Baggage when booking through other carrier

KG_II

May 7, 2018
Created an account here to ask a question since FT is too busy playing post police

I booked a flight through UA with my MP card. My flight though is with Swiss air. I am trying to figure out if I still have to pay for a checked bag or if I get my free checked back. I have the open on swiss.com to purchase a checked bag but it won't let me complete the process as I've booked with UA. On my itinerary with UA it says my charge for my first bag is $0.

do I have to pay SA for my checked bag or no?

also am I able to x-post this post to SA forum? FT doesn't like people looking for answers.

The baggage fee/no fee structure from one airline to the next is so Byzantine, it would be hard, if not impossible, for anyone to give you a definitive answer. The best you can do is when you check-in show the Swiss Air ticket agent the place on your reservation that says you get one bag checked free However, be sure you have your credit card ready to pay the bag fee in case the agent says "that may be true on United, but not on Swiss Air." You have no leverage here other than to not take the flight. Swiss Air won't care one way or the other. Then you are forced to try to get a refund from United. Is the bag fee expensive enough to justify bringing down that much hassle on your head?

As far as posting the same inquiry to Swiss Air's forum...if doing a cut and paste of your 6 line post above is too much effort, you may not be well enough to travel. If you mean Swiss Air's forum on airlineforums.com, there ain't no such animal. There is a thread for postings about Foreign Airlines, but not individual threads for foreign airlines.

Last edited:
I just wanted to check about cross posting because FlyerTalk threw a fit because I posted in foreign airlines and United

I called United concierge and they told me exactly what it lists on my itinerary on United’s website that my first bag is $0. We’ll see I guess ‍♂️

If you are a frequent flyer on United, that may very well be the case. However, those kinds of perks--free baggage check, free cocktail in coach, etc.--don't translate to other airlines usually unless both airlines are members of the same alliance. If they are they tend to honor perks such as free baggage check. Like I said, make sure you have your credit card handy. If Swiss Air is a member of the Star Alliance and the agent does not honor the free bag check, pay the fee then file a complaint with both United and Swiss Air asking for a refund. If they are both Star Alliance airlines, you should get a refund.