Can you spare a twenty ( $20), please................

AA's management is not perfect and may have aided in causing the current mess the airline finds itself in, but the inflexibility and unwillingness of many others to adapt to the changes that must be made in the industry is also harmful. High fuel prices have helped to reveal the full scope of the issues at AA, and assaulting each party's intelligence is certainly not going to solve any problems.

Are you turning into a (mis)management apologist?

On this site or somewhere else (I honestly can't remember) a person made a comparison that made a lot of sense; AMR's management "Team", from the top down, is badly inbred, for lack of a better illustration. No new blood and ideas have entered the arena for years, leaving those in charge literally inbred in their thinking as the stereotypical hillbilly clan.

Perhaps that's because AMR can't afford to pay to bring in new blood without pissing off the unions....

Y'all #### about how much the CEO and CFO make. How much do you think it would cost to bring in a CFO from another Fortune 100 company?

I'd almost guarantee you it would be more than the salaries and benefits of Garton, Del Valle and Redding combined....

There's a lot of outside blood that came in during 1997-2000. Since then, AMR hasn't exactly been the most desireable place to work from a salary perspective.

Are you turning into a (mis)management apologist?
Indeed no. I am simply making the observation that this is the time to be proactive and not sit back and dig in our heels and hope for the best - this includes management.

Excuse the bluntness, but I would rather be honest in my views than sidestepping past those that feel otherwise - blame it on bedrest hormones.

Perhaps that's because AMR can't afford to pay to bring in new blood without pissing off the unions....

Y'all #### about how much the CEO and CFO make. How much do you think it would cost to bring in a CFO from another Fortune 100 company?

I'd almost guarantee you it would be more than the salaries and benefits of Garton, Del Valle and Redding combined....

There's a lot of outside blood that came in during 1997-2000. Since then, AMR hasn't exactly been the most desireable place to work from a salary perspective.

My point was that new people don't make a difference when the thinking doesn't change.

There seems to be a pool of those deemed qualified for a C(X)O position (where 'x' is the variable - insert "F", "E", or whatever) and they bounce around spreading whatever is they do respectively. The pool is stagnant. Chlorine is needed.

The House of Reps and the Senate both have their protections - no more than one third of either house can be replaced during any given election cycle. This was done by those who wrote the Constitution in order to cut down on transitional confusion but is used now as a way to keep any meaningful change from happening in those two houses. The business world is no different in that only certain "team players" are considered for positions that could have an impact. Original thought is verboten.

Fresh thinking is all that will save the AMR and the airline industry - the "team" concept as currently practiced is more about putting down original thought than it is about repairing an obvious problem. The solution(s) most likely will not be from the annointed ones (the Fortune 100 list) - these people react predictably; i. e., the same way. Too many of the wrong people would have to change their ways in order for real and significant change to take place. If this "sacrifice" thing we're expected to embrace was half as good as presented by management (and those they pay to do their jobs for them), we working people would never get a chance to do it.

Once upon a time, it was heresy to say the earth revolved around the sun. The very idea of the earth being anything but the center of everything went against church teachings and the fellow saying earth wasn't the center of all had some really bad stuff happen to him.

Name for me any instance where following conventional wisdom and the pack resulted in meaningful gains.

My point was that new people don't make a difference when the thinking doesn't change.

There seems to be a pool of those deemed qualified for a C(X)O position (where 'x' is the variable - insert "F", "E", or whatever) and they bounce around spreading whatever is they do respectively. The pool is stagnant. Chlorine is needed.

The House of Reps and the Senate both have their protections - no more than one third of either house can be replaced during any given election cycle. This was done by those who wrote the Constitution in order to cut down on transitional confusion but is used now as a way to keep any meaningful change from happening in those two houses. The business world is no different in that only certain "team players" are considered for positions that could have an impact. Original thought is verboten.

Fresh thinking is all that will save the AMR and the airline industry - the "team" concept as currently practiced is more about putting down original thought than it is about repairing an obvious problem. The solution(s) most likely will not be from the annointed ones (the Fortune 100 list) - these people react predictably; i. e., the same way. Too many of the wrong people would have to change their ways in order for real and significant change to take place. If this "sacrifice" thing we're expected to embrace was half as good as presented by management (and those they pay to do their jobs for them), we working people would never get a chance to do it.

Once upon a time, it was heresy to say the earth revolved around the sun. The very idea of the earth being anything but the center of everything went against church teachings and the fellow saying earth wasn't the center of all had some really bad stuff happen to him.

Name for me any instance where following conventional wisdom and the pack resulted in meaningful gains.
Hey Goose, I really hate to correct you on one thing but I must. All House of Representative members are elected every two years. They have job security because the American public has shown its lack of backbone to throw the pinheads out.

Hey Goose, I really hate to correct you on one thing but I must. All House of Representative members are elected every two years. They have job security because the American public has shown its lack of backbone to throw the pinheads out.

You're right, Joe - I was thinking Senate.

Hey - I'm old.

Latest posts

Back