Ua Skycaps To Charge For Bags

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
I understand they are already doing this in BOS and the guys in TPA will be doing it in March. My question is, why would someone pay $2 per bag to check in outside with a skycap when the counter is only 20 feet away and you can do it for free there? If you have a bag or two and tip well anyway, it doesnt matter, but a family of 4 with 8 bags is going to get charged $16 to check in curbside.
I have heard the breakdown on money is $1 to UA, $1 to skycap COMPANY and the skycap gets anything left over as a tip. Listening to some of them now without having a per bag charge, they often get stiffed on tips. I dont see how they are going to make money this way. The skycap company pays them $2.13/hr plus tips.
Thoughts on this?

tadjr said:
I understand they are already doing this in BOS and the guys in TPA will be doing it in March. My question is, why would someone pay $2 per bag to check in outside with a skycap when the counter is only 20 feet away and you can do it for free there? If you have a bag or two and tip well anyway, it doesnt matter, but a family of 4 with 8 bags is going to get charged $16 to check in curbside.
I have heard the breakdown on money is $1 to UA, $1 to skycap COMPANY and the skycap gets anything left over as a tip. Listening to some of them now without having a per bag charge, they often get stiffed on tips. I dont see how they are going to make money this way. The skycap company pays them $2.13/hr plus tips.
Thoughts on this?
[post="249614"][/post]​

If people think the service is worth two dollars, then they will pay it. Let the market decide.

There will always be someone that will pay. I don't even know why someone will use them. On Sunday in LAS there was a longer line outside than inside.