ATSB would give US loan if US gave more ownership %

sabre

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
As was the case with America West. US airways only wants to give the government so much ownership and it seems our management would rather go chapter 7 or get additional cuts from the unions instead of giving the governemtn a better ownership %.
Anyways, most of the mechanics I know are already beaten down. I think a new contract will have very little voter turnout and would pass unless r/d is given up.

IF MANAGEMENT NEVER TOOK THAT $6 MILLION BONUS,YOU WOULD NOT HAVE SO MANY PISSED OFF EMPLOYEES.SCREW THEM !!!!

Chip, I disagree with you 100% no question. Management isn't working 24/7 to save this airline. It's all about business to them. All they have done is cut cost. Have you seen any new business plan other than to screw employees?

Chip, if you think management cares about you 1 iota then you need to search deep within yourself because you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

As far as the ATSB, it is all POLITICS and I thought you knew that. Lose your scientific numbers Chip because it isn't about that. America West found out that all they really needed to do was appease the ATSB with hard things like increased ownership in the airline.

Chip, instead of talking round about, just answer me one question with a yes or no. If we gave the government a bigger dip into our ownership will that have an effect? Yes or No Chip because then I will know where you are coming from.

love joesy

[FONT face=Times New Roman size=3]Sabre:[BR][BR]Your statement is inaccurate. The US loan guarantee application specifies gates and slots will be used as collateral, which management designed as a defensive measure. Management is working nearly 24 hours per day to try to save this airline and some employees are in denial about the airline industry double dip recession and traffic fall off that began in September. This fall off occurred at every major U.S. airline, not just US and we are not an exception.[BR][BR]If we have some employees who would rather see the airline liquidate, wouldn't it be better for them to just take their tool box and go home? This would prevent involuntary furloughs and permit those who want to work at US to stay together as a team to rebuild our airline.[BR][BR]Chip [/FONT]

[P] If we have some employees who would rather see the airline liquidate, wouldn't it be better for them to just take their tool box and go home?[/P]
[P][BR]CHIP I USUALLY FIND YOUR COMMENTS THOUGHTFUL AND SINCERE. DON'T ATTACK HARDWORKING MECHANICS WITH FLIP PHRASES WHNE YOU WELL KNOW ALL WORK GROUPS INCLUDING PILOTS HAVE CRY BABIES. DON'T LOWER YOURSELF TO THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR[/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/24/2002 8:37:44 AM chipmunn wrote:

some employees are in denial about the airline industry double dip recession
Chip
----------------
[/blockquote]

One particular employee is consistantly refusing to admit that WE, as a country, are NOT in a DOUBLE DIP RECESSION! An airline or as you've stated: the airline industry alone, Chip, cannot be in a double dip recession. It is one sector, i.e., one variable of an entire snapshot of the whole economic pie. A Double Dip Economy (Recession) is the measure of GDP (Gross Domestic Product) which is the monetary value of all the goods and services produced by an economy (as a whole) over a specified period. It includes consumption, government purchases, investments, and exports minus imports. When GDP growth slips back to negative after a quarter or two of brief positive growth. In plain English: A recession followed by a short-lived recovery, followed by another recession.

Perhaps you should take an economics course and, while you're at it, try one in logic and another in ethics, too.

IF MANAGEMENT NEVER TOOK THAT $6 MILLION BONUS,YOU WOULD NOT HAVE SO MANY PISSED OFF EMPLOYEES.SCREW THEM !!!!

Yes, that was a BIG mistake, BIIIIG mistake.

This attitude we see here Chip is NOT the minority, it is the MAJORITRY whether you choose to believe it or not.

Good luck my fellow brothers and sisters, the once great U is on the brink and there is not a damn thing we can do to change this reality. Like another wise comment made on these boards, if you can't sleep over this mess, then move on with your life, it's only a job.

Happy Holidays Regardless

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/23/2002 3:11:26 PM sabre wrote:

Anyways, most of the mechanics I know are already beaten down. I think a new contract will have very little voter turnout and would pass unless r/d is given up.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Joesy

As a mechanic let me assure you that we are not beaten-down, we are beaten-up. Crouched down in the corner, hurting, angry, and ready to spring-up and fight.

We are merely waiting for the proper fight. We are keenly aware of our precarious position in this staggering economy. Despite cheerleading from the sidelines, the economy is in much worse shape than the mechanics morale.

We are waiting for the representation vote as our next chance to strike. But if the company is stupid enough to come and ask us for more give backs, you'll see a large turnout.

We love our job, (not the management of it) and are busy trying to save this company by the only means at our disposal; working diligently, and pointing out what's broke.

Amazingly to us, people finally are at least giving lip service to the fact that we understand what's wrong with our jobs. Unfortunately until we see some gross waste fixed, we will continue to be angry and sarcastic.

