Boeing extends lead in wide-body market

In another setback for Airbus and its four-engine A340, Cathay Pacific Airways of Hong Kong announced plans Thursday to buy a dozen of The Boeing Co.'s twin-engine 777s and take purchase rights on 20 more.

Cathay Pacific, which has 95 Boeing and Airbus planes in its fleet, said the 777 eventually will become its primary long-haul aircraft.

This is the second major airline order campaign won by Boeing and its 777 in two weeks. Emirates ordered 42 777s at the Dubai Air Show.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

I just thought to add this as well. The much sought after Qantas order is still up in the air at this time. Qantas is looking to spend $15-20 billion on fleet upgrades. Airbus made several hops in Australia to promote the A380, but Qantas’s best known “ambassador-at-largeâ€￾ is John Travolta whom flies Boeing aircraft.

QANTAS'S decision on whether to choose Boeing or Airbus for its $15 to 20 billion fleet upgrade is going down to the wire as the international arch-rivals fight for the business.
"We have not decided (what to recommend) yet," said Geoff Dixon, Qantas chief executive, when he was asked on ABC's Inside Business program what he would tell his board this week.

Finance News Australia

It looks as if Qantas is going to withhold judgement until 15 or 16 December for right now. From what I have read they may split the orders as well. Qantas is leaning toward Boeing for their Qantas fleet, but looking at Airbus for their low cost offshoot Jeststar.

Both aircraft makers have submitted changes to their proposals, and have more than likely caused the delay in any decision.

Of course I will update myself later. B)

When are you going to learn that this board cares nothing about foreign airlines?

These posters only care about a free holiday employee meals in places like ABE that nobody even knows exist.

BTW, John Travolta pilots his personal Boeing 707 -- hardly an advertisment for the latest/greatest plane technology.

Besides, Qantas ain't exactly a market leader. They only buy big planes because of geography.

China. Didja notice they bought 170 Airbus planes this past week??

And so on. Now back to important topics like scabs, uniforms, Doug's red carpet and anything EXCEPT the customer experience.

Wow, where do I start with this?

When are you going to learn that this board cares nothing about foreign airlines?

These posters only care about a free holiday employee meals in places like ABE that nobody even knows exist.

I actually beg to differ. Granted foreign airlines do not put bread on the table for most of the readers of this board, but to say that no one cares is a bit of a stretch. I did not know Boeing or Airbus for that matter were considered airlines. I was merely posting information on end-of-year orders and the “raceâ€￾ (for lack of a better word) of these two fine companies to finish on top.

I gather you wouldn’t care about meals in ABE. Only the folks who will be in ABE over the holidays might care, but last I knew crews could discuss such things. It is an aviation board after all. BTW, if you don’t know where it is look it up. Call it a learning experience.

BTW, John Travolta pilots his personal Boeing 707 -- hardly an advertisment for the latest/greatest plane technology.

Besides, Qantas ain't exactly a market leader. They only buy big planes because of geography.

I never said that he was flying the latest and greatest equipment. I stated that John Travolta is Qantas ambassador-at-large nothing more. It was in the context of trying to figure out which way Qantas was going to go.

Please name an airline that does not buy “big planesâ€￾ due to geography. The only reason I mentioned Qantas is because they are the last “bigâ€￾ order of the year.

China. Didja notice they bought 170 Airbus planes this past week??

Check post #3. At the time I posted the article the exact numbers were not out, so I apologize for confusing you.

And so on. Now back to important topics like scabs, uniforms, Doug's red carpet and anything EXCEPT the customer experience.

I enjoy the amount/diversification of the post in these forums. Granted some can get beaten to death twice over, but overall it goes with the flow of the general posters. If you have an issue with the customer experience, start a topic, post, or write the airline concerned. Post like this one was completely meaningless and riddled with inaccuracies.

I will keep posting information of foreign/domestic airlines, aircraft makers, and anything I deem relevant to the issue at hand. What you do with that information is up to you or anyone else whom chooses to read.

The final big order is finally in, and it all goes to Boeing. Qantas has decided to forgo a split order, and has ordered 115 Boeing 787 for Qantas and Jetstar turnovers.

QANTAS says it will acquire 115 Boeing 787 aircraft as part of its fleet renewal program in a deal worth up to $24 billion.
Qantas (qan.ASX:Quote,News) will take delivery of acquire of the first 65 aircraft from 2008 at a list price of $13 billion. "Obviously with the 115 aircraft it gets up to about $23 to $24 billion," chief executive Geoff Dixon said.
The decision follows Qantas' request to Airbus and Boeing in August for twin-engine wide-body aircraft.
Mr Dixon said the tender had been very competitive, with excellent options proposed by both Boeing and Airbus.
"The Boeing 787 provides breakthrough technology, enabling us to fly further to more point-to-point destinations throughout the world at a cost equivalent to operating larger aircraft like the Boeing 747-400," he said.

News Article

This seals up a good year for both aircraft manufactures. Both Airbus and Boeing set unprecedented order numbers for the year, and guaranteed a healthy future.

The 777-300ER is great for Cathay for nonstop smaller European cities like Rome & Amsterdam, service to Toronto(now one-stop via Vancouver), South Africa, JFK(daily nonstop with A346). San Francisco could be twice daily(now a 744 daily) and Vancouver could be triple daily. There is replacing the A340 on some of the four daliy flights to LHR and maybe double daily to Frankfurt(now 744 daily). 777's provide Cathay with more options to more plcaes they don't fly to like, Chicago. Currently at Cathay, Hong Kong is with in reach of any place they want to fly to with their current fleet. I don't see the need for Cathay to fly to South America, Argentina & Brazil.

Cathay's mission to stretch the route map has reached a peak since service to JFK was lauched in 1996, now its about adding frequency and new destinations in Europe and especially the United States. Lax, SFO & JFK aren't enough to satisfy all the need for service to China, Cathay could and should satisfy as China's flagship airline. Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Washington, Boston & Seatle are all cities needing the Hong Kong connection.

Hi JFK777,

Funny thing is I did not hear a peep out of Cathay for quite some time. I come back on and there is an article about them in the same forum, so I went over to Cathay's web site. I have to agree with you that Cathay is in a very good position for some strong growth. Cathay (as a company) also has a strong inter-country tie with DragonAir. From reading these earlier report of aircraft sales I get the feeling that the country of China is the entity doing the buying, and then (I assume) dividing up the A/C to fit the needs of the airlines. Am I correct in that assumption?

I would also like to add that Cathay has strong partnerships in OneWorld, and will only get stronger as they add frequency.

*I guess "strong" is the word of the day. :lol:

Silent Warrior,

China seems to buy planes via the government for airlines like China Southern, China Eastern and Air China. Cathay, based in Hong Kong makes it own decisions on these matters in the same way it did when the Union Jack was painted on the tail. Cathay's primary regional aircraft is the A330-300 with some shorter range 777's, most of these airplanes were ordered in the early 1990's. 747-400 fly in primary routes to LHR, FRA, Vancouver and California(LAX 3 daily & SFO once daily). The 777-300ER is realy a supplement or replacement for 3 leases A340-600 used to JFK nonstop from HKG and the rest of the A340 fleet, now in its teen years. I see these planes being around for 4 or 5 years since that will be how long it takes for them to delivery all the 777-300ER. Also Cathay opertaes some 777-300 regionally, these are part of the "shorter range" 777 I was talking about earlier. The next decision is the one I await, 747 Advanced or A380?

Latest posts