Boeing Tops Airbus With $12.3 Billion American Air Deal for 787s

WeAAsles

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
American Airlines Group Inc. ordered 47 Boeing Co. 787 Dreamliners for long-range flying, expanding its fleet of the advanced carbon-composite jetliners and dealing a blow to Airbus SE’s ambitions to expand its wide-body aircraft sales in the U.S.

In a related move, American canceled an order for 22 of Airbus’s twin-aisle A350 jets, a purchase placed by predecessor carrier US Airways, according to a statement Friday. The Boeing deal is worth a total of $12.3 billion before customary discounts.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...paign=headline&cmpId=yhoo.headline&yptr=yahoo

Reactions: robbedagain
American Airlines Group Inc. ordered 47 Boeing Co. 787 Dreamliners for long-range flying, expanding its fleet of the advanced carbon-composite jetliners and dealing a blow to Airbus SE’s ambitions to expand its wide-body aircraft sales in the U.S.

In a related move, American canceled an order for 22 of Airbus’s twin-aisle A350 jets, a purchase placed by predecessor carrier US Airways, according to a statement Friday. The Boeing deal is worth a total of $12.3 billion before customary discounts.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...paign=headline&cmpId=yhoo.headline&yptr=yahoo
Not Rolls Royce engines are they?

LAA hasn’t taken any new Rolls since the last 777-2 came in 2006.

Josh
Good because I was reading an article online from the WSJ that the EAA was going to limit them to 60 minutes from the nearest airport for single engine and the FAA was doing 120 minutes if they had the Rolls Royce engines. Basically killing their ETOPS ability, because of turbine blade problems.

120 ETOPS for a RR 787. Wow, that must be like getting kicked in the stomach. AA's 767's are at 180 ETOPS. Just saying.
1AA they have had turbine blades cracking at the dove tails and failing, Rolls has not been able to fix the issues to the satisfaction of the EAA or FAA so this is their solution.

You would think a company such as RR would have a solution. Esp after the QF 32 incident years ago. N now the CFM 56-7B ...albeit 2 diff issues but still solution should be found

You would think a company such as RR would have a solution. Esp after the QF 32 incident years ago. N now the CFM 56-7B ...albeit 2 diff issues but still solution should be found
Well SWA solution is on these blades if on the inspections if any blade is found questionable they are sent back to G.E., and they say if it is serviceable or not. I really feel they will eventually life limit these fan blades, like you do in the rotor systems for helicopters.

Thx 737 .i wonder why they havent done that by now though
Sadly I would say as a whole , cost to the industry. This is the first blade failure resulting in loss of life. The FAA is an tombstone reaction. From the USair 737-classic rudder hardovers, to the Valujet cargo fire, until they made all cargo compartments have Halon fire bottles. We as mechanics, leads, and inspectors are just along for the ride. They take statistics and compare what chance of loss of life, including total aircraft loss, and then make the rule changes.