Birdie Doo in Cabin

I'll take this one - that's what they pay us the big bucks for. Despite some occasional claims to the contrary, everything about that flight, including whether to board or when, is within the captain's control. Saying "No" usually works, but when it doesn't there are other ways to get the point across.

Jim

The Problem was that the Capt. wasn't willing to make that difiicult call, big bucks or not. He was cleaning the bird sh--t trying to get this a/c out. He actually told the F/A's that we could continue to "whine" about it or do something about it. Talk about setting a tone. It was apparent at that point that he wasn't interested in our concerns.

The Problem was that the Capt. wasn't willing to make that difiicult call, big bucks or not. He was cleaning the bird sh--t trying to get this a/c out. He actually told the F/A's that we could continue to "whine" about it or do something about it. Talk about setting a tone. It was apparent at that point that he wasn't interested in our concerns.

What a nut-case of a captain. The second the f/as started to participate in cleaning bird droppings put them directly at a potential risk, specfically because they handle food and beverage. Once the droppings are either injested or inhaIled puts everyone, including THE CAPTAINS CREW AT MAJOR HEALTH RISK.

Does this Captain own stock in the company??? Lesson needs to be learned...BRING IN THE MEDIA.

Any employee can refuse to do something if it is unsafe without being retaliated against.

You could have refused to work that flight until it was properly cleaned.

I was personally involved in a flight where a passenger had an anyursm and blood was splattered everywhere. The plane came to my gate and I said it was way too much for me to clean and carpet had to be replaced, on a turn flight. It had to be taken to the hangar and cleaned properly, the plane was removed from service and cleaned properly.

You just have to be vocal and stand up for yourself.

I'll take this one - that's what they pay us the big bucks for. Despite some occasional claims to the contrary, everything about that flight, including whether to board or when, is within the captain's control. Saying "No" usually works, but when it doesn't there are other ways to get the point across.

Jim

Jim

I must say that that kind of thinking has caused many incidents AND accidents in the past. All the f/a's should had pulled together and walked...period. This incident has taught me a lesson. I will risk my job more than my health, regardless of who is in charge or makes the big bucks.

I remember when SARS was an issue, we had to take extra precautions when cleaning those flights any flight from Canada was treated as such.

We had to wear a mask or resporator, disposable coveralls take the openings, special gloves and all.

We as Utility took no chances.

I was one of the F/As on this flight, and was outraged that something else wasn't done, but once you get pushed down by the CApt. and the agents all hell bent on getting this flight off the gate, your voice tends to get lost. Also the "A" F/A wasn't willing to stand behind others and have this incident totally cleared up. The "A" was the one who gave the okay to start boarding.

I still think that this plane should be found and sanitized, because anyone with a compomised imune system is at risk of contracting TB.

Of course however, the bottomline was getting the paxs out and on their way, not health.
Hi Lodo,

You can definitely get sick from the poop but you can not get TB even if you are compromised. It is caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium, spread by aerosol droplets expelled by HUMANS with active TB of the lungs.

If maintenance has the logbook. I’ll ask maintenance if it is ok to board it is pretty much their plane at that point. They wont take the delay if you don’t board and they say to board. If Capt. said not to board it becomes a crew delay. I think a call to the new created job of aircraft appearance manager since there is no lead/manager utility any more to make the decisions.

The Problem was that the Capt. wasn't willing to make that difiicult call, big bucks or not.
Jim

I must say that that kind of thinking has caused many incidents AND accidents in the past.

lodoboy,

That's the problem - too many are more concerned with making the (sorta) big bucks than listening to the concerns of any member of their crew.

LCC #1,

I presume you're talking about CRM issues. I didn't mean to imply anything but that the captain should have listened to the concerns of his/her crew and backed them up as necessary. The captain can stop everything in it's tracks (no matter where the log book is - check the FOM). One or two f/a's only get the choice of going along or getting off the flight (and risk repercussions).

As far as I'm concerned, when it's my plane a crewmember's concerns are my concerns - whether I may personally agree or not. Until those concerns are ironed out, the best thing to do if you're on the ground is stop everything, sort it out, get everyone's agreement, then proceed with the agreed course of action.

Jim

Rarely vacuumed carpets..mustless seats. I PROMISE you there are mites EVERYWHERE onboard.

Half ass cleaned bathrooms where I PROMISE you fecal matter residue harbors itself on the door handles.

Nasty pillows and blankets with every kind of human fluid known to mankind.

Mics that are NEVER cleaned.

Air filters that are NEVER changed.

Meal carts that are NEVER cleaned.

Ovens that are NEVER cleaned.

Coffee pots that are NEVER cleaned.

Seat trays NEVER cleaned...all oozing with germs.
I think we’ve built up a resistance to all that over the years.

but once you get pushed down by the CApt. <SNIP> Also the "A" F/A wasn't willing to stand behind others and have this incident totally cleared up. The "A" was the one who gave the okay to start boarding.
Long SJU layover?

Well, not to underscore the severity of what happened, but why not add to the rest of the gross germ conditions of our aircraft.

Umm, let's see...

Rarely vacuumed carpets..mustless seats. I PROMISE you there are mites EVERYWHERE onboard.

Half ass cleaned bathrooms where I PROMISE you fecal matter residue harbors itself on the door handles.

Nasty pillows and blankets with every kind of human fluid known to mankind.

Mics that are NEVER cleaned.

Air filters that are NEVER changed.

Meal carts that are NEVER cleaned.

Ovens that are NEVER cleaned.

Coffee pots that are NEVER cleaned.

Seat trays NEVER cleaned...all oozing with germs.

HELL, whats alittle birdshiit?!!

Get my drift? ;) :ph34r:

So report it to the Health Department instead of some message board that everyone reads for amusement.....Drama drama drama...unreal.....

I had a friend/colleague of mine at the university where I teach who has a PhD in Biology read the OP in this thread. She said she would not have gotten on the flight if she knew the real problem. In addition to bird flu, could have salmonella, west nile,and fungus, amongst other things, all that grow in bird feces. Being in a tropical climate would make things even worse.

Sounds like this is bad news.

Would one of you be so kind as to PM me the particulars?

Seems that I have a media contact who would like to talk to me regarding the new US Airways. I'd like to make sure he has the information required to make this public.

Thanks in advance.

I know who THAT is. He knows already. :p

Eye

Back