Sizer Boxes

Squonk

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
Visit site
I have idea that may help remedy the problem of checking carry-on bags at the gate. First and foremost, we need the sizer-box back. Contrary to popular corporate thinking, it does not send the wrong message to our customers. We need a simple and effective tool to regulate the size of carry on items. Tape measures stuck on ticket counters and gate podiums is cheesy, time consuming and subject to interpretation. Sizer-boxes strategically placed at the ticket counters, before security and at the gates, is a very effective method to quickly see if the item meets our size limitations. It works for American Airlines and others, why not US Airways? Think of the revenue that would be generated and they would pay for themselves very quickly. This would eliminate the process of checking enormous numbers of carry-on baggage at the gate before departures. This causes delays and makes us look like a Low Class Carrier.

Another way to get passengers to check more bags would be to have them prepay when they check in online. Offer an incentive such as $15.00 for each of the first two bags. That way when they check in at the airport, the transaction would already have been completed. The idea of saving a buck during these difficult economic times might just be appealing to our customers, and we might just check more bags resulting in fewer carry-on bags and increase revenues!

The new a la carte baggage fee system has merit and has caught on with every carrier except you know who, but the fallout was not calculated very well. As Dave said, it is a "work in progress" however it needs fixing as soon as possible.

B)

Hey, we are still------------------------------------>

Another thing that is working at AA...

If we have to check your carryon at the gate because the bins are full, no charge. If we have to check your carryon at the gate because you have too many bags or your bag is too large, there is a charge which must be paid--$15/bag, IIRC.

Way to go...great customer service...not.

In this day and age when people are cutting back on expenses it's nice to know that your '22-inch roller board will get the heave-ho all in the name of collecting $15 clams. Sodas didn't work... now carry ons for profit.

Disgusting.

Later,
Eye

I believe it was Tom Lagow (SVP-Marketing...I may have that title wrong) who referred to the old US sizer boxes as "garbage cans." They were enclosed on all four sides, unlike other airlines, and people just threw their trash in them. Another poorly thought-out idea. This time by CCY.

Why does it always have to be about size?
:ph34r:
back when stephen wolf stepped in as ceo he got rid of the sizer boxes because the wanted US to become a upscale airline so they were removed he felt that sizer boxes were not part of that . during his tenure US was awarded best Envoy class transatlantic and renamed inflight magazine we had won many awards for publications. but those days are way gone and the sizer boxes do now fit a LCC product. you put the bag in the sizer box hey it doesnt fit end of story non of the tape measure and measuering bags now we get.. hey my pants need a alteration due you have a business card... pretty embarassing.. folks throwing their trash in them then lock them up behind th podium.. problem solved.. the sizer box i meant not the passenger you lock up behind the podium... BRING back the SIZER BOXES...

I have always thought that the TSA should have sizer boxes. That way if it doesn't fit in the sizer box then it doesn't go through the x-ray. But they won't do it, they rather we have fights with pax at the gate and on board when time is critical.

Sizer boxes would help immensely, but they have to be realistic. The ones we've had in the past (and the ones provided by the airport that we currently have) are too small. If you want them to work, they need to be carryon size plus 1 inch so people know that it is the size allowed and not some scaled down version where we're trying to get more $ out of them. These ARE the size allowed on the plane. End of story. No fighting or haggling involved. Also, this way Tempe would know when they get a bad letter that if the customer said the agent made them put it in the box and it didnt fit, that it truely didnt fit our carryon requirements and not that the agent was having a bad day and "chose me to check my bag that fit on every other flight I've ever taken"... :ph34r: We have several at the airport (Westjet and BA) that are metal shells so there is no "box" involved to collect garbage.
If we're really trying to be customer friendly, I dont see how having a sizer box for the customers to SEE that their bag is too big instead of having an agent try to convince them and get into an arguement by doing their job is not customer friendly. Its a rule that needs to be enforced, and if you're enforcing it by using the sizer box, it would make things a lot more friendly by not having confrontations with customers. Just because the bag FIT on the last flight does not mean that it is a legal size to fit. If it doesnt fit in the box, it is not a legal size to travel on US. Period.

I have always thought that the TSA should have sizer boxes. That way if it doesn't fit in the sizer box then it doesn't go through the x-ray. But they won't do it, they rather we have fights with pax at the gate and on board when time is critical.

The TSA chooses not to be involved because it is not their issue and because OH bin sizes are not standard from one airline to the next. AA has expanded O/H bins, WN does not, etc. Besides, it is an FAA issue.

We have to do something because the FAA is cracking down on the airlines. The FAR simply says that each airline must develop a carryon bag policy then enforce it. None of us from ticket agents, to gate agents, to f/as has wanted to be the bad guy; so, the rules did not get enforced. Certainly, not in a consistent manner. One station allows the bag, the next station does not. This is causing complaints to the FAA. Their solution is to insist that we each enforce whatever policy we develop.

