California sides with the animal rights nuts

I'm going to go out on a limb but I am guessing you did not even read the IIHS report. You just went with the op-ed piece, read what you wanted to read and stopped there.

There is more but if you want to read the actual report you can do so your self. The short verson is that Mr Fargop lied through his teeth.
:lol: :rolleyes:

There was a case out here I believe where someone pulled a dogs tongue out and taped it's mouth shut over the tongue. The dog survived and has been adopted out according to the news the other day.

I do not understand the mentality that allows someone to do that to another living thing. That level of cruelty takes twisted to a new level. I wonder if that is how the BTK douche and others got their start?

I am not prone to violence but a certain part of me would like to see this individuals butts kicked up between their shoulder blades.

Animal abuse should be punished and although the story is heart breaking, I,ve seen worse in my area. Just the surface-cat jousted with lighter fluid and started on fire. A puppy with mange was left near a dumpster with the sun on it on a 90 degree day. A house abandoned with cats dogs and exotics with no food and water in diplorable conditions and many dead. One animal tried to burrow its way out by digging up the walls.

Animal abuse has nothing to do with animal rights, but mindless people who abuse animals should be given the same.

As far as SUVs being safer, believe it or not, all vehicles are a lot safer today than they were 10 years ago, because they are easier to control. This is based on my years of driving in a snow belt with freezing temps. The article said that during the test crash it wasn't the battery, but more research is needed.

I agree that all vehicles are saver now than they were and that trend will continue. We have more advanced airbags, traction control, ABS, and a.host.of other safety features. More importantly the alloys being used are far stronger and lighter than the old steel being used. Auto CAD design is much more.effective as well to design passenger compartments that are stronger and safer.

I'm going to go out on a limb but I am guessing you did not even read the IIHS report. You just went with the op-ed piece, read what you wanted to read and stopped there.

There is more but if you want to read the actual report you can do so your self. The short verson is that Mr Fargop lied through his teeth.

So now we’re talking about single vehicle crashes, rollovers? The point I was trying to make went right over your head!

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing you never actually read the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety report did you?

http://www.iihs.org/...s/pr041409.html

The laws of physics will always prevail. One is the weight of a crashing vehicle, which determines how much its velocity will change during impact. The greater the change, the greater the forces on the people inside and the higher the injury risk. The second factor is vehicle size, the distance from the front of a vehicle to its occupant compartment. The longer this is, the lower the forces on the occupants.

In a collision involving two vehicles that differ in size and weight, the people in the smaller, lighter vehicle will be at a disadvantage. The bigger, heavier vehicle will push the smaller, lighter one backward during the impact. This means there will be less force on the occupants of the heavier vehicle and more on the people in the lighter vehicle. Greater force means greater risk, so the likelihood of injury goes up in the smaller, lighter vehicle.

The death rate per million 1-3-year-old minis in single-vehicle crashes during 2007 was 35 compared with 11 per million for very large cars. Even in midsize cars, the death rate in single-vehicle crashes was 17 percent lower than in minicars. The lower death rate is because many objects that vehicles hit aren't solid, and vehicles that are big and heavy have a better chance of moving or deforming the objects they strike. This dissipates some of the energy of the impact.

Some proponents of mini and small cars claim they're as safe as bigger, heavier cars. But the claims don't hold up. For example, there's a claim that the addition of safety features to the smallest cars in recent years reduces injury risk, and this is true as far as it goes. Airbags, advanced belts, electronic stability control, and other features are helping. They've been added to cars of all sizes, though, so the smallest cars still don't match the bigger cars in terms of occupant protection.

Is that enough "statistical evidence" for you? Where's the "statistical evidence" to support your claim?

I'll bet this still doesn't shut her up.
Do you have any info that proves the IIHS study wrong?

Not saying it's wrong :rolleyes:

If we are talking collisions(as we were) and safety, as Ms. Tree pointed there haven't been many accidents with the green cars. As far as SUVs, the study is not wrong, but many times, not all, some things are due to the fact that some people shouldn't be driving SUVs.

I believe if you are going to drive an SUV you should be required to have a special license such as a CDL. In the snow, many people think 4X4 is a snow buster. These are the ones who wipe-out or end up in ditches. I believe it was circa 91 that Toyota came out with the 4Runner that had wheels that made it look like a monster truck. Working in the rental car field, our whole fleet of those vehicles were in roll-over accidents. Hillbillies used them to go baja-ing and the inevitable laws of physics got the best of them.

Do you have any info that proves the IIHS study wrong?

Are you talking about the op-ed piece from the guy who lied through his teeth or are you talking about the actual IIHS report you haven't read yet?

I trust the IIHS report as factual and have nothing to suggest the study is wrong.

So now we’re talking about single vehicle crashes, rollovers? The point I was trying to make went right over your head!

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing you never actually read the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety report did you?

http://www.iihs.org/...s/pr041409.html

Is that enough "statistical evidence" for you? Where's the "statistical evidence" to support your claim?

The discussion was regarding accidents in general. The report said that over all cars are going to be safer than trucks and suv's. Yes mass does play a large.part but when you look at the vehicles.with higher death rates the SUV/truck and small.cars are at the bottom of the pile.

Not saying it's wrong :rolleyes:

If we are talking collisions(as we were) and safety, as Ms. Tree pointed there haven't been many accidents with the green cars. As far as SUVs, the study is not wrong, but many times, not all, some things are due to the fact that some people shouldn't be driving SUVs.

I believe if you are going to drive an SUV you should be required to have a special license such as a CDL. In the snow, many people think 4X4 is a snow buster. These are the ones who wipe-out or end up in ditches. I believe it was circa 91 that Toyota came out with the 4Runner that had wheels that made it look like a monster truck. Working in the rental car field, our whole fleet of those vehicles were in roll-over accidents. Hillbillies used them to go baja-ing and the inevitable laws of physics got the best of them.

I agree with the CDL idea but i think that driving courses in general need a massive overhaul. Most people have no idea how to drive in dangerous conditions. The first.year.I moved here in 97 there was a snow storm. As I recall there were.over 100 accidents in less then 24 hours. I see people on a regular basis sitting their brakes and turning their wheel on a bridge where there is ice. You have parents buying their 17 yr old kid a 500 hp mustang and setting them loose. Then he wraps it around a tree and they are all up in arms.