Bankruptcy's Siren Song

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
World News & Analysis
US Airways, Delta Will Consider Chapter 11 If Their Transformation Plans Come Up Short
Aviation Week & Space Technology
05/17/2004, page 24

David Bond
Washington

US Airways (again) and Delta will consider Chapter 11 if their transformation/reassessment plans come up short

BANKRUPTCY'S SIREN SONG

At a time when optimists once believed the big U.S. network airlines would be edging back toward profitability, the carriers are making plain in this spring's Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings that they still are wandering in the financial wilderness.

US Airways and Delta Air Lines explicitly raise the possibility that they will need to restructure under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection--a second stint in court-supervised reorganization for the former and a first for the latter. Approaching a year and a half in Chapter 11, United Airlines still faces multiple uncertainties about when and exactly how it will get out.

Northwest Airlines and Continental Airlines, further back from bankruptcy's brink, continue to husband cash and seek cost reductions. American Airlines, which cut its costs substantially in 2003 after threatening an imminent Chapter 11 filing, is working on further improvements. The experience of American, US Airways and United suggests that the only way to win labor concessions is to enter Chapter 11 or get too close to it for comfort.

None of the carriers is making money. The first quarter of any year typically is an airline's worst, so red ink during the three months that ended Mar. 31 came as no surprise. But prospects for the second quarter, which usually is the best or second-best, aren't good. Fares remain under pressure, so it will take growth in load factors--even as carriers increase capacity--to boost unit revenue. And for most of the airlines, higher fuel costs will soak up much if not all of their other gains.

The Air Transport Assn. projects an industry-wide loss of $2-3 billion for 2004, which equals the association's rough estimate of how much more the carriers will pay for fuel this year than they did in 2003. And for years after aviation turns the corner, it will have to climb back down a $100 billion-plus mountain of debt, much of it run up to provide the cash it needed to survive since 2001.

Among the six network giants, US Airways faces danger from the most directions. Southwest Airlines' entry into US Airways' main hub, Philadelphia, promises a drawn-out loss of yields and market share on what have been some of its most profitable routes. A credit rating downgrade by Standard & Poor's leaves General Electric Capital Services free to drop its agreement to finance the carrier's purchase of regional jets (AW&ST May 10, p. 18). (Standard & Poor's, like Aviation Week & Space Technology, is a unit of The McGraw-Hill Companies.) A $250-million prepayment on the $1-billion loan by which it exited Chapter 11 in March 2003 won relaxed loan covenants from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB), the federal agency that guaranteed 90% of the loan (AW&ST Mar. 22, p. 40), but that was a reprieve, not a pardon.

ALL THIS GAVE rise to a US Airways "transformation" strategy aimed at reducing its unit costs from the highest among the network airlines to the lowest, reaching levels of Southwest and other low-cost competitors. The airline plans to reduce fares and deemphasize hub operations, which would increase aircraft utilization and operating efficiency. It seeks further concessions from its employees, and it wants to begin the new wave of cost-cutting by summer. It's trying to negotiate more favorable costs at Pittsburgh, including a $500-million reduction in airport debt obligations, and it's threatening to pull down its hub operations and employment levels there if state and local officials don't come through.

"While the company's preference is to complete its transformation on a consensual basis," US Airways told the SEC May 7, "failure [to attain low costs] will force the company to reexamine its strategic options, including but not limited to asset sales or a judicial restructuring." The potential of selling assets, including the northeastern U.S. shuttle, has been in play since winter. One of the ATSB concessions in March allows US Airways to retain 25% of asset sales up to a limit of $125 million, provided that the sale closes by Feb. 28, 2005.

At Delta, a bankruptcy filing has been an unspoken possibility throughout lengthy, and so far unsuccessful, attempts to negotiate pay and efficiency concessions with the carrier's only unionized group, its pilots. Unfavorable developments in the first quarter led the carrier to face bankruptcy head-on. "If we cannot achieve a competitive cost structure, regain sustained profitability and access the capital markets on acceptable terms, we will need to pursue alternative courses of action intended to make us viable for the long term, including the possibility of seeking to restructure our costs under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code," Delta said in a May 10 SEC filing.

