Any One Know The Code For Reserve Preferences

The code for pilots is HIRPB - Reserve Preference Ballot, then its a straight menu just like the HIPVD.

I believe also for the pilots is option 092 from AVRS to get into the system, but not sure, check the DF*/HIDIR for AVRS commands.

FA Mikey said:
Anyone know the code to enter reserve preferences? Not that its ever worked for me. Other people tell it has for them though. I will put it in and hope for the best.
There used to be a good Reserve Preferences Guide accessible from the main Bidding page of the AAFlightService web site. It contained all the requisite Sabre codes as well as explanations and examples. Not that any of that helped; my wife never got any of her choices.

I don't know if it is still available in that section of the site, but it may be worth your while to check for it there.

Thanks guys, I got a call just before I checked back. Best way if you can at least remember HIPREF do that in the HI mode and the codes come up. I couldn't remember that much. I do this every three months, I can remember the contract in good detail but something so simple is beyond my abilities.

TWNR I understand about not getting your pref. I have never gotten one and mine are pretty general. I guess the purser thing really screws me up sometimes. Used to be wonderful to be purser on reserve, now just plain sucks. Is your wife purser of language, did that play a part or was it just the same 'ol AA bs.

FA Mikey said:
Try sitting a month or two on reserve. Watch how they go out of there way to be absolutly difficult. Then we will see if you can have something positive to say.
Amen. Maybe if operaations could field a few calls after getting off a trip at 1730 followed by a call at 0130 that he had a sign-in at for next trip at 1500, he would understand. Of course, being a scheduler he will deny that such things ever happen.

The reserve preferences were a good idea at the time the contract was developed (pre-9/11). However, the company has made sure that since most flight attendants on reserve don't approach their average utilization for any given time of the month anymore, preferences will not be honored.

Just because everyone tends to be below utilization is no reason that the company could not give an early sign-in to someone who actually wants an early sign-in all things being equal. But, don't you see, that would benefit the flight attendant; so, we can't have that, now can we?

FA Mikey said:
Is your wife purser of language, did that play a part or was it just the same 'ol AA bs.
Mike,

My wife was language qualified. However, she was flying domestic so those qualifications did not influence her reserve assignments. She last flew as an In-Flight Service Manager (the term describing the Purser at TWA) in 1993, so her purser qualifications were not current.

Her situation was similar to what is described by jimntx, in the preceding post; she was always either above or below the utilization range so the schedulers were free to ignore her desires.

Yes, same ol' AA b.s.

Amen. Maybe if operaations could field a few calls after getting off a trip at 1730 followed by a call at 0130 that he had a sign-in at for next trip at 1500, he would understand. Of course, being a scheduler he will deny that such things ever happen.

The reserve preferences were a good idea at the time the contract was developed (pre-9/11). However, the company has made sure that since most flight attendants on reserve don't approach their average utilization for any given time of the month anymore, preferences will not be honored.

Just because everyone tends to be below utilization is no reason that the company could not give an early sign-in to someone who actually wants an early sign-in all things being equal. But, don't you see, that would benefit the flight attendant; so, we can't have that, now can we?

Jimntx...I will not deny it happens and it is not malicious. I for one do not enjoy waking anyone up at any time of the day. We are damned if we do and damned if we dont. Try fielding a few calls from the flight attendant that said you have known about this change in sign in since 11pm why didnt you call me then. Some of you might have been asleep and do not want to be disturbed and some would prefer to know with as much notice as possible. You can not please everybody. (as a flight attendant you should know first hand how tough it is to please everyone)
As reserve preferences go..I think it is a flawed system that is not used effectively. I believe we can use it, and we should use it better. We should give the early sign ins to the people who want them and so on and so on. It needs to be fixed properly.