I agree with tadjr, though. The sizers have to be realistic and standard across the system. But, once they are sized for the airline's OH bins, then strict enforcement. "I understand that it fit on the way to your vacation. But, that was before you bought something in every gift shop in the Caribbean, ma'am."

I still say that the easiest solution would be to have an airline employee at the entrance to the security maze who stops people with oversized/too many bags before they go through security. Or, have an array of airline sizers (attended, of course) outside the maze. If it doesn't fit your airline's sizer, you check it then and there.

Oh, and stop this foolishness that a backpack big enough to contain a 6-man tent and a campstove with a bunch of smaller auxiliary bags attached to it is a "small personal item." :lol:

Sizer boxes are STILL at the airport. No one chooses to use them. In fact, there is one right at the shuttle entrance at LGA. I have also seen them in CLT and LGA. They are hiding in plain sight. Some think they may be too small, but I thought it measured out to a "standard" 22. Or you can have what (I think) either AA or UA uses, a plastic frame showing height measures with the foot being the width. So simple and not that expensive to make. Shoot, you can make plastic laminate and affix it to the side of the counter where the agent checks the tix at boarding. "Fits the frame? good to go." doesn't? doesn't even down the jet bridge.

I have not seen one agent with a tape measure, or if they have one they are doing fuzzy math because oversize bags are STILL getting on the A/C as well as TWO FULLSIZE and three bags. :down:

In addition, there was mention that gate checked bags will be subject to fees, that hasn't been implemented.

Someone I know had what I thought was a brilliant idea. 1st checked bag is free (subject to weight limitations of course) CARRY-ONS GET CHARGED. So folks would only bring their little second carry-on. You bring a roller-board or anything over the size previously set is $$$ ... People just need to learn to pack better. I can (and have) lived out of my 22' for a month. :blink:

I can (and have) lived out of my 22' for a month. :blink:

I think anyone could live out of a 22' (foot) for a month. :shock: :ph34r:
Sorry, couldnt resist.
I do agree though people just need to learn how to pack. When people have overweight bags and they open them up and start repacking in the queue, you wouldnt believe some of the "stuff" they have in there.
Also, an Allegiant agent told us that they check bags at the counter for $15, but if the bag gets to the gate and its TOO BIG, they charge $25. If its a regular size carry on and they just run out of room, no charge, but those bags that make it to the gate to be carried on that are not regulation size get the extra charge.
This whole bag thing is a problem because its been piece mealed together and no one wants to just take a look at it from A to Z and come up with 1 simplified plan of how to get bags checked at the counter and not have loop holes that are easy to spot, hence the problem now transfered to the gate. I personally like sizer boxes with a sign that states bags bigger than this that have to be checked at the gate will incur another surcharge in addition to the regular bag check fee. Have them visible and easy to use. At the curbside, counter queue line, in front of the kiosk signs, at the security checkpoint (or shuttle to security depending on the airport). Enough around so customers dont have to hunt for them. If the customer ignores it or doesnt think the rules apply to them, then they will just end up paying for trying to circumvent the rules. Simple and easy to enforce.
And no, the agents have not been issued a tape measure. We have one for the entire counter. Do you know how much time it takes to find it and measure out the bag? Sizer boxes! Put your bag in there and if it fits you're ok, if not come back and see me and we'll check it.

Or we could do something DARING and be different from the other big six carriers and bring back the first 2 checked bags are free and win back some customers, just like Southwest does.

Now that would be a nice breath of fresh air!

Dougie might be willing to give up a million bucks on drinks for the year, but a couple hundred million on bags isnt going to happen until someone else blinks first.
If we are going to be a true a-la-carte airline, then they need to offer choices (ie- fares) that truely offer a choice for the customer as to what they want to pay for or not. We shouldnt just offer all these different fares with no differentiation in service. The Air Canada model would be a perfect way for us to offer service and value, if the customer wants to pay for it. Otherwise, they can opt for the cheap fare and pay for the services they need. If we were to bundle some things together and pay for them up front, it would help seem like we werent nickel and diming people unless thats what they want to pay for. We have an inventory department (who doesnt appear to be working on the aus... :p ) so they should be able to control whats out there for people to choose from. I'm sure some of the business people would be thrilled to pay for a slightly more expensive fare from work and then not have to whip out the card again at the counter to pay for a bag or to pay an exhorbitant amount to change the date of their ticket. Give them the choice right from the start instead of treating everyone the same no matter what they paid.

Dougie might be willing to give up a million bucks on drinks for the year, but a couple hundred million on bags isnt going to happen until someone else blinks first.

Well hopefully this time around they wont spend a millon bucks on sizer boxes like they did last time if they decide to bring them back! The sizer boxes last time were over $800.00 a piece! Yes thats right, over $800.00 a piece! At LGA they had 25 of them so that was over$20,000 for just one key station! Dont even think about bringing the rest out of storage as they all have the original USAir branding on them. Compressed wood with a metal frame all for $800.00 bucks each!

Latest posts