DELTA'S EQUIVALENT of US Airways' transformation initiative is what it terms a "strategic reassessment of our operating and business strategy," begun late last year. Originally targeted for completion by June, the analysis currently is slated to go before a "late-summer" meeting of Delta's board. It has been broadened to include a review of the appropriate goal of the carrier's current profit-improvement initiative. The original objective was a 15% drop in mainline unit costs excluding fuel prices, but "we now believe that we may need greater reductions . . . in order to achieve a competitive cost structure."

Because of its first-quarter experience with fare yields and fuel costs, Delta also has "lowered our expectations for cash flows from operations for 2004." As recently as March the airline believed it would be able to finance daily operations plus $300 million in non-fleet capital expenditures out of 2004 cash flows. Now it expects cash flow to fund "only a portion" of the $300 million. It will draw on currently available cash for the rest, and for $577 million in debt maturities during the last nine months of this year.

Delta's unrestricted cash and equivalents totaled $2.2 billion on Mar. 31, a substantial amount but down from Dec. 31, 2003, by more than any of the other network airlines (see table). The carrier estimates 2005 debt maturities at $1.2 billion. Its total debt, including capital leases, is about $12.6 billion.

United still has issues to resolve--notably retiree medical benefits and costs, aircraft leases and Denver airport bond payments--before it can it can file a reorganization plan. The overriding problem, however, is its application for a federal guarantee for $1.6 billion of the $2 billion in borrowing it plans as exit financing from Chapter 11. The airline turned in an updated application to the ATSB in December 2003, but it faces opposition from other airlines and the likelihood of a more skeptical reading of its proposals. The experience of US Airways--deep in the red despite what the ATSB considered conservative revenue and cost estimates--promises greater scrutiny for United.

CASH STILL IS KING
Unrestricted Cash and Short-Term Investments for Big Six U.S. Airlines
Mar. 31, 2004 Dec. 31, 2003
American $3.2 billion $2.6 billion
United 1.9 billion 1.7 billion
Delta* 2.2 billion 2.7 billion
Northwest 2.9 billion 2.8 billion
Continental 1.6 billion 1.6 billion
US Airways* 1.0 billion 1.3 billion

*Delta and US Airways, the airlines speculating that they will be forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, were the only ones among the Big Six that came out of the second quarter with less cash than they had at the beginning.

Source: Company Reports

Jim

I guess that spells it out pretty clearly! Cannot wait to read the "Concession Stand" folks' reply to this very credible report!!

This news report only states what can be seen from the outside. The employees, who work on the inside and see the purposeful waste and premeditated abuse of resources, see the story differently.

Unless the management decides to run the company with the intent of making a profit, we will indeed go back into bankruptcy.

The concession stand IS closed, see you in court.

repeet said:
Unless the management decides to run the company with the intent of making a profit, we will indeed go back into bankruptcy.

Mercy,Mercy ,mercy ..... now why did I expect to read that reply??

Repeet ... what have You calculated your Unemployment Benifits to be in $? And let me ask you what you have found your Cobra Medical Insurance Benefits are going to cost? Given the increase in fuel costs .. are you going to have to consider the increased costs of commuting to your new job (if you find one)? Will you have to relocate? What will that cost??

I tell you what! You have been very vocal on finishing off this Company! Please address the rest of us about your plan after the "Liquidation" that you embrace actually happens.

1) What do you consider your job oppurtunities to be after "L"?
2) Will you find work in your current location, or will you be displaced? At what cost?
3) What wage do you expect to earn at your new employer, in relation to what you earn now. (looking for a wage reduction % here)
4) What sort of benefits would you expect to receive at an entry level position at a new employer?
5) Do you believe that your history/record at US Airways will be a factor in your application for employment?

Just a few questions to be considered. I am curious about your thoughts on these very basic considerations .. I am sure many others in this delimma that are not as strong -minded as You would appreciate your thoughts!

As for Me ... I would do my Best to help this Company survive.

2B

*Delta and US Airways, the airlines speculating that they will be forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, were the only ones among the Big Six that came out of the second quarter with less cash than they had at the beginning.

Source: Company Reports

U had less cash than the beginning of the quarter because they spent $250 million to buy down the ATSB loan, and some "other " expenditures that no one seems to know what "other" is.

2Bornot2B,

Tell me something Einstein, what does the rest of the American workers do who do not work for U or don't work in the Industry????

