Big Surprise! US Airways Airbus A320 will get ETOPS!

What is the difference between MTOW (Maximum Take-Off Weight) and OEW (Operating Empty Weight)? I couldn't find EOW information. What is EOW stands for? I'm asking you question does all US Airways Airbus family fleets have MTOW or OEW equipments without ETOPS for both EAST and WEST?

Certain East A319 and all A320 are Extended Overwater aircraft. This simply permits operations offshore greater than 162 nautical miles. None are ETOPS. The advantage of EOW is more direct routes and the consequential fuel savings by flying over the water versus longer coastal/overland routes.

The equipment requirements include HF (High Frequency) communications radios, ELT's (Emergency Locator Transmitters), Survival Kits, plus additional infant life vests.

Also certain equipment that could be inoperative (MEL'd) for non EOW flights is required for these operations.

The Escape Slides on the A320 Family do double duty as detachable life rafts.

The A321's are Non-EOW. However, they can be flown to just about every current Carribean/Latin America destination and remain within 162 miles from landfall.

Hope this helps you sort out the acronyms.

Certain East A319 and all A320 are Extended Overwater aircraft. This simply permits operations offshore greater than 162 nautical miles. None are ETOPS. The advantage of EOW is more direct routes and the consequential fuel savings by flying over the water versus longer coastal/overland routes.

The equipment requirements include HF (High Frequency) communications radios, ELT's (Emergency Locator Transmitters), Survival Kits, plus additional infant life vests.

Also certain equipment that could be inoperative (MEL'd) for non EOW flights is required for these operations.

The Escape Slides on the A320 Family do double duty as detachable life rafts.

The A321's are Non-EOW. However, they can be flown to just about every current Carribean/Latin America destination and remain within 162 miles from landfall.

Hope this helps you sort out the acronyms.
How did they come up with the 162 miles? Cause 162 is the amount of games the Major League Baseball teams play.

To get this back to the initial post -

As of an Airbus May 2006 press release, the A320 is capable of being ETOPS certified, what's the range of the aircraft as US has them configured? The standard max range published by Airbus' web site is 3000nm with a 150 passenger/2 class config. PHX-HNL is 2535nm and HNL-PPT is 2373nm.

So, someone please tell me why the A320 would crash into the ocean if it was ETOPS certified.

And, diamond - please specify your source. If true, this really opens a lot of options. Heck - maybe PHL-Iceland(I forget the airport code or even correct spelling for Reyjevek)....

So, someone please tell me why the A320 would crash into the ocean if it was ETOPS certified.

Dunno if the A320s purchased by US have the maximum range as shown on the Airbus website, but B6 and its brand new A320s couldn't fly JFK-West Coast this past Feb and March without a fuel stop due to heavy jetstream headwinds. Same thing with many other airlines and their A320s (like UAL and USAir).

Eastbound might not be a problem from Hawaii, but nobody in their right mind would try scheduled service to Hawaii with an A320. 737? yep. 757? yep. 767? yep. A320? no freakin' way.

Insufficient range is an huge annoyance when flying NYC to the West Coast in the winter.

It's intolerable when flying West Coast to Hawaii, since there's no airports between the mainland and Hawaii.

If you look PrivatAir:

PrivatAir's two German registered Airbus A319 LR aircraft are configured with 48 identical leather seats in a single cabin, and are ideal for carrying business class passengers in outstanding comfort. They are equipped with individual in-flight entertainment, avionics and safety systems to meet the most stringent requirements of the modern traveler. With a range of over 4'000 nautical miles, they can fly non-stop for up to 9½ hours, putting most transatlantic destinations within easy reach of Europe.

They currently fly ORD and EWR to Dusselfdorf for LH and EWR to MUC.

The standard max range published by Airbus' web site is 3000nm with a 150 passenger/2 class config. PHX-HNL is 2535nm and HNL-PPT is 2373nm.

Because you forgot to account for the strong headwinds encountered going westbound. The ranges listed on the website are usually for a no wind condition and they usually seem to be a little inflated over what you actually experience in line operations.

US Airways, now offering non-stop service to the middle of the Pacific Ocean from Phoenix, Las Vegas and San Francisco. All service is one-way westbound.

This could be their plan to get rid of some more aircraft and a few of those pesky flight crews...

So the equipment levels are...

Standard (50nm limit?) - No special equipment
Overwater (162nm) - Life vests... anything else?
Extended OW - HF radios, ELTs, survival kits, etc.

Is that correct?
More than 50nm offshore up to 162nm (I think)=Lifevest for every passenger (which all East A/C have). Some of the 737-400's used to be EOW and had the ELT and the Life Rafts and flew to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Croix, and Bermuda (anywhere else besides MBJ and GCM which do not have to be EOW I cannot remember). Now they just have the Lifevests and that is it. I think if it is more than 162nm then it has to be EOW. ETOPS I'm pretty sure is when you are getting it on with a big slab of water and no land in sight for so many minutes. It's been like 7 years since I received the rundown so I could be off.

To get this back to the initial post -

As of an Airbus May 2006 press release, the A320 is capable of being ETOPS certified, what's the range of the aircraft as US has them configured? The standard max range published by Airbus' web site is 3000nm with a 150 passenger/2 class config. PHX-HNL is 2535nm and HNL-PPT is 2373nm.

And, diamond - please specify your source. If true, this really opens a lot of options. Heck - maybe PHL-Iceland(I forget the airport code or even correct spelling for Reyjevek)....

Because most people on this board talk out of there A&&es and have no clue what a Aircraft can do.

There is always a great deal of confusion over ETOPS and EOW, they are different things. West will begin to make their 320 fleet EOW in the near future. As far as I know, most if not all East320 a/c are EOW. Adapting to this, will allow for better route planning and a/c utilization as integration continues.

What is the difference between MTOW (Maximum Take-Off Weight) and OEW (Operating Empty Weight)? I couldn't find EOW information. What is EOW stands for? I'm asking you question does all US Airways Airbus family fleets have MTOW or OEW equipments without ETOPS for both EAST and WEST?

You are stretching the abilities of the 320 on runs East-West such as SEA ,PDX this would definitely not be my choice of aircraft to run PHX-HNL...you could not carry a decent payload with 42200 fuel ....it would not work.

Either the 757 or 767 would be the better canidate for these runs. Better yet to operate them out of LAX or SFO to HNL would help with the fuel requirements and enhance the payload you could carry.

As for the number range of the A330

671 now 271
672 now 272
673 now 273
674 now 274
677 now 277

670,675,676,678 now done yet.

629 is getting her new number tonight back in service in 2 days.

more coming in Sept.

What is the difference between MTOW (Maximum Take-Off Weight) and OEW (Operating Empty Weight)? I couldn't find EOW information.
MTOW is a certified maximum take-off weight for the airplane, and would be common to a specific version of that plane (i.e. - all the East 737-400's have the same MTOW)

OEW is the actual empty weight of a particular plane, weighed without fuel, cargo, passengers, etc. Since each aircraft can have a slightly different actual empty weight, determined by actually weighing it, you won't find a "standard" OEW for any type of aircraft (other than possibly the manufacturer's literature).

Jim

An airbus a-319 or a-320 can barely make it PHX-CUN much less PHX-HNL so they may make them for etops for the MEX routes nothing more. The airbus is very weak on the PHX-PHL route in the winter, add 50kts of headwind and your making a fuel stop in MCI.

Latest posts