Don't mistake resolve and patience for defeat. It this company goes under, it will go under with M&E at their stations doing their jobs. But if asked for our opinion, don't expect us to be polite!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/24/2002 8:37:44 AM chipmunn wrote:

Management is working nearly 24 hours per day to try to save this airline and some employees are in denial about the airline industry double dip recession and traffic fall off that began in September. This fall off occurred at every major U.S. airline, not just US and we are not an exception.

Chip [/FONT]
----------------
[/blockquote]

Chip,

If management is working so hard, what are they doing to address the revenue situation? How much cutting is enough for you? This is the valuable talent we needed to give $6 million in bonuses to keep from heading out the door? Where is the out of the box thinking? We does my department still have 4 supervisors for only twelve front line employees (and an admin rep we apparently can't live without either)?

I have taken off my rose colored glasses and in no way do I feel we are still very much a listing ship. I really think Dave is a very talented guy, even though we probably needed to find him a few years ago. I also feel big labor has as much blame to accept for our current predictment as the mismanagement going back to the days of Colodny.

That being said, I disagree with some things Dave has done, such as the management bonuses, failure to address the revenue picture (read: fare structure), among other things. I fail to see you be critical of anything they have done. Are there any independent thoughts coming from your head? I do not doubt you are an intelligent guy, but your constant support of everything management has done makes you seem like nothing more than a mind programmed apologist.

[SPAN style=COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold][FONT size=3]
[P class=MsoNormal][FONT face=Times New Roman]N628AU:[BR][BR]I do not like this situation at all, but management will do what is necessary to survive.[BR][BR]As discussed in the ALPA MEC Chairman's November 15 letter the company has a revenue shortfall and may not qualify for the loan guarantee. So what can management do?[BR][BR]Increase revenues and/or further cut costs and it appears they are doing both.[BR][BR]The company just announced today another 50 aircraft RJ deal with Mesa Airlines. With the 18 RJs Midway will provide plus the recent 20 RJ agreement with Mesa, where these jets begin flying in the US network in December, these three agreements will provide an additional 88 RJs that will provide additional mainline feed and revenue.[BR][BR]In addition, it is expected management and ALPA will work through the Freedom Air issue and reach an accord to bring on the EMB-170 and EMB-175 to the current wholly owned airlines, to further increase revenue at a faster rate than if management waits to bring on MDA. This will provide revenue faster that will permit a stronger loan guarantee application amendment to the ATSB.[BR][BR]In my opinion, in the future the three current wholly owneds will be merged into MDA with the pilot seniority list and flow through protections already agreed upon in the ALPA restructuring agreement.[BR][BR]Two additional revenue enhancements are the UA domestic alliance and the acceleration into Star, which Dave Siegel addressed at last week's Wings Luncheon in New York.[BR][BR]These revenue enhancements and the $425 to $475 million aircraft lessor cuts will help, but the company as will post bankruptcy options such as replacing the A330-300ERs with B767-300ERs, which combined with the B767-200ER would make a nice fit (for an independent company). In addition, Dave Siegel has stated that favorable leases are currently available to the company on B757-200's at favorable lease terms, presumably the former National Airline aaircraft who are powered by Rolls Roye Engines, whish is a natural fit for the company.[BR][BR]However, the company stated in an SEC filing that it wanted to cut annual costs by [/FONT][FONT face=Times New Roman][SPAN style=COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold]nearly $100-$300 million more a year than previous estimates - bringing cuts up to $1.6 billion annually - to achieve profitability.[BR][/SPAN][BR]Therefore, per the ALPA MEC Chairman, the Company has said publicly that if it doesn’t meet those conditions, it stands the risk of losing the loan (guarantee), [/FONT][SPAN style=COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold][FONT face=Times New Roman]and has made a formal request to all US Airways labor groups in an attempt to again reduce costs.[BR][BR]In my opinion, management has a huge hammer with the potential threat of canceling the defined benefit pension plan, which will save the airline an estimated $500 million per year. [/FONT][/SPAN][SPAN style=COLOR: #0b3053; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold][FONT face=Times New Roman]Therefore, once again is it better for the unions and management to reach voluntary concession accords before the US Airways board meeting the first week of December, to be included in the final Plan of Reorganization (POR) due to the court on December 9, or risk having the pension plans terminated?[BR][/FONT][/SPAN][SPAN style=COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold][BR][FONT face=Times New Roman]Either way, I now believe US Airways will emerge from bankruptcy, qualify for the loan guarantee and further DIP financing, and will be a strong short, medium, and long-term player.[BR][BR]Chip[/FONT][/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/P]

Why would Dave go out and more 757s if 615 and 616 are parked in the desert and 609 sits in front of the CLT hangar as a glider with no engines and 618 the next 757 to be parked in MHV?[BR][BR]You will not see this airline get more planes and grow for years to come, they plan on keeping what they have and tweak it here and there and maybe figure out the widebody mix.[BR][BR]And painting of the last remaining 737s proves their intentions to keep them and also they A330 will be kept, US is bringing them in early to accomplish the cockpit door mod, the first class removal and their C checks. If their real intention was to get rid of the A330, they would not pour money into them unnesscarily.