Goodness, how do they manage. :shock:

PS: Throw in a couple of your dollars for me...for good measure! :up:

repeet said:
This news report only states what can be seen from the outside. The employees, who work on the inside and see the purposeful waste and premeditated abuse of resources, see the story differently.

repeet, WELL SAID !!!! It is evident that this companies sole focus is to take "ANOTHER run" at it's employees.. It is very SAD & PATHETIC that the management of this company cannot [or will not] capatilize on the over $1 BILLION dollars it has already extracted from the employees..

2BorNot2b,

AMEN BROTHER!

I try to stay out of these conversations but you have said what I have wanted to say for awhile. You are Absoulutely Right!!! I am a pilot which was furloughed due to 9/11 from a different airline. I applied EVERYWHERE for just a job to pay the bills. I applied to WALMART and KROGER ect.., just to be laughed at. I have a BS Degree in Aerospace, I worked through college at a very active FBO pumping fuel, loading bags, catering to passengers and crews ect. ect. I COULDNT GET A JOB ANYWHERE AND I AM A YOUNG GUY THAT COULD HAVE DONE ANYTHING!!! So Yes I cant wait to see these 25+ year employees go out and get a job paying 1/3 of what you make know or even after you make consessions again. So go ahead, like Bronnor and Lakefield said they are gonna do this with or without you and I for one will be with them. Although I have not gave up anything because I have nothing to give. So keep on keeping on folks I really hope things come out for the good for you unlike it did for me.

WOJetDreamer said:
2BorNot2b,

AMEN BROTHER!

I try to stay out of these conversations but you have said what I have wanted to say for awhile. You are Absoulutely Right!!! I am a pilot which was furloughed due to 9/11 from a different airline. I applied EVERYWHERE for just a job to pay the bills. I applied to WALMART and KROGER ect.., just to be laughed at. I have a BS Degree in Aerospace, I worked through college at a very active FBO pumping fuel, loading bags, catering to passengers and crews ect. ect. I COULDNT GET A JOB ANYWHERE AND I AM A YOUNG GUY THAT COULD HAVE DONE ANYTHING!!! So Yes I cant wait to see these 25+ year employees go out and get a job paying 1/3 of what you make know or even after you make consessions again. So go ahead, like Bronnor and Lakefield said they are gonna do this with or without you and I for one will be with them. Although I have not gave up anything because I have nothing to give. So keep on keeping on folks I really hope things come out for the good for you unlike it did for me.
"Dreamer" Sounds like you might of picked the wrong profession.. Other employees training will take them to industries other than airlines..If you want a job at WAL-MART, maybe I can help, my 17 yr. old son works there. He has connections.

just an observation ..
i would make every attempt to avoid bankruptcy based on 1. downward pressure on revenue in your most profitable hub 2. rising oil prices such that it will require even more offsetting costs to maintain break even 3.exit financing will be extremely difficult to obtain (as evidenced by UAL's inability to obtain it. if DAL enter's the restructuring process with UAL still in it as well the UAIR goes in for a SECOND time guess which ones get the money...

it is much better to stay out of bk than to try to exit it

:ph34r:

I have to agree with you Pitbull. Based upon the company's number of labor concessions of $800-900 million, there is no way that they will achieve that short of bankruptcy or liquidation. If it's true that they want $400 million from the pilots, that leaves another $400 million between the rest of us. Divided among 25,000 employees, that amounts to about $15-16,000 per year. Who can afford to give that kind of money? I think this whole thing is one big charade. They know we can't give that ridiculous amount that they are asking and they're going through negotiations just so that they can blame the bk on the unions.

We figued for AFA, if the cost the co. seeks is larger than both summer and winter concession combined, then that translates to approx. $20,000 per f/a (5,500 of us left).

That's just unattainable.

Well, if I have to give $15,000 back to the company as a F/A then that leaves me with making less than when I started 11 years ago. NO>NO>NO. Shut this friggin company down. This is high way robbery and I can barely make ends meet as it is I and we as reserves have already given a 38% pay cut. That is very close to 40 of our income. Go ahead and let them hire the little 19 year olds. Will I get a job somewhere else. YES!!!!!!!! I would like to see Glass, Bronner and Lakefield live on $20,000.00 a year!!!!! :angry:

Piney??? You want to live on less than $20,000 a year. Tell me that this company is fair???????? What else can a person posibly give and survive with the dedicated years to this hell hole???? I am sure you will some up with something!!!!!

Latest posts