Cancun???

Columbia blue

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Word''s going around that AWA will be starting service to Cancun on June 1st or 2nd...No press release as of yet...and it''s not loaded into the system either (yet)...Dont know what they would fly the route with..it would be a nice addition.

Cancun would be great, but I don't think AWA has ponied up the $$ for the necessary equipment to do over-water flights.

It makes sense after the divorce with Continental. I'd like to see Cozumel rather than Cancun, much higher yields.

Depending on the routing, overwater equipped a/c are not necessary. Alaska has been serving CUN for just about a year without having overwater equipped a/c.

Hey MGA, long time no see, I used to chat with you on the Alt.rec.aviation.airlines board, I took early retirement in exchange for lifetime non-rev status on HP...

Got one of them jobs that pays...what a concept!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/27/2003 10:35:20 AM Cart Pusher wrote:

Depending on the routing, overwater equipped a/c are not necessary. Alaska has been serving CUN for just about a year without having overwater equipped a/c.
----------------
[/blockquote]

It does require extra flight time and fuel.
Non-overwater routing from PHX (or LAX for AS) requires a dip around the southern edge of the Gulf of Mexico (the Gulf of Campeche portion) and then across the Yucatan.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/27/2003 9:20:24 PM HPearlyretiree wrote:

Hey MGA, long time no see, I used to chat with you on the Alt.rec.aviation.airlines board, I took early retirement in exchange for lifetime non-rev status on HP...

Got one of them jobs that pays...what a concept!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Assume you mean rec.travel.air--I still check out the idiots and occasional intelligent poster over there from time to time.
You'll like this: There was a guy on there the other day whining about the HORRIBLE HP experience he had. Seemed his biggest complaint was that at LAX he "almost missed his flight" because they had the NERVE to change his departure gate from 13 to 9.
If you know T-1 at LAX (I'm sure you do), you'll realize that gates 9, 11, and 13 are all in the same departure area and are separated by, what, 30 or 40 feet?

Yeah, I haven't looked over there in ages, it was even more ignorant than the Yahoo stock board! It was a complete waste of time trying to explain airline related issues with them.

Cancun would be great, but would the extra costs of flying it over land be worth the savings for overwater equipment?

It always kills me to see Allegro running a jurrassic 727 charter from PHX to CUN