A-a Bag Limits

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
American Airlines to Limit Baggage and Boxes During the Holiday Season To Select Latin American and Caribbean Destinations

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 25 -- In anticipation of increased holiday travel to and from certain cities in Latin America, Mexico and the Caribbean, American Airlines and American Eagle, remind passengers that they will implement a policy limiting the size and number of checked bags and prohibiting checked boxes.

"American and American Eagle's intent is to provide the best customer service possible and to consider the needs of all passengers," said Peter Dolara, senior vice president- Miami, the Caribbean and Latin America. "There are limits on the amount of baggage that can be carried, both in the cabin and cargo areas, based on the size of the aircraft. This year the list of the impacted cities has been narrowed and the embargo period significantly shortened."

The limits will be in effect between Dec. 10, 2003, and Jan. 9, 2004. During this period, American will not accept boxes, and baggage will be limited to two checked items and one carry-on. The baggage and box embargo applies to: Cali, Colombia; Caracas and Maracaibo, Venezuela; La Paz and Santa Cruz, Bolivia; Lima, Peru; and Quito, Ecuador, in South America; Managua, Nicaragua; Guatemala City, Guatemala; Panama City, Panama; San Salvador, El Salvador; San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa, Honduras, in Central America; Kingston, Jamaica; Port-au-Prince, Haiti, and Port of Spain, Trinidad in the Caribbean. All American Eagle flights to and from San Juan, Puerto Rico, are also included.

For passengers traveling to Leon and Guadalajara, Mexico, the bag and box limits are in effect Nov. 15, 2003, through Jan. 9, 2004. Additionally, boxes will not be accepted to Mexico City during this period.

Effective Nov. 22, 2003, through Jan. 9, 2004, American Eagle passengers flying from Fort Lauderdale, Orlando or Miami to Nassau, Bahamas, will also be limited to two checked bags and one carry-on.

There is a year-round box embargo for passengers traveling from or through New York's Kennedy Airport to all Caribbean and Latin American destinations.

Excess, oversize, and overweight baggage will not be accepted for flights to the destinations covered by the bag embargo. Passengers will be limited to a maximum of two checked bags, with each not exceeding 62 linear inches (computed by adding the length, width and height of the bag) and 70 pounds. One carry-on bag will be allowed with a maximum size of 45 linear inches and a maximum weight of 40 pounds. Sports equipment, such as golf bags, bikes and surfboards, can be accepted as part of the total checked-bag allowance, although additional charges may apply.

I'm trying to stop laughing, long enough to type this.

Stop the "caribean SAMSONITES", you say ????????

First, there will be massives delays(Except when "some" pilots pop the brakes, and then physically hold them down, to show a PHONEY OT departure)

Second, will be chaos, at the ticket counter, the likes that has NEVER been seen.

Third, and finally, there will most likely be RIOTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the funniest thing I've heard, since HDQ professed that we're all valuable members of the AA "FAMILY" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

NH/BB's

Ps,

If AA had started to advise our customers, (who travel to our latin destinations), say right after labor day, instead of pulling this"rabbit out of their hat", at the 11th hour, then I'd take these idiots a little more serious.

The bag limit brings back a memory. Years ago, I worked as a Customer Service Agent for UAL at BAL (now BWI). UAL had a two bag limit that no one paid any attention to. One morning I showed up for the early shift and there was a woman waiting to check in with three large Skycap carts fully loaded with luggage. I felt there was a limit. She ended up paying about three times the cost of her ticket in Excess Baggage charges.