The Twu Method Of Operation

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
now that TWU t-shirt with a slogan will fix everything! :shock:

Unions Pack American Airlines Meeting
Wednesday May 19, 5:59 pm ET
By David Koenig, AP Business Writer
Unions Urge American Airlines Officials to Boost Revenue; Southwest Shareholders Hear Cheerier News

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- American Airlines' unionized employees packed a shareholders meeting Wednesday to complain that company leaders aren't bearing their share of cost-cutting and have failed to determine how to increase revenue.

One pilot complained that management's plan to turn around the world's biggest carrier is a feel-good approach that lacks strategy and vision.

American's parent, AMR Corp., has lost more than $6 billion over the past three years but is no longer in immediate danger of bankruptcy. It lost $166 million in the first quarter but made money in March, and company directors rewarded chief executive Gerard Arpey by giving him the added title of chairman on Wednesday. The mood of shareholders was somber but hopeful.

Edward Brennan, who had been chairman since last spring, will remain on AMR's board.

Two hours later and 20 miles east, shareholders of Southwest Airlines gathered and cheered executives of the low-cost carrier, which has remained profitable through the industry's deep slump.

Dallas-based Southwest plans to add 58 planes by the end of next year, and its new service in Philadelphia is off to a rousing start.

"I believe Southwest Airlines to be in superb competitive position," chief executive James F. Parker declared.

The contrast in fortunes at the two airlines was evident during the meetings, but there were also common themes.

One was fuel prices, which have nearly eliminated any chance that traditional airlines such as American might earn a profit for 2004.

Late Tuesday, Houston-based Continental Airlines raised fares by up to $40 per round trip and said soaring fuel prices could force it to cut jobs and wages.

American will certainly match the increase, chairman and chief executive Gerard Arpey told reporters after AMR's meeting.

At Southwest, Parker said higher fuel costs might prompt the Dallas-based carrier to raise fares $1 to $2 each way on some routes.

Southwest is largely insulated from the spike in fuel prices because it purchased options to buy about 80 percent of its fuel at roughly 60 percent of the current price. American, which hovered near bankruptcy at this time last year, couldn't afford to make such long-term bets on the direction of fuel prices.

American and Southwest share a concern with maintaining decent relations with labor unions. Under threat of bankruptcy, American persuaded its unions to approve major cuts in pay and benefits last year, which are still being felt.

Dozens of members of the Transport Workers Union attended the AMR meeting wearing black T-shirts that bore a message to management, 'Show Me the Shared Sacrifice!" TWU represents mechanics and other ground workers.

Arpey took a pay cut and received no bonuses last year. The same went for other top executives. TWU members, however, complained that Arpey got a $151,000 payment under a long-term incentive program.

Dave Eitel, a San Francisco-based pilot active in the pilots' union, said that American had failed to develop a strategy to increase revenue and compete with other carriers. He said American and AMR prospered only when the entire airline industry did.

The pilot called Arpey's four-point turnaround program for American a feel-good plan.

Arpey didn't respond directly to Eitel's charge, but later told reporters that he sympathized with employees' view "that if we just raised revenue a lot we could fix our problem."

That is not so easy, he said.

"This remains a very difficult operating environment," Arpey said. "That's why United is bankrupt, US Airways (was) bankrupt, Air Canada is bankrupt, Hawaiian is bankrupt. There's a reason that those things have occurred."

American is boosting capacity by 6 percent this year, with most of the increase on more profitable international routes, which should help.

American, however, has been unable to raise domestic fares much due to competition from low-cost carriers on nearly 90 percent of its U.S. routes. As a result, American's "yield" -- the amount it makes per passenger -- is not rising much.

Southwest has been unable to reach a contract settlement with its flight attendants' union. Flight attendants told reporters Wednesday that the carrier is healthy enough to give them good pay raises. Company officials declined to discuss the issue.

Shares of Fort Worth, Texas-based AMR lost 29 cents, to $10.54, and Southwest shares were down 12 cents, to close at $14.77, Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Is it true the t-shirts intimidated Arpey so badly that he is going to give us our money and benefits back? :lol:

Decision 2004 said:
Is it true the t-shirts intimidated Arpey so badly that he is going to give us our money and benefits back? :lol:
We are already starting to get our money back. It's in the form of an Annual Incentive Plan, AIP, check.

