Capt. James Simmons'' true feelings

AAirMale

Nov 26, 2002
As if we didn''t have enough to deal with right now! This letter was written by an American Airlines captain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on Fri, May. 02, 2003

Proved Point
Star-Telegram

American Airlines flight attendants finally showed a modicum of intelligence by ratifying the concessions. Of the three main work groups, they were asked for the smallest concession package, and yet they blindly almost drove our airline into bankruptcy. The flight attendants are among the highest-paid nonskilled labor groups in the country. Although some have college degrees, they''re not required. A training course of six weeks gets you into a job with some of the best
benefits around.
You''ve proved your point -- now let''s get back to work.
Capt. James Simmons, American Airlines, Fort Worth
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And some responses:

In defense of flight attendants
Star-Telegram

In his Friday letter, Proved point, American Airlines Capt. James Simmons wrote: American Airlines flight attendants finally showed a modicum of intelligence by ratifying the concessions.

Assuming from that statement that he voted for the concessions, it is he who showed much less than a modicum of intelligence.

The voting was in many cases coerced, bullied, tainted and reeked of foul play.

The document that Simmons signed up for was ever-changing and still not complete when the votes were counted. Even today, Simmons has no idea, in total, what he signed up for.

Simmons also wrote that the flight attendants were asked for the smallest concession package, and almost drove our airline into bankruptcy.

The only reason that we were, and still are, on the verge of bankruptcy can be laid squarely at the feet of the executives of American Airlines.

Simmons'' arrogance in blaming bankruptcy on a group of hard-working, underpaid employees, because they stood up for a fair and legal vote, showed that his intelligence, like so many of our employees, is on furlough.

American Airlines Capt. John Wrinkle, Southlake

Simmons has a short memory. Doesn''t he recall that many flight attendants supported the pilots when the pilots'' union last negotiated a contract?

I don''t agree that flight attendants are well-paid, but if Simmons believes that they are among the highest-paid nonskilled labor groups in the country, he had better do more research.

I personally know an American Airlines flight attendant who is a member of the Texas Bar Association and another who is a pediatrician and a member of the New England College of Surgeons.

Neither of them found the happiness they expected in their professions and are keeping busy as flight attendants. Both intend to return to their professions eventually.

I understand that at least 20 other attorneys, several dentists and two other medical doctors work as flight attendants. The next time Simmons looks into the eyes of a flight attendant, he had better do so with some humility.

The flight attendants had good reason to balk at accepting concessions. After concessions and lost benefits, the salary of a flight attendant may not be enough to live on. Of course pilots can feel differently about concessions because of their extremely high salaries.

Simmons'' letter was very condescending and an insult to his co-workers. A gentleman would offer an apology, and a great corporation would send such an employee to a six-week training course in human relations.

Paul L. Emond, Fort Worth

Simmons proved one thing in his letter, Proved point: He isn''t a team player. Indeed, I was surprised that this unwarranted criticism of flight attendants came from an American Airlines employee.

My only real interest in American Airlines is being a satisfied customer. Although you can''t fly without pilots, it takes a team to properly run an airliner.

From my experience, the backbone of the company has always been the flight attendants. I can''t remember ever having a problem with one of them, and several have really saved the day for my family and me over the years.

Describing flight attendants as nonskilled labor is like calling the pilots button pushers and lever pullers.

Given the job and responsibility involved, I highly doubt that flight attendants are overpaid.

One of the greatest advances in flying was about 15 years ago, when most flights became smoke-free. The person most responsible for that lifesaving measure was an American Airlines flight attendant, to whom we can all be grateful.

David Fusco, Arlington

I''ve been a flight attendant for 22 years (19 with American Airlines), and I have to respond to Simmons'' statement that we are nonskilled labor.

I''m trained on the Super 80, 757, 767, 777 and Airbus. I fly to D/FW once a year for two days of recurrent training.

As flight attendants, we''re trained in fighting fires in flight, decompression, evacuations, first aid, ditching, etc. We''re also trained in security matters that we can''t discuss with the public.

Just ask flight attendants on AA Flight 63, from Paris to Miami, on Dec. 22, 2001. By helping to stop the shoe bomber, they saved more than 200 lives.

On Sept. 11, 2001, flight attendants did the heroic. On AA Flights 11 and 77, they made phone calls that provided authorities with vital information about the hijackings and influenced American Airlines to ground its fleet before the Federal Aviation Administration made the same decision. Flight attendants on other flights that day held it together, not knowing if they might be next to be flown into buildings.

Simmons should try to explain to the families and friends of Rene May, Michele Heidenberger, Ken Lewis and Jennifer Lewis his comment about nonskilled labor. They were flight attendants aboard Flight 77, which was flown into the Pentagon.

