Are You Paying Cope?

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Are you paying COPE?

Many members may not realize that they are paying COPE. We had a member in our local who was paying $38.10 per month to COPE and did not even know it! He stopped all payments to COPE.

Most members give 50 cents per month. Not a lot of money.

However the TWU had expected that a lot of members would stop COPE, as I did, after this last contract. It did not happen. Most members probably do not even realize that they are paying into COPE.

Normally I would encourage COPE contributions. I gave $5. However with everything that is going on I would not encourage anyone to continue to COPE at this time.

Not only do we have this lousy contract but one of the things that they are using COPE dollars for is to stop proposals to make the LM-2 forms more detailed. One of the things that was on the Internationals LM-2 was $345,000 for automobiles. Well I can see that but I can not see who recieved those cars. Its my money, I'd like to know who got all those cars and why?

At the last COPE Convention, which I attended, this was the most pressing issue. Not the huge cuts we were about to take, not the PEBs, not ATSA that mandated concessions from employees, not the fact that the TSA could remove our ability to work without due process. The central theme, the thing that really got the top guys excited was the modified LM-2. According to them,"it would cripple unions" and make the LM-2 a 25000 page document. What information they were looking to have added was not really discussed, just that this was bad news.

I'm sure that these new LM-2s are not great for the Sonny Halls and other leaders who try to rule with an unquestioned Iron fist. Maybe they are bad news. I dont know, we were just told that they were bad. Maybe they are, but if the labor movement was not plauged with crooks like Sonny Hall then there would be no need for such laws.

One arguement that I did agree with was that businesses are not required to be so transparent. They should be put to similar standards, however we must remember that Unions are tax free institutions, so the public and union members should have more rights as far as disclosure than private companies.

I would like to know more about where the third of our dues that go to the International goes. Our COPE dollars are being used to prevent us from having access to how our money is spent. Certainly there must be a reasonable middle ground between what is proposed and what is in place now. I think that certain information that the members are better off not having revealed to the companies should remain as it is now, however anything to do with perks and compensation for top officers should be out there for us to see.

Until our union is willing to reveal how much of our dues goes towards perks for them I would urge that we hold back COPE monies. Its easy to stop, just send an E-mail to payroll. When the International agrees to behave like they work for us, you can restore contributions.

Well crap, I should have known!!! I just get more pissed off everyday!!!!!!! :angry:

IT's TIME FOR A CHANGING OF THE GUARD!!!!!!!

Making Our Voice Heard!

After contract negotiations and organizing, playing an active role in the political process is one of a union's most important functions. Gains won at the bargaining table or through sacrifice on the picketline can be wiped out by politicians on the state or federal level. Although big business and right-wing conservatives keep trying to silence the voice of working families, surveys of union members show that they want their union to be active in politics and fight for their interests in Congress and state legislatures.

This section of our site gives you the opportunity to check in on activities in the TWU Washington, D.C. office and learn more about TWU COPE. Here you can also access our Legislative Action Center, a great and effective tool for tracking legislation that affects you and a vehicle for contacting your representatives -- making your voice heard!

Read More:For the Best political power you have!

Politics are important and the shoe leather some brag about is a losing cause without the support of the International. Every dollar I donate goes to a good cause.

I agree that COPE is important, but in Sonnys hands it becomes Sonny's COPE money, not ours. It is used to buy him political influence, he is a man who can not be trusted with power. Sonny is a lamb when it comes to the companies, but a wolf when it comes to members that criticize his inept concessionary style of leadership. He only fights when its not a fair fight, He claims that he "fights for us", but really he only 'fights us'.

Sonny Hall,Gless, Yingst, Little, they all are very comfortable with management, even more so than with their members. My impression of these people is that they detest the people they represent. Sonny Hall does not even go to the Labor Day Parade in NYC! As head of one of the biggest locals in NY its a shame that he does not want to associate with his own members. Yet he will attend Dinners thrown in honor of managers who are hostile to TWU Locals. A union leader who will break bread with the enemy yet shun his own members. We often hear union reps complain about how members dont show up at meetings -on their own time- yet here is a guy that collects hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from our dues but its too much to expect him to give up one day of one weekend a year to show his support for the movement. Now you should trust him with your political dollars? Find out which politician supports the issues we favor, send him/her a check with a letter telling him/her why you sent it, if you are so inclined, tell them Peggy sent you.

Until we get Democracy, your money will be used to support Sonnys tyranny!
Dont give your money to a tyrannt!

He is using our money to prevent us from finding out what he is doing with our dues.

