Atlas/Polar combining operations?

Aug 19, 2002
The JFK
www.usaviation.com
[P][FONT size=1]I had read that after Atlas purchased Polar the plan was to operate the companies as distinctly separate entities.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1]I''ve noticed over the past several months however that the number of Atlas aircraft in either full Atlas livery or just the blue tail with the MC registration arriving and departing the Polar ramp has gone up signifigantly.[/FONT][FONT size=1]In fact one of the blue tail 300''s now sports ''Operated by Polar Air Cargo'' on the foward fuselage.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1]Are they combining operations due to the drop off in ACMI work at Atlas, or is Polar that busy?[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1]Or is management playing two pilot groups off each other?[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1]Just curious, as I used to work for the contractor that handled Polar when they first began operations in the early 90''s and have always tried to keep up on developments there.[/FONT][/P]

Hey JFK,

Don't know if this will answer your question but here goes... Atlas leased internally to Polar the 300's that you are seeing on the ramp at JFK. It's a lease for 6 months, but the price is way too expensive. Management at Polar would like to get rid of them and they are seeking alternate 200's. They took them on a trial basis.

Your right, the ACMI business for Atlas is not busy right now. But they have these airplanes sitting in the desert burning cash... so why not put them to work, right? But to be fair, this is driving the Atlas Pilots crazy.... and I can't blame them. It's there airplane, being flown by another pilot group. And frankly, the Polar pilots don't like it either! Management is taking advantage to them both!

I hope that answers your question.

be safe,

sky