Since we will have about $120000.00 stolen from our pay checks over five years it will take Mr. Arpey a little while before we get this all back at $25.00 (before taxes) a check. ;)

Today, I told some twu believers that it's a little too late to be complaining to management about "shared sacrifice." The twu should have thought of that about a year ago. Arpey has to be laughing his ass off seeing these "team twu" buffoons crying to him with their angry, black twu slogan shirts on. Twu buffoon; "Geez Mr. Arpey do ya think you could see your way clear ta, uhhhh, give back some of our pay?" Arpey; Hmmm, let me think.... uhh No. Twu buffoon; "Golly gee whiz Mr. Arpey, could ya maybe give us back some holidays, vacation, or sick time, please-please-please?" Mr. Arpey; I dunno, hmmm, you guys are asking a lot, now let me think a minute (deep thought) ......uhh-hmm, well,.....ahhh, that would be a No." Twu Buffoon; "Well, golly Mr. Arpey..... we in the twu are kind of upset.... (Arpey interrupts), " Listen, let me tell you twu boys and girls something. When you go buy a car, do you negotiate the deal after you sign a contract with the salesman or before?" Twu buffoons (in unison, but confused); "Uhhh, before Mr. Arpey." Arpey; "Thats right, you fools signed a contract, for six years, and YOU ARE STUCK WITH IT!!!!" Arpey; "Do you guys have anything else you want to know?" Twu buffoons; "Well, damn it Mr. Arpey, we will get you NEXT TIME!!!" Arpey leaves, laughing all the way down the hallway.

This is another reason we have to get these twu clowns out of the negotiations room with management. These people are embarrassing to say the least. I can't blame management for pulling every trick they can to keep the twu on the property at AA. Can anyone blame them?

THE twu IS OUT THE DOOR IN 04!!!!

Careful Hackett who ya call names in here..I know of many AMFA supporters who voted FOR the concessions...and if the truth were known, you probably did also.

Drip E. Kwill said:
Careful Hackett who ya call names in here..I know of many AMFA supporters who voted FOR the concessions...and if the truth were known, you probably did also.
I know of many fools that voted for the concessions also. And that was before the Corporate Pocket Lining of 46 Executives was revealed on the 10K SEC filing. Jim Little said this would require a complete re-vote for the ratification to have legitimacy. Anybody that voted yes, did so without complete and honest information. So what is your point Steve?

All I see, is a ratification vote that still requires a re-vote to have any legitimacy. Therefore, regardless of yes or no voting, the member should not be judged for those actions. But the leadership sure should be judged and removed.

Drip E. Kwill said:
Ok earl, I will be carefull. I'll just concentrate my name calling on you, ok moron?

I'm happy to tell you that I have NEVER voted yes on a twu contract yet. Yes, I am quite sure I voted NO for the last time on a twu concessionary contract.

There will be no more twu contracts.

When are you jumping back into management? Soon I hope. A guy with no license is not getting much of a future these days on the outside after our next round of AA layoffs comes this fall to MCI and STL. I guess you could always be a bouncer at the VA Hospital.

THE twu IS OUT THE DOOR IN 04!!!!

if only the team(twu) would have wore those "WILL STRIKE IF PROVOKED" snake shirts to the shareholders meeting, i bet arpey would have crapped his pants in fear......LMFAO!...TWU ALL BARK NO BITE!

Dozens of members of the Transport Workers Union attended the AMR meeting wearing black T-shirts that bore a message to management, 'Show Me the Shared Sacrifice!" TWU represents mechanics and other ground workers.

Arpey was later quoted as saying: "I'm just glad they weren't wearing those snake shirts, those really scare me." :lol:

RUM@AA said:

Arpey was later quoted as saying: "I'm just glad they weren't wearing those snake shirts, those really scare me." :lol:
Hisssssssss, Hisssssssss. All the twu buffoons needed was a coffin with snake shirts, to really scare the bejesus outta a newly minted AMR chairman.

I wonder if they called Arpey a scab? :D

THE twu IS OUT THE DOOR IN 04!!!!!

:huh:
I need help trying to understand this one?

The TWU people want to see a "shared sacrifice" yet their upper echelon officers got raises and they did not secure this during concession negotiations in the first place. ???
I now see posts saying "... I know of many AMFA supporters who voted for concessions..." yet the TWU puts out propaganda that it was the AMFA supporters at UAL that caused the rejection of the concession vote.
I also noticed that some of the "usuals" like CIO and TWUER have no responses to this. It is interesting to note however that every time they get nailed into a corner with their posts they start a new thread. I can't wait to see what they come up with now.
Don't forget AMT day May 24. :up:

Respond to what, more amfa rhetoric?? Ask ole Dan the company man what his shirt got him!!!!!! Were you at the stock holders meeting. . . . any of you??

That's what I thought!!!

twuer said:
Respond to what, more amfa rhetoric?? Ask ole Dan the company man what his shirt got him!!!!!! Were you at the stock holders meeting. . . . any of you??

That's what I thought!!!
Were you at the meeting?

Even if every AMT showed up it would not have made any difference in how AA and Arpey perceive our craft. The crack he made about the snake t-shirts tells you VOLUMES on how he fears the twu.

Just keep your AIP check and remain the typical two stool. You obviously do not believe in principle. Arpey will learn to respect our profession when AMFA negotiates our next contract.