As you know, you have already reached Chairman''s Preferred status, so you will
have our highest level of status, through February 2004. The fact that you were
able to achieve Chairman''s Preferred so quickly underscores how important you
are to us.
As an additional thank you, we want you to know that all the additional
Preferred Miles or Preferred Segments you earn in 2002 above 100,000 miles or
100 segments will count towards your 2004 Chairman''s Preferred status. That
will make all the additional flights on US Airways, US Airways Express or US
Airways Shuttle this year count towards qualifying next year.
All you have to do is fly. Your Dividend Miles account will be credited with
the extra Preferred Miles and Segments by March 15, 2003.
Let me also take this opportunity to remind you that you can start earning Dividend Miles worldwide on United and United Express beginning this Friday,
November 1, 2002. US Airways Club members can already enjoy United Red Carpet
Clubs worldwide when you fly on United the same day. Beginning January 1, 2003,
your travel on United will count towards your 2004 Preferred status and you can
start earning your Chairman''s Preferred 100% mileage bonus. These benefits are
the first of many to come as part of US Airways new marketing relationship
United.
We recognize that flying as often as you do takes you away from home more than
you would prefer. We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next flight.
Thank you again for your extraordinary loyalty.
Sincerely,
B. Ben Baldanza
Senior Vice President,
Marketing and Planning

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/29/2002 1:43:16 PM Art at ISP wrote:

I received this letter also via email. I salute the move, but the messenger should not have been Ben, considering that we know how he really feels.

Am I wrong?
----------------
[/blockquote]

As the person ostensibly responsible for the recent spate of the customer is the enemy tactics there is no better person, other than his replacement, to start turning things around.

We know how he really feels so he shouldn't be expecting an easy time of it.

We recognize that flying as often as you do takes you away from home more than you would prefer.

Would it have been so bad to have inserted, but we hope we make you feel at home on US Airways?! Ben, you're re-affirming our best customers' second thoughts that they shouldn't fly so often and should stay at home!

But, actually, it's not Ben who's the poor marketer. Ben actually gets it on a high-level, but doesn't have good people under him executing the big thoughts. It's Stephen Usery who couldn't recognize a revenue opportunity or a solid, in-touch-with-the-customers marketing plan, even if it finally made its way to him in COMAT. What is Stephen Usery other than a figurehead who gets briefed by multiple Directors? From what I understand, he barely lives in CCY. It should be a requirement that senior management live where they work and fly once in a while like the regular pax do instead of POS-F to their other homes (on OA, I might add). Then they might see what the employees who stay late and/or work on the weekends, as well as what the pax, have to go through and might get some ideas on how to address these problems.

It's been nice seeing Shuttle ads on the Metro, but they just aren't eye-catching enough. They look like enlarged ticket jackets. I know there are corporate style standards and some marketing manager might argue for a consistent image, but it's the most boring ad I've ever seen on the Metro. Even the you might have a disease public service ads on the Metro are cheerier and more inspiring than our new as many hours as in your day planner Shuttle ad.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/29/2002 1:43:16 PM Art at ISP wrote:
I received this letter also via email. I salute the move, but the messenger should not have been Ben, considering that we know how he really feels.

Am I wrong?
----------------
[/blockquote]

You are not wrong, Ben is the enemy.

In retrospect, I'm sure Ben wishes he could take those comments back. I continue to believe the management of this company is out of touch with the employees and the customer base. They coudn't say and do the things they do if they weren't operating in a vacuuum. Do they ever fly the line? Just watching and listening would give them a better picture. I got the CP letter. Thanks, but so what? My travel pattern is New York area to Florida and Seattle, which are two of the targets of the cutbacks in service. Status is useless if you can't get there. Walking away from top tier, and an airline I have enjoyed doing business with for so many years, was not easy. I can't be the only one.