Baggage Embargo

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Baggage Embargo

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - US Airways has placed an embargo on excess, overweight and oversized baggage for travel from the United States to Guatemala City, Kingston, Mexico City, Panama City, San Salvador and Santo Domingo during the following dates: March 23-30, and June 20-Sept. 1.

Also, a checked baggage embargo is in place for non-revenue customers traveling to the same cities during the specified time frames. Employees, eligible term-pass family members, registered guests and companions traveling on a non-revenue basis will be able to travel with one carry-on plus a personal item only. No checked baggage will be accepted.

This measure was implemented to ensure customers traveling to these popular destinations have the opportunity to fly with their checked luggage, given maximum baggage allowance requirements, and also to best manage internal cargo and baggage transport to destinations where cargo demands are historically high.

During these peak travel periods, revenue customers are allowed two checked bags, one carry-on and one personal item only. Excess, overweight and oversize luggage will not be accepted. Additionally, US Airways will not accept as checked luggage any boxes of any kind during these embargoes. Star Gold customers may continue to enjoy their enhanced baggage privileges during the embargo periods.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Does the PR Department write these things for you, or do you come up with all the adjectives yourself?

hp_fa said:
Does the PR Department write these things for you, or do you come up with all the adjectives yourself?
[post="258294"][/post]​

Cut and pasted from theHub....

Jim

If you ever saw the size of the bags that people check you would not believe it going to Central and South America. I was in IAD for the Metrojet fiasco and the bags that were on the MIA flight at night was unbelieveable. You could only get 50-60 bags in the front bin of a 737-200. There bags were loaded with crap that they would sell when they got there. The only thing I can say is that the whole thing is a joke. Heard from someone that FLL had to charter a A/C at the cost of $100,000.00 to run bags to one of our Central American cities. I would love to know if that is true.

Deleted by me due to a duh moment.

Keep moving folks, nothing to see here.

This will drive the local "homebound" O&D folk right back to MIA and onto AA. If you are going to fly to the islands and central america, the oversized baggage stuffs is going to either be SOP or you will have a bunch of "first and only" time customers. It is what it is.

ClueByFour said:
This will drive the local "homebound" O&D folk right back to MIA and onto AA.  If you are going to fly to the islands and central america, the oversized baggage stuffs is going to either be SOP or you will have a bunch of "first and only" time customers.  It is what it is.
[post="258311"][/post]​

Then they're going to be out of luck on AA as well.

The airlines transport baggage needed to carry clothes and essential items for travel, not to move the house or supply the country with foodstuffs. Even domestic bags are taking on a life of their own. I have had so many bags this past week over 50 pounds that I wish we were offering a bonus like the Firstup promotion. I could make this months house payment on the charges I've collected. You'd be surprised as well at how many people, when offered a free box and tape, wont repack and just pay the $25. ;)

The info below is directly from the AA website. Now who are they gonna fly?

Summer Box / Bag Embargo Information

Due to heavy summer traffic, American Airlines and American Eagle will adopt embargoes on checked baggage and boxes from June 12, 2004 through August 15, 2004.

For the embargoed destinations identified below, boxes* and excess, overweight, or oversized pieces will be not be accepted for transportation.

Passengers will be allowed to check a maximum of two pieces and they must be within the size and weight limits as follows:
1st piece - up to 62 linear inches and 70 lbs.
2nd piece - up to 62 linear inches and 70 lbs.
Carry-on items may only be up to 45 linear inches and 40 lbs.

American Airlines Embargoed Destinations

Caribbean
Kingston, Jamaica
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Port Au Prince, Haiti
Port Of Spain, Trinidad
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Santiago, Dominican Republic
South America
Bogota, Colombia
Cali, Colombia
Caracas, Venezuela
La Paz, Bolivia
Maracaibo, Venezuela
Medellin, Colombia
Quito, Ecuador
Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Central America
Managua, Nicaragua
Panama City, Panama
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
San Salvador, El Salvador
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Leon, Mexico

American Eagle Embargoed Destinations

All American Eagle flights to and from San Juan are embargoed, as are American Eagle flights to Guadalajara and Leon in Mexico. The existing, more restrictive baggage allowance for American Eagle Flights to Grenada and Dominica still apply and are not replaced by the guidelines shown above.

*A "box" will be defined as a six-sided container of any size, constructed of cardboard, wood, plastic or metal, which is either square, rectangular or cylindrically shaped and is not normally used for the transportation of items associated with air travel. Plastic tubs/containers and/or coolers are considered to be boxes.

Passenger baggage weight limits are to large. I gained a lot of respect for CSA and FSA's when I worked in PHL doing baggage sorting during the New Years holiday from the TSA bomb detection equipment to the carts. Lifting baggage that coudl wya up to 70 pounds takes a lot of work. Moreover, the excessive weight limit causes employee injury and is very heavy to load, over-and-over again.

Passengers need to transport clothing and personal itmes for their trip -- anthing else should be cargo with an appropriate charge.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Passenger baggage weight limits are to large. I gained a lot of respect for CSA and FSA's when I worked in PHL doing baggage sorting during the New Years holidy from the TSA bomb detection equipment to the carts. Lifting baggage that coudl wya up to 70 pounds takes a lot of work. Moreover, the excessive weight limit causes employee injury and is very heavy to load, over-and-over again.

Passengers need to transport clothing and personal itmes for their trip -- anthing else should be cargo with an appropriate charge.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="258424"][/post]​
Why embargo the Panama City or San Salvador flights..there should be plenty of room....right. The company said they are canning those cities from FLL.

USA320Pilot said:
I gained a lot of respect for CSA and FSA's when I worked in PHL doing baggage sorting during the New Years holidy from the TSA bomb detection equipment to the carts. Lifting baggage that coudl wya up to 70 pounds takes a lot of work. Moreover, the excessive weight limit causes employee injury and is very heavy to load, over-and-over again.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="258424"][/post]​

Oh man. Are you gonna get it now. :shock:

EyeInTheSky said:
Oh man. Are you gonna get it now. :shock:
[post="258433"][/post]​

Don't hold your breath. If memory serves he still was all in favor of the manual labor giving back a lot of money even after exerting himself.