Instead of waiting for forced legislation, the union should volunteer how much and exactly who gets the perks that are funded with our dues.

IT'S OUR MONEY!!

All you have to do is send an E-mail to payroll to stop COPE, when the union agrees to democratic reforms you can, and should go back on and contribute.

Dont let the tyrannt use your money against you. Stop contributing to COPE until they start to listen to the members!!

I don't even pay dues! :ph34r:
Since they put me in bad standing for wearing a hat, I draw interest on their dues until I get a "15 day letter". :up:

Sign a card today!

CIO

you forgot to mention that gains and sacrifice from the workers can also be wiped out by Jim Little but enough harping on that one.

No one can dissagree that union members want their leaders to fight for them especially in the political arena and on issues that affect our livelihood and the part of our dues we send to the international should be money considered well spent. But lets get real here having to go to a web site to see what our union is doing for us or seeing a bunch of lip service on the twu miss-informer is just that (lip service)

Back in the late 80's when overseas maintenance was just in the thought process and not even in its infancy the TWU International, IAM International along with the AFLCIO should have banned together to fight this evil monster. Where were they back then when mechanics in this country needed them most. They should have had the foresight to see what was coming down the road since they had the gift of hindsite with the auto industry. Now that everyone has pretty much dissmissed them as useless their providing tons lip service on what their doing to stop it.

WELL HERES THE NEW DEAL TWU, IAM, AFLCIO

WERE TAKING MATTERS INTO OUR OWN HANDS AND ITS CALLED

AMFA, CAN YOU HERE ME NOW AAAMMMMMFFFFAAAAA

8103 Total Signed Election Authorization Cards by Station and Title Group (From system seniority list dated 02-12-2003):
Updated, Thursday September 25, 2003 at 11:48:58 PM. Our goal is to obtain 60% of the Craft and Class of
Mechanic and Related, and at this time, our estimate of that number, with 'elbow room' is approximately 10,000 cards.
Using that number, at this time, we are about 81.0% to our goal, or approximately 50.0% of our Craft and Class. Good job so far, and let's
REDOUBLE our efforts and GET THIS DONE!

Bob, the Cope goes to a seperate fund and is regulated by a seperate group. the funds do not require a lm-2 form either and is available for everyone to view.

Just because you are upset because the TWU is holding the same accountability of their officers as any other union.

Cope is a good and everyone needs to participate and hope the politicians will make the right choice.

Checking it Out said:
Bob, the Cope goes to a seperate fund and is regulated by a seperate group. the funds do not require a lm-2 form either and is available for everyone to view.

Just because you are upset because the TWU is holding the same accountability of their officers as any other union.

Cope is a good and everyone needs to participate and hope the politicians will make the right choice.
Gary;
Some day you may learn to read and follow a conversation.

COPE money is being used to fight legislation that would make unions more accountable to the members.

Members should have the right to know exactly where their dues are spent, especially when dues are mandatory.

Its pretty easy to figure out why Sonny does not want this bill to go through. Its not because "the enemies of labor" would gain critical information about how unions spend their members money-"the enemies of labor" already know all that, after all they are the ones writing the checks! It's because they do not want "the enemies of Sonny Hall" finding out what he is doing with their money.

I still say, until we get democracy within our union, withhold all COPE money. Why in the name of Democracy fund a dictator?

S.9 - 105th Congress

A BILL

To protect individuals from having their money involuntarily collected and used for politics by a corporation or labor organization.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Paycheck Protection Act'.

SEC. 2. WORKERS' POLITICAL RIGHTS.

Section 316 of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (2 U.S.C. 441b) is amended by adding the following new subsection:

`©(1) Except with the separate, prior, written, voluntary authorization of each individual, it shall be unlawful--

`(A) for any national bank or corporation described in this section to collect from or assess its stockholders or employees any dues, initiation fee, or other payment as a condition of employment if any part of such dues, fee, or payment will be used for political activities in which the national bank or corporation, as the case may be, is engaged; and

`(B) for any labor organization described in this section to collect from or assess its members or nonmembers any dues, initiation fee, or other payment if any part of such dues, fee, or payment will be used for political activities.

`(2) an authorization described in paragraph (1) shall remain in effect until revoked and may be revoked at any time.

`(3) for purposes of this subsection, the term `political activities' includes communications or other activities which involve carrying on propaganda, attempting to influence legislation, or participating or intervening in any political campaign or political party.'

Congressional Record - Tuesday July 8th, 1997 - United States Senate

ARE POLITICAL CONTRIBUTIONS VOLUNTARY?

