Athens Approved

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways has received approval by US DoT for starting new service from Philadelphia to Athens on board a 767. The ceritified date is effective immediately to November 2008.

US Airways plans to start this route eff 25MAY07. Configuration will be F24Y179.

DOT Ruling

US Airways has received approval by US DoT for starting new service from Philadelphia to Athens on board a 767. The ceritified date is effective immediately to November 2008.

US Airways plans to start this route eff 25MAY07. Configuration will be F24Y179.

DOT Ruling
:up: :up: That's terrific, wish it was on the 330, but still good news!

DOT Ruling
I just watched the crew news session with DP...He and Ed said that Athens would be done using an A330. Wonder which it is?

:up: :up: That's terrific, wish it was on the 330, but still good news!
It actually can be operated with the A330. The 767 info was included for the filing. A great example is the PHL-GLA service. I'm sure it didn't include services operated by a 757.

Now that being said, I have heard both the 767 and current A330 will have some operational challenges W&B, thus the rumor of acquiring Austrian's A330-200 fleet adds a little more curiosity to it.

... the rumor of acquiring Austrian's A330-200 fleet adds a little more curiosity to it.
That's a new rumor.
Makes too much sense to be true though.

Found this article from Nov 3:

"VIENNA, Austria: Austrian Airlines AG said Thursday it will eliminate its fleet of four Airbus A330 long-haul jetliners in 2007, a move the national carrier said will save it about €40 million (US$51 million) a year.
The airline's board held a special meeting Wednesday to approve the plan to phase out the A330-200s, along with both of its Airbus A340-300 aircraft..."

That's a new rumor.
Makes too much sense to be true though.

Found this article from Nov 3:

"VIENNA, Austria: Austrian Airlines AG said Thursday it will eliminate its fleet of four Airbus A330 long-haul jetliners in 2007, a move the national carrier said will save it about €40 million (US$51 million) a year.
The airline's board held a special meeting Wednesday to approve the plan to phase out the A330-200s, along with both of its Airbus A340-300 aircraft..."

That would give US Airways a total of 7 a/c overnight and the lift it needs for now. Their 340's seat 30 in business/first and the 330's have 24. I really don't see how we can afford to not be aggressive on this one. Time will tell.

• Banned
No, they are all 767-200ERs, all of them are PI orders, but three of them were taken after the merger by US after they cancelled the orders, they reordered three of them and were delivered to US.

Read the tail.

i knew they were the 767-200ER models and I had always believed they were the old Pi planes cuz i know a number oif people who worked for pi and they enjoyed seeing their 76

;) ;) Ok now, back on topic. Does anybody know what type of aircraft it will be? Can the 330 make it- weight and balance and range wise to ATH? Thanks.

Just read, on another site, that Austrian is selling 4 33's and 2 340's. This is the PERFECT opportunity for US to pickup the a/c and expand. Wouldn't it be great for US to FINALLY be proactive and think about the future. Hopefully somone in Tempe is paying attention. One can dream...can't they :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Both 767-200 and A330-300 can make it. But since they would both be weigh restricted in one way or another, which will accomodate the most revenue (i.e. cargo+pax) given those weight limitations.

Just read, on another site, that Austrian is selling 4 33's and 2 340's. This is the PERFECT opportunity for US to pickup the a/c and expand. Wouldn't it be great for US to FINALLY be proactive and think about the future. Hopefully somone in Tempe is paying attention.

This was mentioned in Friday's About Us (so yes Tempe is pay attenton) in the rumor has it section. They said "they are always looking at oppertunities". Keep in mind used AC are a commodity almost like Oil, there is a very copmetative used Aircraft market out there and they usually go to the highest bidder. US companies have not been getting many of the "Deals" lately as the Asian market is red hot. They can afford to pay more with a less competative home markets.

Back