Bobby Gless, others vent spleens at sharholders meeting

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Sounds like some fireworks:

AMR shareholders, employees blast executive pay

Wednesday May 16, 1:47 pm ET
By Kyle Peterson

FORT WORTH, Texas (Reuters) - AMR Corp. (NYSE:AMR - News) is recovering after a years-long downturn in the airline industry, the company's chief executive said on Wednesday, but shareholders say strained labor relations threaten to undo the progress American Airlines' parent has made in recent years.

The stockholders, several of whom were AMR employees, pelted Gerard Arpey with criticism over executive compensation for top managers at the parent of the world's largest airline.

"I want you to know that your employees feel betrayed," Bobby Gless, a representative of the Transport Workers Union told Arpey at the annual shareholders meeting.

Gless was referring to executive stock awards that have driven a wedge between AMR executives and rank-and-file employees, who made steep wage and benefit concessions during a company restructuring.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070516/amr_meeting.html?.v=2

Who says the TWU doesn't go to bat for its constituents?

Seriously, though, good luck in replacing the bus drivers union.

Sounds like some fireworks:

Who says the TWU doesn't go to bat for its constituents?
I do. What did he state that was spleen venting? He just stated the obvious without even supporting it.
"I want you to know that your employees feel betrayed",, thats no worse than what AMR hears from their own managers off the floor.

I wouldnt be suprised if Gless was asked by Arpy to say this, this way he could lay out his prepared BS response and make more cutting remarks from others like ms Haddington and others appear to keep going back to something that was previosly addressed. Was Gless one of the first recognized for questions or comments on employee issues?

Gless's next quote shatters any illusions that he or the TWU is going to bat for us.
"We'll still be side by side doing what we need to do," Gless said.(American chief defends execs' bonuses
By TREBOR BANSTETTER
May 17, 2007)

While reading this, I am reminded of my late Father as we were traveling in a green 1964 Chevrolet Station Wagon on a Vacation Trip to Grandma's house.

With the wife and six kids in the back of the wagon, my Father kept turning down the AM Radio volume and screaming, "Don't Make Me Pull This Car Over".

Of course nobody in the car listened or change behavior as the threat had been heard many times before.

The TWU is similar in nature, the leaders talk big talk, use slogans on t-shirts and buttons to make statemets, but when real tough action is needed, members know not to get ready, and management knows not to be concerned. Thus the behavior of raping and stealing by Corporate Thugs never ceases.

About every three years, we get a "Gilligan and the dress," moment.

The TWU, like Gilligan, claims that they will not put on the dress for whatever foolishness the Company is engaged.

Several moments later, the TWU-like Gilligan, is standing there still claiming they will not wear the dress: while they are wearing the dress.

Gless, Videtich and the Line Local Presidents have been moved into the background for this round of negotiations, Bird#### and overhaul have been moved in.

:shock: I think this says it all about how Gless feels about our continuing to work with management.

"We'll still be side by side doing what we need to do," Gless said.

Executive Pay Puts Arpey on Hot Seat
Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, Texas) Publication Date: 05/17/07

By Trebor Banstetter, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Texas
May 17--FORT WORTH -- Gerard Arpey kept trying to change the subject.

The American Airlines CEO pointed out the company's first profit in six years, its strengthening balance sheet and his upbeat outlook on the future as he addressed the annual meeting of shareholders Wednesday.

But most shareholders and employees at the meeting wanted to talk about just one thing -- how the world's largest airline compensates its top executives and managers, particularly in light of steep cuts in wages and benefits that employees took in 2003.

"Our members, your employees, feel betrayed," Bobby Gless, international coordinator for the Transport Workers Union of America, told Arpey......

And some union leaders said they would continue working with executives despite the furor.

"We'll still be side by side doing what we need to do," Gless said.

Shares of AMR Corp., American's parent (ticker: AMR), closed at $26.66, up $1.28, Wednesday.

-----

To see more of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.dfw.com.

Will Strike if Provoked

Best Workers in the World

United we Stand Contract '95

An Injustice to One is an Injustice to All

United We Bargain Divided We Beg

Best Workers in the World

American's Real Strength

Strike Force Dead Serious

Right to Work is a RipOff

Shared GAAin

I AM THE UNION

What part of UNION don't you understand