Cell Phones

Captain Ed

Oct 11, 2003
Brick NJ
Visit site
I don't own a Cell Phone (Yeah, I know, I'm a Ludite), and I would like to know if someone in the cabin can initiate a Cell Phone call while cruising at altitude to a number on the ground, and carry on a normal conversation.

Captain Ed said:
I don't own a Cell Phone (Yeah, I know, I'm a Ludite), and I would like to know if someone in the cabin can initiate a Cell Phone call while cruising at altitude to a number on the ground, and carry on a normal conversation.
You have to define "at altitude." If you mean 25k+, the answer is no. I think something around 12-14K feet is the limit for cell phone connection to a ground tower. And, that's just something I heard from a pilot. I have no "science" to back me up.

Capt. Ed - I've tried it and it doesn't work. I have heard some folks getting a "bounce" signal but it doesn't last very long.... Didn't you post an article regarding a new system that would allow pax to use thier phones (up to 26 I believe) at a flat rate? I flew from DFW to RIC a few months ago and some guy yaked on the air phone the whole 3.5 hr trip! I would have hated to see his bill.....
If I see anything on the new system I'll post it.
Best regards,
Dave

Flyer - Thanks. This is the response I am getting from many I asked this question of.

Now read the 911 Commission report. It cites many passenger and crew cell phone calls to the ground, and even has voice recordings of some, according to what I have read/heard.

Also, there seems to be some doubt about the video of the Arab hijackers passing security at Dulles. Is that really Dulles in the video?

I have a Blackberry device, and I can get a signal if I let the phone sit by the window for about 5 minutes...then I'm on the internet :up: (and the phone works too!!) Sometimes it takes longer, but not very often.

It is my understanding that most, if not all, of the 9/11 calls were made on airphones, not regular cell phones. The airphones use a different technology than cell phones, but I'm afraid I can't tell you what that is. (Not because I don't want to, but because I don't know!! :unsure: )

What do you want to know? AskMeNow

yo...anyone out there who has a cell phone or blackberry must check out this website. You can sign up for a free trial and ask any question that can be looked up on the internet and you will get a sms back on your cell phone or email on your blackberry within minutes. Go to askmenow.com to sign up.

Latest posts