an Opinion and Award finding that the management of United Airlines did not have just cause to discharge or even to discipline Captain Steve Tamkin in connection with the events leading to the preliminary injunction in 2008. The Award orders United Airlines to reinstate Captain Tamkin to his position at United with full back pay and benefits and the restoration of his seniority."

For the reasons expressed in the foregoing Opinion, the Company's termination of Captain Steven Tamkin is without just cause.

Captain Tamkin shall be reinstated to service and be made whole for all pay and benefits and without loss of seniority."

Another fine job by Mr. Nicolau! Guess he's not as senile as some people like to claim.

OUTSTANDING!!!! George is the man and well respected by America West pilots not to be confused with the east scab operation.

AWA320

Reactions: 1 person

767jetz,

Anytime that a pilot termination is overturned it is a victory and I'm very happy for Capt. Tamkin. I'm sure he has been through hell during the past couple of years. It would be great if the company also had to pay damages.

Regards,

Bob Moore

767jetz,

Anytime that a pilot termination is overturned it is a victory and I'm very happy for Capt. Tamkin. I'm sure he has been through hell during the past couple of years. It would be great if the company also had to pay damages.

Regards,

Bob Moore
Damages would be nice. I'd certainly support him if he decides to pursue damages against the company. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) most of the confrontational management that pursued this illegal termination are now gone with the CO merger. Too bad he can't go after Glen Tilton personally.

he should go after the upper mgmt regardless im sure the attorneys would be able to serv glenn tilton w the necessary paperwork

OUTSTANDING!!!! George is the man and well respected by America West pilots not to be confused with the east scab operation.

AWA320
AWA320,

I take offense to your use of scab. I was an alpa member from 1973 until the formation of usapa. During that time I paid my dues and assessments faithfully. I walked the picket lines with CO pilots, UA pilots, Eastern pilots, and others. Just because it is a different union does not make usapa members scabs. Usapa is now the cba for all the pilots at USairways and I'll pay my dues until the day I leave and if alpa ever comes back to the property then I'll pay dues to alpa until I leave.

Respectfully,

Bob Moore

Reactions: 1 person
AWA320,

I take offense to your use of scab. I was an alpa member from 1973 until the formation of usapa. During that time I paid my dues and assessments faithfully. I walked the picket lines with CO pilots, UA pilots, Eastern pilots, and others. Just because it is a different union does not make usapa members scabs. Usapa is now the cba for all the pilots at USairways and I'll pay my dues until the day I leave and if alpa ever comes back to the property then I'll pay dues to alpa until I leave.

Respectfully,

Bob Moore

Bob,

Being union is more than just paying dues dollars and thats were many get it all wrong. I too was a proud member of ALPA and served the union in many capacities. When I think of union I think of brothers and sisters standing side by side to fight against greedy corp management to help better our lives and the lives of our familles. Never in history has there been the construction of what is supposed to be a union used to tear down the very people its supposed to serve and protect. Usapa is the pure definition of anti union. It was desigend for the express purpose of getting around and mutually agreed upon arbitration. When we talk of scabs we are talking about a group of people that are willing to take that from us for which they are not entitled. No arbitration, no court room no nothing they just show up and take. Thats Usapa!

I'm sorry you take offense to the term that describes the group you so fondly pay your dues to but like I said before, its more than just paying dues.

Regards

AWA320

Usapa is the pure definition of anti union. It was desigend for the express purpose of getting around and mutually agreed upon arbitration.

Regards

AWA320
I agree with every word of that. I also agree that unionism is much more than paying dues and then allowing the ones you elected run a muck. However IMO the word scab is reserved specifically for those who turn a wheel during a legal strike.

I understand your sentiment. And in some ways what USAPA is doing is worse than a scab since they do it under the false pretense of "what's fair for everyone" when we all know that's not true. (Heck, some might say calling USAPA members scabs is an insult to scabs.) At least a scab pretty much is upfront about his intentions. But scab is a pretty specific word to describe a pretty specific person.

Maybe we should start a new thread entitled: "What word other than scab should we all USAPA?" :D

(Heck, some might say calling USAPA members scabs is an insult to scabs.) At least a scab pretty much is upfront about his intentions. But scab is a pretty specific word to describe a pretty specific person.

Maybe we should start a new thread entitled: "What word other than scab should we all USAPA?" :D

:lol: :lol: An insult to scabs I cant stop laughing at that.

The term is a dirty word in our profession and that I completely understand. I further understand that its been used in the past to identify a specific group. I have and extremely difficult time seperating what a strike breaker does and what usapa is, they both STEAL and make excuses as to why they shoud be allowed to STEAL.

I am not a member of that outfit as my name will NEVER be associated with usapa. I pay their extortion rates and even say nothing about their taking up a space in the cockpit of an aircraft that I am operating. The world of aviation needs to know about this group and what it COULD mean to future arbitrations, remember that sword cuts both ways...

AWA320

The world of aviation needs to know about this group and what it COULD mean to future arbitrations, remember that sword cuts both ways...

AWA320
Absolutely. And fear not, at least on the UA side. Almost every council meeting I attend, USAPA and the east/west mess is mentioned as the way not to do things. We are well aware of the tactics used to TRY to avoid binding arbitration. Both UA and CO pilots have committed to accepting whatever result comes from arbitration if it comes down to that.

Absolutely. And fear not, at least on the UA side. Almost every council meeting I attend, USAPA and the east/west mess is mentioned as the way not to do things. We are well aware of the tactics used to TRY to avoid binding arbitration. Both UA and CO pilots have committed to accepting whatever result comes from arbitration if it comes down to that.

767jetz,

Actually avoiding/changing binding arbitration is nothing new. The company my Dad worked for (Associated Transport)had a dispute between two domiciles in the 1960's that was reversed with no adverse affects to the company.

Regards,
Bob Moore

:lol: :lol: An insult to scabs I cant stop laughing at that.

The term is a dirty word in our profession and that I completely understand. I further understand that its been used in the past to identify a specific group. I have and extremely difficult time seperating what a strike breaker does and what usapa is, they both STEAL and make excuses as to why they shoud be allowed to STEAL.

I am not a member of that outfit as my name will NEVER be associated with usapa. I pay their extortion rates and even say nothing about their taking up a space in the cockpit of an aircraft that I am operating. The world of aviation needs to know about this group and what it COULD mean to future arbitrations, remember that sword cuts both ways...

AWA320

To steal from someone is a serious crime, perhaps the worst crime there is, since murder is just another form of stealing. But - if you never had it in the first place, then you cannot and should not lay claim to it as though it were yours. That's a form of stealing as well. The process which the east and west submitted to required one last and crucial event - a ratification vote. That process was never fully completed because it was interrupted by another crucial event - a representational election. The Nic is not yours until and unless it is ratified by the rank and file. The courts will now decide if it even shows up in a tentative agreement. And don't forget that we were heading to court over this under ALPA as well.

Both you and Jetz no longer make any substantive or constructive contributions to this debate, so you resort to insults. Maybe you should give it a rest.

Happy Holidays

KV

Here is an example of those who turned a wheel in a strike.

UAL wheel turners

"Since these were voluntary resignations, and by definition not a strike since literally no strike had been called, there was no longer any labor protections afforded to the union or its members as should be obvious."

So... not scabs after all. I was not struck work. Leave it to you to lie and expect people to blindly believe you. No credibility at all.