By Elizabeth Souder

Dow Jones Newswires

E-mail this article

Print this article

Search archive

Most read articles

Most e-mailed articles

RSS feeds

NEW YORK — US Airways' problems during the holidays with mishandled baggage are prompting travel agents and customers to book trips with other airlines.

Travel agents said they're concerned that operations disruptions or even liquidation will lead to more canceled trips as the bankrupt airline continues contract negotiations with the baggage-handlers union and faces $260 million in airplane payments in the next two months.

"Their future rests in the hands of thousands of travel agents," said William Rochelle, an airline-bankruptcy expert with Fulbright & Jaworski.

Rochelle and other travel experts said the trouble during the holiday weekend prompted a greater degree of concern among customers than the bankruptcy filings of the past few years. US Airways continues to operate under Chapter 11 protection.

"I think that what's going on now is very dangerous for US Airways," said Standard & Poor's analyst Jim Corridore, who does not own airline shares. "I frankly have been surprised that they've been able to survive this long."

Puzzled...Since the demise of travel agt commissions and the birth of internet bookings, since when was an airline so heavily reliable on the bookings and revenue generated by such?

As much as legacy carriers would like you to use their web sites, none of them IIRC approach 50% of their bookings on their site.

Independence Air was at 90+%, but now they have opened up to travel agencies since that 90% booked online only filled the planes half full.

WN doesn't even approach the 90%. If you want a carrier that books over 90% online and makes money, check out Europe: Ryan Air, Easy Jet and GermanWings to name a few.

There is not a marketing firm on the planet that could overcome the mess the US Airways is in right now. My company has an enormous contract with US Airways. We were advised to exclusively book on any carrier other than US Airways. Even colleagues, family and friends talk of flying any carrier but US Airways for vacations. Such a sad turn of events. And now you have Delta unvieling their new fare structure its just insult to injury. I think US Airways days are clearly numbered. Good luck everyone.

Severed-N-Happy said:
Puzzled...Since the demise of travel agt commissions and the birth of internet bookings, since when was an airline so heavily reliable on the bookings and revenue generated by such?
[post="235793"][/post]​

Although the airlines hate travel agents, the attempted murder didn't work.

All your MAJOR corporate fliers are required to book through the corporate travel agency (if they want their expense account reimbursement). If they don't they get untold grief from higher up.

That's why.

Did the airlines expect that multi-national corporations would just let their employees go nuts and book online or anywhere they pleased, with no controls?

How do you think they keep their gigantic discounts? CONTROL!

And read the first three sentences from genejockey. I may very well be his agent, considering his screen name. He's spot on.

genejockey said:
There is not a marketing firm on the planet that could overcome the mess the US Airways is in right now. My company has an enormous contract with US Airways. We were advised to exclusively book on any carrier other than US Airways. Even colleagues, family and friends talk of flying any carrier but US Airways for vacations. Such a sad turn of events. And now you have Delta unvieling their new fare structure its just insult to injury. I think US Airways days are clearly numbered. Good luck everyone.
[post="235816"][/post]​

What REALLY pisses me off when I hear things like this is that NOWHERE...NOWHERE was there a big brew haha over the more than 2000 f/a's at American that called off sick over Christmas. Oh and let's not forget the tiny blurb about the 28hr hostage situation on the NWA airplane. YOU PEOPLE BEAT ALL!! Yeah, what happened at U was unfortunate, but if you are going to book away from screwed up airlines, then your choices are limited to about 2 airlines. Short of SWA, JB, and MAYBE Airtrans, NONE...again NONE of the other airlines are out of the woods, mustless making a dime.

I am truely convinced that US Airways is the airline that Americans love to hate. Please just go to your other f###ing airlines. I am as over people who write this sh!t as I am US management!! :angry: :angry:

During a visit to the Doctors office yesterday, this became a topic of discussion.
He was planning a trip later this month to the Islands somewhere, and decided to book on a competitor instead of US. He has been a loyal US passenger over the years, but was scared away by the "Liquidation" talk from the Alabama Gang.
The PHL Fiasco had nothing to do with his choice, but the public threats from CCY and ALA sure did. These folks have made a bad situation worse with their scare tactics thru the press. Have no fear as the concessions should cover the self inflicted additional loss they have caused.

With load factors running at 70% or better systemwide do people really have much choice? Its like how people complain about and say they hate using the NYC Subway, they complain but they still use it.

I asked this in another thread and got no reply:

Do bookings refer to people who bought a ticket from Jan 1 until now, or does it refer to the number of tickets sold for travel in January?

The Jan. Bookings may reflect a faulse sense of hope. Many of these passenges are returing from Holiday travel, or had vacations booked well in advance. They would have either lost money, or they couldn't get a seat for a low fare elsewhere.
February and on will show the true picture.

LOAD FACTORS mean nothing.
If passengers are burning FF miles, it is not helping the bottom line.

YEILD is King...........

Back