Are AA''s executive bonus situation and Carty''s possible dismissal similar at all to.......

----------------
On 4/23/2003 5:36:25 PM Dea Certe wrote:

Wow! They can figure out how much to pay Dave, compute his rapid accrual of seniority for retirement purposes but has anyone come up with an explanation of the flight attendant sick policy?

Should I get sick, do the courtesy of staying home and not exposing my coworkers and passengers to my illness and I get penalized. No one can tell me exactly how much, though.

I think the entire country is getting a more than a little annoyed at the disparity between CEO pay/benefits and what the workers get. We middle class/working class folks are pretty much paying the freight in this country through our taxes. What happens when we are all bumped to lower tax brackets? The wealthy aren''t going to be paying their fair share if the Bush tax cuts get passed. Who''s going to pay the bills?

How many thousands of people are unemployed or under-employed today? I suppose we can look for jobs at the country clubs, trimming the greens and keeping the cocktails poured.

In the good times, no one worried about CEO comp packages. It''s a little hard to justify these hefty bonuses while demanding pay and benefit cuts from the ranks. And crying poor to the federal government.

----------------​
-----------------------------------------------------------

Well said, Dea Certe!

Class warfare is alive and well, and the middle class has been losing since the mid-70''s.

The thing that galls me is a good part of it is our fault, and it is easily rectified.

Yes, shame on the politicians that sell us out. But we make that easy for them by not staying informed, staying in their face, and VOTING. How many of our peers know who our federal congress critter is? State congress critter? What his/her voting record is? Why shouldn''t the pols sell out when we collectively do not give a damn?

And shame on greedy CEO''s, too. But by not holding pols to account, we have created this playground for the ''Neutron Jack''s'' and the ''Chainsaw Al''s of the world.

The enduring wisdom of the Founders was to create a system of checks and balances, and divided powers. That system was predicated on an informed and engaged citizenship.

Thus endeth the civics outburst!

----------------
On 4/24/2003 9:12:28 AM diogenes wrote:

Class warfare is alive and well, and the middle class has been losing since the mid-70's.

The thing that galls me is a good part of it is our fault, and it is easily rectified.

Yes, shame on the politicians that sell us out. But we make that easy for them by not staying informed, staying in their face, and VOTING. How many of our peers know who our federal congress critter is? State congress critter? What his/her voting record is? Why shouldn't the pols sell out when we collectively do not give a damn?

And shame on greedy CEO's, too. But by not holding pols to account, we have created this playground for the 'Neutron Jack's' and the 'Chainsaw Al's of the world.

The enduring wisdom of the Founders was to create a system of checks and balances, and divided powers. That system was predicated on an informed and engaged citizenship.

Thus endeth the civics outburst!
2.gif

----------------​

Here, here!! This is exactly the problem-- the answer to which is NOT unions doing the same thing that they've always done. Although I'm sympathetic to union's motivation, the problem is MUCH BIGGER.

The current system in the airline industry of labor and capital is just an extreme symptom of a bigger disease.

Hey, guys, unless you want to change America, this is the direction we're going in. So, get used to it... and kiss your kids' middle-class, wage-earning futures good-bye.

Well, quite frankly, 'earning a wage' maybe a lost cause, anyway.... we'll see.

SpinDoc,
I believe there is a similarity regarding the pensions:

If I remember correctly during the ALPA pension hearing in Federal Court the CFO, Neal Cohen stated he didn't know the terms of their compensation (executives)packages. When in fact these contracts were signed within months of the hearing. Additionally, I do not believe it was revealed the executive retirement final average earnings were based on pre-concession wages and bonuses they never received. Doesn't it seem odd that there isn't money to fund the employee retirement accounts based on accrued earnings, yet there is money to fund the executives retirements based on phantom wages?

Latest posts