Baggage Problem In Philadephia

planeirish

Aug 8, 2004
Spoke with a friend who flew Philadelphia to Fort Myers yesterday and arrived about 9 am and his bags did not get there with him. He was told at 7pm last night that many bags had not gotten to Fort Myers, even on other direct flights.

He was to play in a charity golf outing today and has no golf clubs. He was told that the baggage system is Philadelphia is broke again. Is there not a back up plan when "the system", human or mechanical fails?

Does anyone in senior management at usairways care about what appears to be a continious baggage problem in Philadelphia? With all the heat that usairways took at Christmas it seems that someone would be on top of this.

Well the company in the last bankruptcy gave up the maintenance on the baggage system, the City of Philadelphia is now in charge, and funny how the brother of the Mayor got the contract but has no experience in the area.

Mgt should volunteer to give up one day of pay and buy 1,000 wheelbarrows with it.

Then the pilots could offer to work free on three days per month to lug bags around the airport!

planeirish said:
Spoke with a friend who flew Philadelphia to Fort Myers yesterday and arrived about 9 am and his bags did not get there with him. He was told at 7pm last night that many bags had not gotten to Fort Myers, even on other direct flights.

He was to play in a charity golf outing today and has no golf clubs. He was told that the baggage system is Philadelphia is broke again. Is there not a back up plan when "the system", human or mechanical fails?

Does anyone in senior management at usairways care about what appears to be a continious baggage problem in Philadelphia? With all the heat that usairways took at Christmas it seems that someone would be on top of this.
[post="247165"][/post]​

Al Crellin saves us more money and all you do is complain!

:jerry: PHL needs you again! ats2495_hail.gif

Stick a fork in it and put us out of our misery........ It is really bad when the customer starts off the conversation with, " Well, you and I both know how PHL is but I didn't have a choice on my connection. And my bag is lost again for the 8th time this year......"

I am sorry to say this but I never check bags through PHL. When I check in with an agent (I refuse to use kiosk on principle), they ask if I have bags to check, and I reply "I'm going through PHL I know better".

It always seems to get a laugh--they know I am only partially kidding.

It is time to do something about PHL though.....

My best to you all...

Maybe I misread it, but I didn't know that the PHL baggage system could handle golf clubs. I know the PIT baggage system can't, and that agents physically move such oversize items by truck to the airside terminal.

Sounds like something other than a baggage system problem. Maybe a baggage agent problem.

People need to realize that when you have record high load factors with antiquated baggage systems that break down a lot and have a lot less baggage handlers coupled with the fact that TSA sometimes holds the bags till 5 minutes before departure, these events will occur. This happens a lot where I work.

Does Mail (us postal) travel on this same "in"famous baggage system? since both U and AMR just had their US POSTAL mail contracts suspended would this help the stress on the system as far as capacity goes?

NEW YORK -- The U.S. Postal Service suspended its contract for domestic mail delivery with US Airways Group Inc. (UAIRQ) and AMR Corp.'s (AMR) American Airlines because the carriers weren't hitting delivery deadlines.

Story

I read it in the online version of the paper about the contract being awarded.

I heard about the mayor awarding his brother the contract on NPR late last year. Apparently the mayor's office was discovered as having been wired secretly by the FBI. The FBI would not say that the mayor was under investigation.

This article is found on CNN on google but you have to hit the "cached" button as for some reason it's been pulled from the CNN site. That's really odd, because I can pull really old news stories from there.

"Mayor John F. Street said FBI agents confiscated his BlackBerry handheld computer shortly after police discovered hidden listening devices in his City Hall offices earlier this week.

The revelation Thursday came as the Democrat tried to get his re-election campaign back on track two days after the bugs were found, insisting that he has done nothing wrong and has been assured by prosecutors that he is not the target of a federal probe."

Latest posts