Mr. NICKLES. Mr. President, on behalf of Mr. David Stewart and
millions of workers like him, who hold their political freedoms in this
country in the highest regard, I send the June 25, 1997 Rules Committee
testimony of Mr. David Stewart of Owasso, Oklahoma to the desk and ask
unanimous consent that it be printed in the Record.

There being no objection, the testimony was ordered to be printed in
the Record, as follows:

Testimony of David Stewart, Transport Workers Union of America-Local
514, regarding Senate Bill S. 9, the Paycheck Protection Act

My name is David Stewart, I am a member of the Transport
Workers Union of America, Local 514 located in Tulsa,
Oklahoma. I am here today to support changes in legislation
that will protect the hard earned money of myself, and my co-
workers. We are tired of funding political agendas and/or
candidates that we do not endorse or vote for. I want to
first make the point that I am not anti-union, I have
received decent wages and benefits as a result of my
membership with the T.W.U. and believe that union membership
is beneficial and would recommend that all working men and
women of the United States join in a union.

Let me submit a brief overview of my history in Organized
Labor. I became a union member (Transport Workers Union of
America) in September 1983, when I was hired as a welder at
American Airlines Inc. I was very interested in the affairs
of the union and attended all union meetings and quickly
became a Shop Steward around December 1983. As my interest
continued, I was offered Labor Study classes in the evenings
at Tulsa Junior College in 1984. I accepted and attended the
following courses: History, Organization, and Functions of
Unions, Labor and Politics, Labor Laws, and Grievance
Handling and Arbitration.

In 1985-86 I was elected Vice-President of the Northeastern
Oklahoma Labor Council. This was a very short lived position
as I am the father of three boys and the time needed to
perform these duties conflicted with my requirements as a
father and resigned this position after about eight months.
In any event, my involvement with the union continued as a
member. I continued my duties as Shop Steward and was very
involved with the Political Wing of the Union. This Political
Wing has a ``sign factory'' behind the Union Hall where
volunteers print, assemble, and distribute yard signs for
political campaigns. I spent many hours in this building
learning of political issues and candidates that the union
supported.

In 1991, I transferred to a newly created local in Fort
Worth, Texas. As I spent time away from Tulsa and the strong
political wing of the Tulsa local union, my personal

[[Page S6972]]

political views began to change toward a more conservative
position and I began to realize that I really do not agree
with some of the agendas and the candidates that the union
endorses. Yet, we are all required to fund these agendas and
campaigns just by virtue of our membership in the union. As I
searched for relief from this unjust requirement, I found out
about the ``Beck Supreme Court Decision'' which in effect
gives a union member the right to a refund of the non-
bargaining expenditures of the union. The problem is, I must
relinquish my union membership and the rights associated with
that membership to seek this refund. It is absurd to require
me to fund the contract bargaining, contract enforcement and
administration of the Local, yet require me to forfeit my
rights to a voice in these affairs, only because I oppose the
political expenditures of the union. I still attend the union
meetings and enjoy having a voice in the affairs of the union
and my career, I am not willing to give up this activity to
receive the refund afforded me by the ``Beck Decision.''

In September of 1996, I transferred back to Tulsa as a Crew
Chief. I have duties and responsibilities covering the
assignments of 20 mechanics and welders. I have attended
about six union meetings in the past eight months, I have had
no conflicts with the union that would influence my decision
to come to Washington and testify. I would like to believe
that my status as a union member of the T.W.U. will not be
affected by my testimony before this committee.

My options under current law are best described as follows:

Option A:

During the month of January, of any given year I can send a
notice of my objection to the International Secretary
Treasurer. I must first assume non-member status in my union.
I am required to renew this objection in January of each year
to object for the subsequent twelve months. As an objector, I
shall have neither a voice nor a vote in the internal affairs
of the Local Union or of the International Union; nor shall I
have a voice or a vote in the ratification of or in any
matter connected with the collective bargaining agreement,
whether or not it covers my employment. My paycheck shall
continue to have a fee equal to full union dues deducted by
my employer and transmitted to the union. The Local and the
International, place these fees in an interest bearing escrow
account. After completion of an audit, I will receive a
rebate equal to an amount ascribed by the audit to non-
chargeable activities. This rebate of course does not
include any portion of the interest applied to the escrow
account. I can at my own expense challenge the validity of
the audit. This procedure is very cumbersome and probably
cost more than the challenge would change the audit
report.

Option B:

I can continue to fund all of the non-germane and political
expenditures of my union. This option allows me to maintain
the very important voice and vote in the affairs of the Local
and International Union. More importantly, as a bonus for
funding these activities, I have a voice and a vote in the
ratification of the collective bargaining agreement. It
should be pointed out here, that I will fund the collective
bargaining process regardless of which option I choose. I
only get a voice and a vote as a reward for funding the other
non-germane expenses.