By his disrespect for our profession, Simmons became a discredit to his.

Valerie Everett, Alexandria, Va.

AAirMale,
While I completely agree that this so Called captain is out of line, My only gripe is that I would hope someone would take the high road here and not use this to drive a wedge between our two groups. There is entirely too much animosity and we need to work together.

Captain Simmons is a complete discrace to the pilot profession and lacks even one od-decorum of integrity to say things like that in public forum. There are many many other good pilots at AA and this just happens to be part of the unfortunate 2-3% that can ruin it for everyone. Having said that, I would hope that the 97% of FA''s that are an inspiration to your profession will look past this and continue to do the fine job that you do.

Gadget
A Pilot

I think the reason AAirmale put the "Capt" in quotations is that James Simmons is supposedly a 777 DFW F/O.

If that is the case, he discredited his entire letter by misrepresenting which seat he occupies.

Supposedly, some F/As got a hold of his address and phone number. I received that info in a personal (group) email. You know the drill: TELEphone, TELEgraph, TELL-A-FLIGHT ATTENDANT...LOL.

"Captain" Blanche is in for a bumpy night (or flight, take your pick).

I seriously hope he is in the bottom 2-3%, based on my experience working with the cockpit, he is.

Coop

This idiot hasn''t been an American Airlines Captain for more than 15 months. His title now is First Officer. If he can''t deal with the fact, he should see AA Medical.

I know the feeling. I was proud to be an AA Captain. I have never referred to myself as one since I was displaced.

You get paid what you negotiate.

Exactly my point, Mach,

As of 02Jul, I will become "Coop the Furloughed"...sigh.

The attrition numbers (especially for Overage Leaves) are surprisingly higher than I imagined. I hope every single one of us is recalled (all groups) within 1-2 years.

I hope you get your left seat back very soon

Coop

----------------
On 5/12/2003 12:44:44 PM flydcoop wrote:

Exactly my point, Mach,

As of 02Jul, I will become "Coop the Furloughed"...sigh.

The attrition numbers (especially for Overage Leaves) are surprisingly higher than I imagined. I hope every single one of us is recalled (all groups) within 1-2 years.

I hope you get your left seat back very soon

Coop

----------------​
Coop, where did you find out the numbers? Sorry to hear about your predicament. I have been looking all day and nothing so far. I have been on AAFLTSVC.com and the APFA BB when I could log on and there wasn''t anything. Jane Allen says it''ll be the 14th and 16th before we know the numbers and who will be sent to St Louis. Thanks for the info.

Mike-BOS

Does anyone know the U.S. Dep of Labor definitions of unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled labor. "Captain" Simmons used the term "nonskilled" which is not a generally accepted classification and might well be regarded as a pejorative.

As an example, in the little that I could find, an Electrician is generally regarded as "skilled" labor. A Flight Attendant position clearly does not require the level of skill that is required of an electrician position. (The fact that some F/As might have advanced degrees or have been Doctors or Lawyers in another life is not relevant to the skill level of the FA job. And unless the term is just being used to differentiate them from people who are Flight Attendants as a hobby as opposed to doing it for a living, "..Professional.." in the name of the union is not relevant either.) (N.B. - I the same vein, I don''t believe that Mechanics or Pilots are members of a "Profession" either.)

Of course, not everybody can be judged by the alleged "difficulty" or "skill level" of their job. If so, any high school dropout could be Secretary of State or the US Ambassador to England.

MK

meechy36,

My numbers are coming from Jane Allen's last hotline. 873 put in for a 1 year leave, it was I believe, 1023 leave requests total, but the 9month and 3month leaves have to be combined to make a 1 year leave. One of those only had 31 requests. My conservative numbers are 800 OL, approx 1000 retirements. (retirements-my guess based on what I'm hearing...usually 770 as of 1 month ago, supposedly 400 this month from the aa4m).

The voluntary transfers to STL are not looking very good. I believe it was just over 250 and that closed yesterday. The bases with overages (MIA, LAX, and DFW) will be where the forced transfers come from (being the "most senior" of the junior bases).

I have to admit, the most recent Jane Allen hotline was quite refreshing...it seemed honest and at least was some indicator of what's going on. If the company wants to continue in that direction with their communications, I'm all for it.

Hope that helps, sorry for not having the accurate numbers. I erred on the conservative side and figured the furlough number could be knocked from seniority 18399 to hopefully around 20200. I'm fully expecting furlough but with those numbers I may be forced to STL.

I don't know if the Intl falloffs for JFK will affect their possible domestic overage. With the furloughs, it could even out.

MIA has 150 INTL falloffs and quite the domestic overage already. Looks like many forced transfers may come from MIA.

Just my 2 cents,

Coop