Now get up off the florr jimntx since you are probably in shock that i agreed with you on all matters and did not argue with you at all.
Just a little note...for all of those who like to finish up the reserve month as quickly as possible...there is something called short call reserve.....it is another list that tells crew schedule that you can p[robably make it to the airport at a moments notice. EX..it is now 1400 and crew schedule has a trip departing at 1545 we are supposed to pull a short call reserve list and call the flight attendants on that list to give them the assignement. If they accept the trip and cant make it the contract prohibits penalty because it was less than two hours notice. This is the only way a person with 30 hours can get a trip before the flight attendant with 15 hours gets it. If the person with 30 hours is on the list and tghe person with 15 hours is not on the list than the person with 30 gets the call and gets the hours. And with the holiday season of winter weather comming...I think it should be easy to max out quick to have the end of the month off.
Just my way of trying to spread something i think is nice to all of the flight attendants who may not be aware of this.

operaations said:
Jimntx...I will not deny it happens and it is not malicious...

Now get up off the florr jimntx since you are probably in shock that i agreed with you on all matters and did not argue with you at all.
Repent! Repent! The end of the world is nigh. A scheduler and a flight attendant have agreed. The balance of the universe is irreversibly disturbed. There is no Yin and no Yang, henceforth.

Operaations, the one thing with which I would take issue...

When I get a call (and it happened more than once) at 0130 for a sign-in 15 hours later, you can not convince me that it was not malicious. The scheduler is looking at my schedule. He/she knows that I just got in from a trip. If the sign-in is at 1500, the call does not HAVE to be made until 1200. 0800 or 0900 would be the earliest that you could justify making that call.

:D that was funny jimntx...but i know the people on the midnight shift. there is onlt three of them for all the crew bases. They are in a crunch to get the calls made and when they run across one they call it....if it is put aside it may get lost or misplaced and you may never get a call.....not malicious...maybe disorganized and need to better manage time wisely...but you didnt hear that from me.lol

operaations said:
not malicious...maybe disorganized and need to better manage time wisely...but you didnt hear that from me.
How about careless, inconsiderate and insensitive?

I was under the impression that crew schedulers were forbidden, by contract, to call those on reserve, regarding assignments, during their rest period following a flight.

Mikey,

Go into your personnel mode in DECS and type the following for codes: HIPREF

TWAnr said:
How about careless, inconsiderate and insensitive?

I was under the impression that crew schedulers were forbidden, by contract, to call those on reserve, regarding assignments, during their rest period following a flight.
well, yes and no. You can send a HISEND message stating the start and stop times of your rest period. You are then required to contact scheduling at the end of the rest period. They may or may not honor the rest period. They can always claim "operational necessity."

The small, but telling point that a lot of flight attendants forget is whether you submit the HISEND or not, contractually during your rest period you are not required to inform scheduling of your whereabouts or to remain in touch with them. Therefore, Scheduling can call you all they want, but you are not required to answer the phone during your rest period.

I know. I came in from a trip at 1630. Including 15-minute debrief, my rest period began at 1645. As I was on reserve, I was entitled to a 12-hour rest period. A scheduler called me at 0045 to try and give me an 0600 sign-in. I did not answer the phone (deliberately). The scheduler gave me a missed trip. but when I called in at 0415 (30 minutes early) and stated the exact applicable article, section, and paragraph of the contract to her, she conceded that she had to remove the missed trip from my record.

Oh, and operaations, don't say it wasn't malicious. A friend of mine who had the same line as I that month had 15 hours less than I at that point in the month. She did not get a call for 2 more days. There was no bad weather, no OSO. She is neither a speaker nor a purser; she and I are qualified on the exact same aircraft; and, I'm 10 numbers senior to her. It was just deliberate, unnecessary calling in the middle of the night.

I will say this. Flight attendants who do not read the contract deserve whatever treatment they get from the company. And, I've heard all the whining about "I can't understand all the wherefores and the to wits. It makes my head hurt." It is my responsibility as an employee covered by a contract to know the parts of that contract which apply to me. And, I admit, I had to sit down with a paper and pencil and struggle through some of the more arcane calculations regarding hours and pay. But, I did it.

And, as far as the STL flight attendants (former TWA) that I had the opportunity to meet, most of them knew the AA contract better than the average nAAtive flight attendant. I guess that having been there and done that, they had better sense than to trust the company or the union to look after their welfare.

Latest posts