changing careers..

If you are burned out at being an AMT after only twelve years but love and wish to remain in aviation forget about being an AMT and become an A&P in General Aviation. Forget about the shift work, rotating RDO,s, seniority list, realignments and union dues I won't even bring up the amount you pay in taxes. There is so much more out there. For me it's Warbirds, Bananzas and kit planes. If you have your IA there Is a lot of work out there. Granted its a tough market to break into but once your in, your in. The experimental side is booming. No IA required, though if you don't have it get it. Once a builder sells his plane the new owner has to have an A&P sign off the condition inspection. It's a lot of work but working for yourself is the most rewarding thing you will ever do. Another niche market is prop balancing. I was amazed at the amount of money that such a simple thing can generate. This guy has a regular route he makes and every time he comes here there are two to three planes waiting on him. Oh yes about those taxes, you would be amazed at the right offs available to you. Love working Monday thru Friday, days only. Customers like to treat you to lunch and let you use their condo in Keystone. So many options available to you. Aviation is a wonderful thing. Oh yea, if you don't have your pilots license, trade hundred hour inspections for flight time and instruction. Life can be good without the hassle of big businesses that only know you by your seniority date.

They pay as good as the big boys or you under 20?
Bet no union to bounce you out of either.....LOL

Reactions: 1 person
My wife has inspired me to go back to school also,She is currently doing the law thing after graduating TCU with honors...and her daughter is currently a BIC honor student in Baylor with a full ride.It can be done,for that matter anything is possible...

Law student here too. Really tough market right now, I wish her the best. What year is she in?

OP, I'm not sure what to tell you, other than don't be afraid to go back to school. The choice will really be whether to do a major university program for the solid reputation and job connections, a commuter school to balance work/course load (and probably have lots of folks in similar situations), or online. As far as the online route, maybe just do your basics online and the rest on campus. Professorial interaction can be crucial.