Option C:

Seek assistance from my government representatives and
attempt to get the laws changed that hold my voice and vote
hostage as a result of the Supreme Court Beck Decision of
1988. The bottom line is this, I continue to fund the non-
germane expenditures so that I can receive the reward for
voice and vote in the union business associated with the
germane.

I am currently a participant for Option B, and I appear
before this committee today to exercise Option C.

It is my understanding that Organized Labor will oppose
this legislation. I find this to be an interesting position,
because it will not outlaw expenditures, only require consent
from each member. If Labor is convinced that the membership
supports their non-germane spending, they should also be
convinced that the consent to continue, and even an increase
in this spending should be very easy to obtain. I have no
pride in the 35 Million Dollar attack on members of Congress
in the election of last fall. I was disgusted to watch the
misleading television ads attacking decent members of
Congress, and I know many of my co-workers feel the same. On
the other hand, an active campaign has begun to garner
support for changes to the Federal Aviation Regulations, a
bill to equalize regulations between domestic and foreign
Aviation Repair Stations, this is a political expenditure
that myself, and my co-workers must spend whatever it takes
to seek support, this is one issue I should not oppose
expenditures and volunteer funds for. This is where I stop
and think to myself . . . why does everything require
political funding for passage? Or, why don't we just do the
right thing for the voter anymore? However, these hearings
are not about Federal Aviation Regulation changes, Republican
vs. Democrat, Pro-Union vs. Anti-Union, Right-to-Work Laws
vs. Union Security Agreements. The issue is about allowing
a union member to object to political expenditures and
retain the right to vote on issues associated with the
germane expenditures of the union that he will fund
regardless of which option described above is exercised.

I feel privileged to sit before this committee today, as
the debate over the campaign finance becomes the focus of our
government. Very few Americans today believe that a single
voter as myself without a huge bankroll of cash to fund the
next campaign could ever reach this level of participation. I
have already, and will continue to spread the word that
indeed with persistence and knowledge of the issue, a
constituent is still welcome on the hill.

I believe very strongly that the Paycheck Protection Act
introduced by Senator Nickles is the answer to my woe as a
union member. I can object to the collection by intimidation
of my hard earned money for political views and agendas I
oppose, yet continue to have involvement and support those
affairs of my union that I have no opposition to. It is
refreshing to see that my Senator, has the insight and
courage to help the union members of this country by
authoring ``the Paycheck Protection Act'' Senate Bill No. 9.

Mr. KENNEDY. I ask unanimous consent that Tom Perez on my staff be
given floor privileges.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Without objection, it is so ordered.

CIO please dont bad mouth our future AMFA leaders like Bob Owens he is a true leader and the people i work with would rather have guys like him on the front lines than retards like you. by the way I work in Tulsa not jfk

dreese...CIO please dont bad mouth our future AMFA leaders like Bob Owens he is a true leader

and if by chance he gets elected he definately deserves you...don't move..I'll get you a towel.

Steve Connell said:
dreese...CIO please dont bad mouth our future AMFA leaders like Bob Owens he is a true leader

and if by chance he gets elected he definately deserves you...don't move..I'll get you a towel.
Steve,

When you first began posting on USAviation, you attempted for the most part, to make some sense of your position and beliefs. However, of late, your comments resemble a story book from a childhood playground. Personal attacks and senseless drivel are marked signs of a man who cannot defend what he believes.

What exactly has the TWU or the IAM done for your profession?

Do you really oppose an attempt at something new after all you have been through in the past, and apparently going to go through in the near future?

Why do you blame AMFA for your current status, when AMFA has never benn your bargaining agent?

If you are old, worn out, and tired, then fine, retire. But please sign a card and leave the fight to us for our children and grand-children.

Thomas Paine said:
8103 Total Signed Election Authorization Cards by Station and Title Group (From system seniority list dated 02-12-2003):
Updated, Thursday September 25, 2003 at 11:48:58 PM. Our goal is to obtain 60% of the Craft and Class of
Mechanic and Related, and at this time, our estimate of that number, with 'elbow room' is approximately 10,000 cards.
Using that number, at this time, we are about 81.0% to our goal, or approximately 50.0% of our Craft and Class. Good job so far, and let's
REDOUBLE our efforts and GET THIS DONE!
TWU = DMW
"DEAD MAN WALKING" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:ph34r: :shock: :ph34r:

NH/BB's